Are the US taxpayers obligated to bail out Puerto Rico

Is it fair that they get taxpayer-funded hurricane assistance?

• Yes

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
Why is this even a question? Yes, of course we are obligated. Is there some actual legal argument circulating that we are not?
Limited funds should be equitably allocated among all recently affected locales. Those include: TX, FL, LA, PR, among others. I'd suggest calculating federal funding available/allocated and dividing it per capita of affected areas.

Hey...............PR has a lot of people on it. If you're going by per capita of people affected, I'd be willing to bet that PR would end up with the most money.

Why is this even a question? Yes, of course we are obligated. Is there some actual legal argument circulating that we are not?
Do you think the Jones act should be suspended for aid to PR?

I do. It's a law designed to protect American shipping between American ports by saying that ships carrying goods from American port to American port have to be American made and flagged ships. It makes sense during normal times, but during times of disaster, we should allow anyone who wants to send aid to do so, as well as get as many ships working on getting the aid to them.

Here....................check it out....................

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, also known as the Jones Act, is a United States federal statute that provides for the promotion and maintenance of the American merchant marine.[1] Among other purposes, the law regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. Section 27 of the Jones Act deals with cabotage and requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.[2] The act was introduced by Senator Wesley Jones.

Laws similar to the Jones Act date to the early days of the nation. In the First Congress, on September 1, 1789, Congress enacted Chapter XI, “An Act for Registering and Clearing Vessels, Regulating the Coasting Trade, and for other purposes”, which limited domestic trades to American ships meeting certain requirements.[3]

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 has been revised a number of times; the most recent revision in 2006 included recodification in the U.S. Code.[2] In early 2015, Senator John McCain filed for an amendment that would essentially annul the Act.[4]

Merchant Marine Act of 1920 - Wikipedia

Limited funds should be equitably allocated among all recently affected locales. Those include: TX, FL, LA, PR, among others. I'd suggest calculating federal funding available/allocated and dividing it per capita of affected areas.
Yeah that's like replacing the carpet after the roof blows off because that's all you can afford. Disasters should be the last place budget hawks get a say.

Hey...............PR has a lot of people on it. If you're going by per capita of people affected, I'd be willing to bet that PR would end up with the most money.
OK, so why would you argue with my suggestion? I have relatives in both PR and TX. The folks in PR are in a bad way. I've already asked what I can do to help and there's little one person can do to get food, water, and fuel to specific persons/families in PR. Since I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with the Red Cross, I'll put my money on the military personnel who are hacking their way to stranded communities.

If the US is not responsible for it why would the US claim it as a territory.

"You belong to us, except if we have to spend a dime to save your lives then you are just some castaways on some far away island. Give Wilson a call.

Do you think the Jones act should be suspended for aid to PR?

I do. It's a law designed to protect American shipping between American ports by saying that ships carrying goods from American port to American port have to be American made and flagged ships. It makes sense during normal times, but during times of disaster, we should allow anyone who wants to send aid to do so, as well as get as many ships working on getting the aid to them.

Here....................check it out....................

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, also known as the Jones Act, is a United States federal statute that provides for the promotion and maintenance of the American merchant marine.[1] Among other purposes, the law regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. Section 27 of the Jones Act deals with cabotage and requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.[2] The act was introduced by Senator Wesley Jones.

Laws similar to the Jones Act date to the early days of the nation. In the First Congress, on September 1, 1789, Congress enacted Chapter XI, “An Act for Registering and Clearing Vessels, Regulating the Coasting Trade, and for other purposes”, which limited domestic trades to American ships meeting certain requirements.[3]

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 has been revised a number of times; the most recent revision in 2006 included recodification in the U.S. Code.[2] In early 2015, Senator John McCain filed for an amendment that would essentially annul the Act.[4]

Merchant Marine Act of 1920 - Wikipedia
Thanks for the refresher. I am well aware of the Jones act because it affects my daily life. The Jones act extends to goods moved by aircraft, as well. If the government really wanted to help the recovery in PR, then the Jones act should be suspended for the duration. That would bring cheaper goods and supplies to PR in a much more timely manner. Unfortunately, the labor unions are screaming bloody murder and obstructing this very feasible means of getting relief to PR, and the Virgin Islands, too.

