Are we an impolite society?

I've always found the folks from NYC to be an incredibly gracious bunch of people. I've had quite a lot of business dealings with people up there in my field, and they have all been some of the most cordial and welcoming people imaginable. Particularly, the coppers I've worked with from Brooklyn, in particular. I've come to believe that the native New Yorkers are some of the best people in the U.S.

Thats because we are.

I have been all over the country on business and personal reasons and I get the feeling that New York City is one of the few places where a neighborhood feels like a neighborhood....Kids playing on the street, neighbors actually look out for each other...at least thats how it was when I was growing up

I grew up in Brooklyn. Our neighborhood was like a small town. Everyone looked after each other.

Thats because we are.

I have been all over the country on business and personal reasons and I get the feeling that New York City is one of the few places where a neighborhood feels like a neighborhood....Kids playing on the street, neighbors actually look out for each other...at least thats how it was when I was growing up

We have that feeling in my neighborhood, but it has taken a lot of work to get to that point by some of us.

I've witnessed some bad manners on the subway and on the bus.

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't someone who is able to stand give up his/her seat to a pregnant lady? I know a pregnant lady when I see one and I couldn't believe not one person would give up his/her seat. I would have given up my seat if I had one, but there were many strong-able bodied people who pretended not to notice a pregnant woman holding onto a pole on the subway.

I had noticed this on many occasions on my commutes to/from work when I use to work full-time in Manhattan. Perhaps, people haven't been raised with good manners or they just didn't want to think about this pregnant lady because they wanted to read or rest their own legs. Perhaps, this is just a NYC thing.

What are your experiences?

When I was about 7 months pregnant with my oldest I had to go to Detroit for business. The shuttle from the airport to the hotel was full and I didn't get a seat. Not one person offered me a seat despite the fact that I was so obviously pregnant. It is NOT just NYC; I have seen this time and again. I honestly don't know what is wrong with people. They have no manners and less common sense if you ask me.

I think society today has become much more rude. Not everyone, but generally speaking. IMO, cell phones have speeded this up. People feel they can be complete assholes when they are on the phone and to hell with the other guy.

And can someone explain spitting to me? What, are we all on the baseball field with our chewing tobacco? I find this disguisting. When we took my daughter to college last fall, we were walking back to our car. Walking from inbetween two cars was someone's dad and he spit a HUGE loogie on the ground just as I was passing in front of him. I am no longer the silent minority on this. I told him off. My thoughts are if people are rude enough to act the way they do then I am well within my rights to let them know they are rude. And when I find out who is letting their dog poo on my front lawn and not cleaning it up, I will return the favor by doing the same. Course, I may miss the lawn and hit the drive by mistake. ;)

Forum List

Back