Are we an impolite society?

Weird, must be the area. I eat out quite a lot and never have run into something like that.

Oh, I have. Last time at a bar on December 26th. This 22 year old knew everything about baseball and was going on about it for 10 minutes or so (we all had empty beer glasses, BTW). Then I mentioned that my favorite Detroit Tiger was Kirk Gibson and she said: " Yeah, Gibson, he was, like, a pitcher, right?".

My friends and I, who had had several beers by then, just fell about laughing and she got really pissy with us. We didn't mean to laugh, but it was impossible not to after her saying she was the biggest Tigers fan of all time.

They are a pain, but they sure give you and your dinner companions something to chuckle about! :lol:

When I was younger I had a bunch of stoner friends ... they are cool to party with as long as none of them drive ... and we went to a diner where we had just that waitress. Spent almost the whole evening figuring out ways to mess with her. She was clueless to, thought she was 'in' with the group. She was so worried about belonging that she never realized we were laughing at her and openly mocking her the whole time. Aaah ... memories.

Oh, I have. Last time at a bar on December 26th. This 22 year old knew everything about baseball and was going on about it for 10 minutes or so (we all had empty beer glasses, BTW). Then I mentioned that my favorite Detroit Tiger was Kirk Gibson and she said: " Yeah, Gibson, he was, like, a pitcher, right?".

My friends and I, who had had several beers by then, just fell about laughing and she got really pissy with us. We didn't mean to laugh, but it was impossible not to after her saying she was the biggest Tigers fan of all time.

I understand where you're coming from, still seems to me a condescension to 'workers', who are just trying to get a good tip.

I understand where you're coming from, still seems to me a condescension to 'workers', who are just trying to get a good tip.

Best way to get a good tip is to do your job. There are workers and there are 'workers'.

Best way to get a good tip is to do your job. There are workers and there are 'workers'.

Agreed. Bring my food, hot. Drinks, cold. With that said, sounds like trying to display 'personality.' Might be wrong, but not rude.

I knew this guy who tipped a waitress a hundred dollars for knowing that! He also knew the meaning for all kinds of things like SHIT, or POSH!

LOL! If a waiter/waitress delivers my meal/drinks promptly, is pleasant, and not ingratiating, I'll tip well over 20%. If just prompt, 20%. If pleasant and a bit slow, 20%. If slow, nasty, but adequate, 10%. If rude, 0 and inform manager. Those are my standards.

POSH is know (Port out, Starboard home). SHIT?
ship high in transport because when the salt water would mix with the "shit" it would make ships explode or something. I wish I could remember the rest he told me!

Hang on! 'Insure' is wrong. It should be 'ensure'.

I think. Shouldn't it? :confused:

Got a point, Merrium:

Insure
transitive verb
1 : to provide or obtain insurance on or for
2 : to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions
intransitive verb

Ensure
: to make sure, certain, or safe

Got a point, Merrium:

Insure
transitive verb
1 : to provide or obtain insurance on or for
2 : to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions
intransitive verb

Ensure
: to make sure, certain, or safe

Hmmm. 'TEPS'. I like that.

I've witnessed some bad manners on the subway and on the bus.

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't someone who is able to stand give up his/her seat to a pregnant lady? I know a pregnant lady when I see one and I couldn't believe not one person would give up his/her seat. I would have given up my seat if I had one, but there were many strong-able bodied people who pretended not to notice a pregnant woman holding onto a pole on the subway.

I had noticed this on many occasions on my commutes to/from work when I use to work full-time in Manhattan. Perhaps, people haven't been raised with good manners or they just didn't want to think about this pregnant lady because they wanted to read or rest their own legs. Perhaps, this is just a NYC thing.

What are your experiences?

Rude people have forgotten that they are not the only people in the world. On the other hand, some people have such strict rules for how others should treat them that it's impossible to be polite to them on their terms.

neither are pleasant to deal with.

Forum List

Back