OK, so why would you argue with my suggestion? I have relatives in both PR and TX. The folks in PR are in a bad way. I've already asked what I can do to help and there's little one person can do to get food, water, and fuel to specific persons/families in PR. Since I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with the Red Cross, I'll put my money on the military personnel who are hacking their way to stranded communities.

Not arguing with you, just saying that PR would probably come out on top because they have the most people affected.

And yeah, not suspending the Jones Act for over a week was a serious blunder on Trump's part, because the Jones Act allows only American flagged and built ships to take cargo from one American port to the other. Since PR is out in the middle of the ocean, if you can get foreign flagged ships to take the aid down there, we should do so.

Especially since there is so much aid required, and I don't think there are enough ships going.

Besides................if other countries want to help us out, it would be stupid to refuse it because of some law from the 1920's.

It's funny isn't it that no matter how long all this goes on, you never ever get to the point where you can say with confidence,

well, conservatives have finally hit bottom. They can't possibly get any worse than this.

Because as soon as you begin to believe that, you get a thread like this.

Wow. Y'all didn't say shit when red state Texas and Florida have their hand out for welfare .
dang! could the lefts anti-American bias be anymore obvious?...dear timmy, the entire point of the thread is see if we should bail out PR [we should] like we would if it were a state...and why are you claiming PR is looking for a welfare handout?...do you really consider their state of emergency to be a welfare handout?

Not arguing with you, just saying that PR would probably come out on top because they have the most people affected.

And yeah, not suspending the Jones Act for over a week was a serious blunder on Trump's part, because the Jones Act allows only American flagged and built ships to take cargo from one American port to the other. Since PR is out in the middle of the ocean, if you can get foreign flagged ships to take the aid down there, we should do so.

Especially since there is so much aid required, and I don't think there are enough ships going.

Besides................if other countries want to help us out, it would be stupid to refuse it because of some law from the 1920's.
Never underestimate the political power of a monopoly, the shipping companies almost certainly just hired a shitload of lobbyists to protect their nice little racket. The Jones act will slam back down far sooner than anyone with a conscience wants.

Wow. Y'all didn't say shit when red state Texas and Florida have their hand out for welfare .
dang! could the lefts anti-American bias be anymore obvious?...dear timmy, the entire point of the thread is see if we should bail out PR [we should] like we would if it were a state...and why are you claiming PR is looking for a welfare handout?...do you really consider their state of emergency to be a welfare handout?

Why don't you just cite for us the applicable differences, IN THE LAW, between the federal government's obligations to citizens living in states vs. citizens living in territories.

Actually, today Trump basically said that PR was looking for a handout and that they should also help out in the relief effort.

What does he think they are doing? It sure as hell ain't just sitting around waiting for others to do all the work like Trump claimed.

The dirty little secret is that U.S. taxpayers bail out Puerto Rico every freaking day. About 21 billion is allocated by the U.S. to Puerto Rico every year and disappears through lack of supervision by federal agencies. Drain the freaking swamp.
PR has been in the financial red for some time now. This disaster will no doubt be used to bail them out, rebuild their infrastructure, and provide new jobs for all...or welfare for those unwilling to work. (PS: I have family in PR.)
Just another case of Ka-CHINGGG!!!

Puerto Rico was doing well until Bushes cause economic collapse which they never fully recovered. Democrats have been on board letting them bankrupt part of their debt, but Republicans have been fighting that because it would directly effect venture capitalist and the tax shelter folks who hold a massive amount of paper.

Isn't it time for Republicans to stop fucking the little guys?

Actually, today Trump basically said that PR was looking for a handout and that they should also help out in the relief effort.

What does he think they are doing? It sure as hell ain't just sitting around waiting for others to do all the work like Trump claimed.
When the bitch mayor stands in front of a pile of water and food and declares that there is no water and food, and military authorities inform that locals would rather complain than pitch in the hard labor of clearing up, what should people expect? There's a difference between helping oneself and complaining about lack of assistance. Personally, I believe that the people are digging and building as best they can given the supplies permitted by their government representatives filter through to them. Again, the liberal government narrative will not be served by ensuring that locals have what they need to survive and rebuild.

Forum List

Back