Are we an impolite society?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PoliticalChic, Jan 3, 2009.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,955
    A new year's resolution: Could we be a little more polite, please?

By Michael Deacon

Two years ago I was travelling by train from London to Edinburgh to spend Christmas with my family. All the seats were taken, so I had to stand in the aisle. I wasn't the only one. Standing a few feet away from me was an elderly man who looked familiar. The sergeant-major posture, the aquiline nose, the forbidding brow of an Easter Island monolith: Jack Charlton.

I was surprised. Not because I'd found myself sharing a standard-class train carriage with a much-loved former footballer, but because no one offered him a seat. A lot of the seats in the carriage were occupied by young men wearing football tops. Clearly, they liked football – and yet, just as clearly, they didn't like football enough to give up their seat to a man who had once helped their country to win the World Cup. Charlton, who was then aged 71, stayed on the train until it reached Newcastle. The journey took around three hours. He spent every minute on his feet, completing a crossword puzzle in a newspaper he had no surface to rest on.

I was surprised at the time. I don't think that I would be now. Because in 2008, Britain as a nation became ruder than ever. And I'm not even talking about the kind of rudeness that prompted Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand to leave chortlingly obscene messages on the answering machine of a blameless actor. I'm talking about bad manners.

More and more last year, it seemed that many of us thought it our right to offend or inconvenience others. We considered consideration beneath us. Today, as we decide on our New Year's resolutions for 2009, being more polite would make an excellent choice.

Read more below:

A new year's resolution: Could we be a little more polite, please? - Telegraph

2. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,955
    I've witnessed some bad manners on the subway and on the bus.

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't someone who is able to stand give up his/her seat to a pregnant lady? I know a pregnant lady when I see one and I couldn't believe not one person would give up his/her seat. I would have given up my seat if I had one, but there were many strong-able bodied people who pretended not to notice a pregnant woman holding onto a pole on the subway.

I had noticed this on many occasions on my commutes to/from work when I use to work full-time in Manhattan. Perhaps, people haven't been raised with good manners or they just didn't want to think about this pregnant lady because they wanted to read or rest their own legs. Perhaps, this is just a NYC thing.

What are your experiences?

3. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I find the nicer I am to people in the public the nicer they are to others and me.

It is truely contageous.

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Doesn't anyone (except my daughter and myself) write hand written thank you notes anymore?

It's a little thing, sure, but geez, someone takes the time to buy you a gift they think you would like....you could take a few minutes to drop them a note in the mail.

It means a lot to people, especially the grandparents.......they are thrilled with getting a letter in the mail, thanking them for the gift they sent their grandchild.

That, to me, is also good manners.

Also,like Truthmatters said, just looking people in the eye, saying "hi" and being friendly,,,,

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I just can not make myself write thank you notes.

I dont know what it is.

I usually call instead.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Well, of course England isn't a polite society.

They're not well armed society.

7. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,955
    I know what you mean. If someone took the time to find a gift for you, a thank you note seems so little. It's also how you were raised.

I also think that there is a "time-frame" to thank you notes.

A few years ago, my husband and I were invited to a couple's wedding. We didn't know the couple too well and the groom was a colleague of my husband's. We gave them a monetary gift and decided not to attend. I couldn't believe weeks went by and we never got a word of thanks either in writing or a call.

Several months went by and the husband made some excuse that they didn't get the photos back from the photographer and that was why the thank you notes were delayed.

We got the thank you note one year from when the gift was given. Some people will say, "well, better late than never." But it is truly inconsiderate to send the thank you notes that late. The notes should have been send out in a more timely manner without the photos. That whole situation left a very sour taste in my mouth...

8. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,955
    I think a call is just as good if not better. It's the acknowledgement that counts.

9. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,955
    LOL! But despite being relatively disarmed, I found that the gentlemen for the most part would rise up for a lady on the trains.

10. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Somehow I think editec would give his seat up to someone who needed it. :cool: