Are the US taxpayers obligated to bail out Puerto Rico

Is it fair that they get taxpayer-funded hurricane assistance?

• Yes

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
Although it is the Christian and charitable thing to do, remember: Puerto Rico is not a state, therefore they pay no personal federal income tax.

What say ye?
I cannot answer the questions the way they are asked, we need to help in any way we can, both financially and in terms of manpower, but no we are not obligated to do so and it would not be unfair to not help, but it would be quite cruel and so not us.

We aren't obligated to help American citizens that are victims of a natural disaster?

I'm going to assume you did not read my previous posts though I am pretty sure you did.
Not sure where you are coming from or going with this, but morally we are obligated to help everyone in any kind of disaster natural or otherwise...but not obligated to give them welfare handouts as some insist that is what we are doing...for some reason I don't think this answer satisfied you, but if you can clear up the reason for the question you asked me I would be glad to answer it again.

I guess you are kind of trying to say that there is no Federal Law that the Federal Government MUST use Federal Funds to help rebuild any areas in America which are damaged by natural or man-made disaster.

But that not doing so would be akin to putting a political gun to one's head and pulling the political trigger.

`
`

Facts;

1 - Historic population losses continue across Puerto Rico - Do the math.

2 - Puerto Rico has no mineralogical value.

3 - Puerto Rico has no industrial base.

4 - Puerto Rico has only two things of value; a) land and b) being a vacation attraction.​
`

Closed Puerto Rico factories are the sole source of some critical drugs

The Food and Drug Administration is worried that there could be shortages of some critical drugs normally produced in Puerto Rico if manufacturing plants there are closed for an extended period of time.
Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the commissioner of the FDA since May, arrived on Puerto Rico Friday to survey the situation and talk with pharmaceutical executives on the island. He said his agency has a list of about 40 drugs that it's concerned could be in short supply, 13 of which are made only in Puerto Rico.

"These are critical medicines. These are not drugs for which there are therapeutic substitutes," he told reporters on the flight to Puerto Rico Friday.

Powered by SmartAsset.com
SMARTASSET.COM
Related: Hurricane Maria could be a $95 billion blow to Puerto Rico

The FDA is also working to make sure that island residents can get the drugs they need.

There are about 50 pharmaceutical plants on the island and about 30 that make medical devices. The industry has about 90,000 jobs there, and accounts for about 75% of the goods shipped off the island. Most major pharmaceutical companies have some kind of manufacturing presence on the island, including Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Eli Lilly (LLY) and Amgen (AMGN).

Gottleib said it's important that the plants that make drugs and medical devices resume normal operations soon, not just to help the patients who need them, but for Puerto Rico's economic health.

"That manufacturing base is critical to long-term manufacturing success of the island, and also getting people back to work," Gottlieb said.

Related: Who will help Puerto Rico?

Bristol-Myers, Lilly and Amgen all told CNNMoney that they have adequate product inventory and there are not currently any shortages for their customers. They all said their major concern is the welfare of their Puerto Rican employees.

The good news is that the major factories suffered little damage, and most operating to some degree on generator power. The FDA's concern is making sure that those plants continue to get the fuel they need for the generators, the supplies they need to produce the drugs, and that the products they make can get off the island.

"We think we're getting ahead of it," he said about the potential for shortages. "The situation has been improving a lot since last week."

Another challenge to keeping the factories running: Many employees haven't been able to return to work since Hurricane Maria hit nine days ago.

"People are still taking care of their families," Gottleib said.

Although it is the Christian and charitable thing to do, remember: Puerto Rico is not a state, therefore they pay no personal federal income tax.

What say ye?

Wg3n were you before hurricane Maria?

The dirty little secret is that U.S. taxpayers bail out Puerto Rico every freaking day. About 21 billion is allocated by the U.S. to Puerto Rico every year and disappears through lack of supervision by federal agencies. Drain the freaking swamp.

Same with Texass, Florida. And Illinois has almost the exact same financial situation.

In answer to the OP - it depends.

If you're a RWNJ christian, only white people should be saved. If you're a normal person, you could not consider letting more than 3 million people die - of any color, creed, religion yadda yadda.

Why Christians and conservatives are the most racist and the least to go out of their way to help refugees and others in crisis? Wouldn't Jesus go above and beyond to help and provide?

..........."People are still taking care of their families," Gottleib said.
`
The pharmaceutical factory there is not the industrial/economic base of Puerto Rico. This is to say, it does not provide an economic base for the 'country.' It actually has a far larger manufacturing base but nowhere near as large to sustain it's debt load. Their leaders leveraged out the country so bad, the US banks can easily move in and take control of it's governing. Do you think the US government should forcefully remove all or part of Puerto Rico's debt?

