Are the US taxpayers obligated to bail out Puerto Rico

Is it fair that they get taxpayer-funded hurricane assistance?

• Yes

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
The dirty little secret is that U.S. taxpayers bail out Puerto Rico every freaking day. About 21 billion is allocated by the U.S. to Puerto Rico every year and disappears through lack of supervision by federal agencies. Drain the freaking swamp.
PR has been in the financial red for some time now. This disaster will no doubt be used to bail them out, rebuild their infrastructure, and provide new jobs for all...or welfare for those unwilling to work. (PS: I have family in PR.)
Just another case of Ka-CHINGGG!!!

Puerto Rico was doing well until Bushes cause economic collapse which they never fully recovered. Democrats have been on board letting them bankrupt part of their debt, but Republicans have been fighting that because it would directly effect venture capitalist and the tax shelter folks who hold a massive amount of paper.

Isn't it time for Republicans to stop fucking the little guys?
Isn't is time for government to stop fucking the little guys? Or will you tell me that Dems are not as guilty as Reps for pulling shit that favors their mega-buck owners?

It is a US Territory and thus they are citizens of the United States.

So, Yes.

Far more important is they are human beings.

No one is helping Cuba and there's no excuse for that.

Interestingly, the US Virgin Islands have gotten much more than PR has. BUT, they are several very small islands, with a total population of about 100K. Fewer of them and easier to get to but they got help much faster. Why?

BTW, pino trump has property on the island of Vieques. We still haven't heard from our friend there. We got an email from his wife, who was already in NY. She cannot get home and has no way of finding out if her husband is dead or alive.

Because the US Virgin Islands sound more American than Puerto Rico. Trump probably thinks that the US Virgin Islands are ours, but that Puerto Rico is a foreign country.

It's due to property ownership. More millionaires (including myself and Trump) own on the US Virgin Islands.

Wow. Y'all didn't say shit when red state Texas and Florida have their hand out for welfare .
dang! could the lefts anti-American bias be anymore obvious?...dear timmy, the entire point of the thread is see if we should bail out PR [we should] like we would if it were a state...and why are you claiming PR is looking for a welfare handout?...do you really consider their state of emergency to be a welfare handout?

Why don't you just cite for us the applicable differences, IN THE LAW, between the federal government's obligations to citizens living in states vs. citizens living in territories.
Because it would be far "applicable", not to mention far more accurate, to point out to you that, as is too often the case with you, what you suggest does not address the point and accusations being made, where as my post did just that and torpedoed the bogus claim in this thread, which is more than likely why you now would like to address something that attempts to draw attention away from that now obvious bogus claim...and now the same can be said of your post/claim.

The dirty little secret is that U.S. taxpayers bail out Puerto Rico every freaking day. About 21 billion is allocated by the U.S. to Puerto Rico every year and disappears through lack of supervision by federal agencies. Drain the freaking swamp.
PR has been in the financial red for some time now. This disaster will no doubt be used to bail them out, rebuild their infrastructure, and provide new jobs for all...or welfare for those unwilling to work. (PS: I have family in PR.)
Just another case of Ka-CHINGGG!!!

Puerto Rico was doing well until Bushes cause economic collapse which they never fully recovered. Democrats have been on board letting them bankrupt part of their debt, but Republicans have been fighting that because it would directly effect venture capitalist and the tax shelter folks who hold a massive amount of paper.

Isn't it time for Republicans to stop fucking the little guys?
Isn't is time for government to stop fucking the little guys? Or will you tell me that Dems are not as guilty as Reps for pulling shit that favors their mega-buck owners?

Democrats are pushing for higher pay for workers. Republicans are fighting higher pay for workers.

Are the US taxpayers obligated to bail out Puerto Rico

YES, since they are U.S. citizens - and Trump could start by repaying Puerto Rico for his bankrupt golf course.

when-a-trump-branded-golf-course-in-puerto-rico-went-27971151.png

So, Yes.