It's a law designed to protect American shipping between American ports by saying that ships carrying goods from American port to American port have to be American made and flagged ships.
So the free market is not a good thing?

YES, since they are U.S. citizens - and Trump could start by repaying Puerto Rico for his bankrupt golf course.

when-a-trump-branded-golf-course-in-puerto-rico-went-27971151.png
You need to do a leetle more research about that golf course, dear. The owners renamed the course after Trump when they bought it. The bankruptcy was filed under the original name. President Trump never actually owned an interest in the course, even if he allowed his name to be appended to the venture. But it's OK, don't let fact interfere with your fantasy narrative.

What say ye?
I cannot answer the questions the way they are asked, we need to help in any way we can, both financially and in terms of manpower, but no we are not obligated to do so and it would not be unfair to not help, but it would be quite cruel and so not us.

We aren't obligated to help American citizens that are victims of a natural disaster?
As fellow citizens and fellow humans, hell, yes, we should do what we can to help others suffering such disastrous misfortunes. Should government be mandated to confiscate from individuals to provide support and rebuild for these unfortunates, NO. It is not the mandate of government to do such things, it is imperative that each man/woman reach out and contribute what he/she is willing and able to in order to aid others less fortunate

What say ye?

I'm going to assume you did not read my previous posts though I am pretty sure you did.
Not sure where you are coming from or going with this, but morally we are obligated to help everyone in any kind of disaster natural or otherwise...but not obligated to give them welfare handouts as some insist that is what we are doing...for some reason I don't think this answer satisfied you, but if you can clear up the reason for the question you asked me I would be glad to answer it again.
The difference between goodwill and charity and government coerced assistance is when individuals willingly and freely contribute to aiding those afflicted and less fortunate and government taking, by force, from individuals and then redistributing that "largess" as the politicians see most fit. In one instance, generosity flows from the source. In the second instance "generosity" is mandated and coerced and then doled out to only those entities considered worthy by the powers that take from those who would otherwise freely have given.
When government robs the public in order to distribute resources as politicians see fit, it leaves far less for individuals to contribute as they see fit.

I guess that we are not obligate to bail out Puerto Rico. We can simply give them independence, instead. This would cause a power vacuum, and the Island would probably belong to Cuba within 6 months.

Do you really think that the GOP is going to go along with that plan?

The dirty little secret is that U.S. taxpayers bail out Puerto Rico every freaking day. About 21 billion is allocated by the U.S. to Puerto Rico every year and disappears through lack of supervision by federal agencies. Drain the freaking swamp.

Same with Texass, Florida. And Illinois has almost the exact same financial situation.

If you're a RWNJ christian, only white people should be saved. If you're a normal person, you could not consider letting more than 3 million people die - of any color, creed, religion yadda yadda.

Why Christians and conservatives are the most racist and the least to go out of their way to help refugees and others in crisis? Wouldn't Jesus go above and beyond to help and provide?
How would you know? Are you christian?

YES, since they are U.S. citizens - and Trump could start by repaying Puerto Rico for his bankrupt golf course.

when-a-trump-branded-golf-course-in-puerto-rico-went-27971151.png
You need to do a leetle more research about that golf course, dear. The owners renamed the course after Trump when they bought it. The bankruptcy was filed under the original name. President Trump never actually owned an interest in the course, even if he allowed his name to be appended to the venture. But it's OK, don't let fact interfere with your fantasy narrative.

Do you know the whole story?

FACT CHECK: Did Donald Trump Bankrupt a Golf Course, Leaving Puerto Rico with $33 Million in Debts?

How would you know? Are you christian?
I've lived amongst them and still do.

Because it doesn't matter where they are... they are American citizens and should receive the same amount of support those did in Texas, Florida, or Louisiana. There shouldn't even be a question about this. There shouldn't be any question between morally obligated or just plain obligated.
Hmmm...the problem here is that the left has preached for decades that you should not impose/force your moral beliefs on anyone else...so if there is no difference between moral obligations and what ever the heck "plain obligations" are then shouldn't you be taking the lefties to task for this? and what makes trump racist if it is Americans he is not helping? can you explain that without torturing both logic and the language.

Because it doesn't matter where they are... they are American citizens and should receive the same amount of support those did in Texas, Florida, or Louisiana. There shouldn't even be a question about this. There shouldn't be any question between morally obligated or just plain obligated.
Hmmm...the problem here is that the left has preached for decades that you should not impose/force your moral beliefs on anyone else...so if there is no difference between moral obligations and what ever the heck "plain obligations" are then shouldn't you be taking the lefties to task for this? and what makes trump racist if it is Americans he is not helping? can you explain that without torturing both logic and the language.

I think I speak for many here, when I respond: What the fuck are you trying to say?

Forum List

Back