Interestingly, the US Virgin Islands have gotten much more than PR has. BUT, they are several very small islands, with a total population of about 100K. Fewer of them and easier to get to but they got help much faster. Why?

BTW, pino trump has property on the island of Vieques. We still haven't heard from our friend there. We got an email from his wife, who was already in NY. She cannot get home and has no way of finding out if her husband is dead or alive.

Because the US Virgin Islands sound more American than Puerto Rico. Trump probably thinks that the US Virgin Islands are ours, but that Puerto Rico is a foreign country.

It's due to property ownership. More millionaires (including myself and Trump) own on the US Virgin Islands.
You own it...............lol ............FIX IT........

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

So, Yes.

He probably considers Puerto Rico to be a skin tag.

Yes, the skin tag is part of you. Yes, your body supplies the skin tag with blood. No, the skin tag is not useful. You'd be better off if the skin tag was removed.

(Of course I personally don't think of Puerto Rico in this way...just making an accurate guess as to how Trump thinks of them)

Actually, today Trump basically said that PR was looking for a handout and that they should also help out in the relief effort.
"Basically said"? can you give me the exact quote, that comes across as one of those CNN claims, but in any case timmy made his left wing views about Americans getting "welfare handouts" during a state of emergency, so given the choice [given the choice being the operative phrase] between which claim Americans should be upset with and reject I know where I stand and where the liberals stand.

So, Yes.

I did. It's called insurance.

So, Yes.

I did. It's called insurance.
The whole Island...........you said you own the Island.............

Just messing with you.............LOL

Although it is the Christian and charitable thing to do, remember: Puerto Rico is not a state, therefore they pay no personal federal income tax.

What say ye?
I cannot answer the questions the way they are asked, we need to help in any way we can, both financially and in terms of manpower, but no we are not obligated to do so and it would not be unfair to not help, but it would be quite cruel and so not us.

Although it is the Christian and charitable thing to do, remember: Puerto Rico is not a state, therefore they pay no personal federal income tax.

What say ye?
I cannot answer the questions the way they are asked, we need to help in any way we can, both financially and in terms of manpower, but no we are not obligated to do so and it would not be unfair to not help, but it would be quite cruel and so not us.

We aren't obligated to help American citizens that are victims of a natural disaster?

'
All that is needed to bail out Puerto Rico is to screw the satanic bankers who got it into debt.

The satanic bankers screwed the rest of us in 2008 --- why shouldn't they get screwed, too?

What say ye?

We aren't obligated to help American citizens that are victims of a natural disaster?

I'm going to assume you did not read my previous posts though I am pretty sure you did.
Not sure where you are coming from or going with this, but morally we are obligated to help everyone in any kind of disaster natural or otherwise...but not obligated to give them welfare handouts as some insist that is what we are doing...for some reason I don't think this answer satisfied you, but if you can clear up the reason for the question you asked me I would be glad to answer it again.

Same with Texass, Florida. And Illinois has almost the exact same financial situation.

In answer to the OP - it depends.

If you're a RWNJ christian, only white people should be saved. If you're a normal person, you could not consider letting more than 3 million people die - of any color, creed, religion yadda yadda.
6eki3gs.jpg

When the going gets tough, its time to play golf.

What say ye?

I'm going to assume you did not read my previous posts though I am pretty sure you did.
Not sure where you are coming from or going with this, but morally we are obligated to help everyone in any kind of disaster natural or otherwise...but not obligated to give them welfare handouts as some insist that is what we are doing...for some reason I don't think this answer satisfied you, but if you can clear up the reason for the question you asked me I would be glad to answer it again.

Because it doesn't matter where they are... they are American citizens and should receive the same amount of support those did in Texas, Florida, or Louisiana. There shouldn't even be a question about this. There shouldn't be any question between morally obligated or just plain obligated.

Forum List

Back