Are Men Better Drivers?

According to this article... yes??? (... but only HETERO men? ... hmmmm....)

Several studies have shown that heterosexual men are better at both navigating by north-south directions and at orienting themselves in three dimensional space than women.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18529_6-absurd-gender-stereotypes-that-science-says-are-true.html

Totally makes sense.
Men tend to push the envelope more while driving giving them more insight on how a vehicle reacts.
They understand things like oversteer,understeer and weight transfer.

Several studies have shown that heterosexual men are better at both navigating by north-south directions and at orienting themselves in three dimensional space than women.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18529_6-absurd-gender-stereotypes-that-science-says-are-true.html

Totally makes sense.
Men tend to push the envelope more while driving giving them more insight on how a vehicle reacts.

What a load of BS.

Without question men are better drivers

In my lifetime, I have never seen a man fail a drivers road test. I passed first time, my brothers passed first time, all my male friends in high school passed first time. My sons passed the first time all their male friends passed first time

My mother failed the first time, my sister failed, about a quarter of the girls I knew in school failed the first time

I've known a few who failed the first time. You are full of poopy this morning. :D

I guess our experience differs. I never saw a male fail the drivers test

Young women tend to be more nervous. They don't take to driving the way young men do. Not that young men are not more overconfident and reckless. But they are more skilled

In my lifetime, I have never seen a man fail a drivers road test. I passed first time, my brothers passed first time, all my male friends in high school passed first time. My sons passed the first time all their male friends passed first time

My mother failed the first time, my sister failed, about a quarter of the girls I knew in school failed the first time

I've known a few who failed the first time. You are full of poopy this morning. :D

Young women tend to be more nervous. They don't take to driving the way young men do. Not that young men are not more overconfident and reckless. But they are more skilled

I guess so. :) I passed the first time. So there! I only suck at driving in the snow. A few days after I got my license, I took my father's car into Boston. He was so pissed at me. Lol.

considering most accidents involve men acting stupid, I might have to disagree.
I will tell you this, when it comes to snow, its always males that are sitting in a ditch after sliding off the road.
Could just be that women are smart enough to know that the Honda Civic is not going to do well in 12" of snow, or maybe they realize that just because 4 wheel drive makes it so you can go, it does very little with stopping?
What women do have a problem with is their cell phones, looking in to cars on the way to work I would have to estimate 80% of women are talking or texting while driving.

Oh geez. :rolleyes-41: They are not more skilled. They are more risk takers and more aggressive, and that is why they pay more for car insurance. They pay more because they are more prone to car accidents.

Well, when someone is tailgating a woman, I think it is more normal for her to pull into the other lane and let the person pass and then be like, "hey, you asshole!" Whereas a man will try to prove that he is "manly" by trying to race and stay in front of this person. Or he might get really angry and start doing the braking bit that some do.

I guess so. :) I passed the first time. So there! I only suck at driving in the snow. A few days after I got my license, I took my father's car into Boston. He was so pissed at me. Lol.
I hate driving in Boston

The roads suck and so do the other drivers

I've been in two accidents, and BOTH were caused by the MEN driving the other cars. :D The first one was in the snow. A guy in front of me was taking a right. There were cars waiting on that same road to take lefts. Apparently, he took his corner too wide and had to back up and didn't even look! He backed up pretty much right in front of me on a snowy road, and I just couldn't stop in time.

The other time, I was just driving down the highway, minding my business, when some guy veered over into my lane and swiped the side of my car, taking out my headlight which was hanging by a thread afterwards. :rolleyes-41: Don't know what his problem was. He wasn't drinking or anything.

Oh, then another time, an old man did the same thing and swiped the side of my car and then proceeded to flip me off and drive away! My friend and I were like, :wtf:you hit us!!

I hate driving in Boston

The roads suck and so do the other drivers

Oh, that reminds me of this meme! :lol: It's just perfect, isn't it?

post-13279-Boston-Because-fuck-you-meme-I-4LBq.jpeg

Totally makes sense.

What a load of BS.

Totally true.
It's part of the reason some people cant drive in the snow actually.

Totally makes sense.

What a load of BS.

Totally true.
It's part of the reason some people cant drive in the snow actually.

Some PEOPLE, exactly. :D

while 24% of men, but only 16% of women, admitted to using hand-held mobiles while at the wheel.

Meaning the women lied more than the men in that survey. When I'm out jogging, I'll sometimes tally the cars going by. Men, about 25% are on the phone. Women, around 50%. At least during evening rush hour. At other times, phone use is less.

With a man and woman in the car, the man should generally drive. Why?

Two women talking will look at each other.

Two men talking will focus on the horizon somewhere, being direct eye contact is aggression.

So, the man drives, he's looking down the road, the woman is looking at him, everyone is happy.

The woman drives, she's looking at the man, and the man is looking down the road and screaming "TRUCK! TRUCK!".

Oh, there's also the old joke, about how women are bad at estimating distance because they're always getting told that this much (hold thumb and forefinger 4 inches apart) is 8 inches.

Not always. My brother always looks at the other person in the car while driving.
I never do.

I think it's a personality thing.
I also NEVER text while driving.

But you're on the phone?
Nope! All I do is listen to the radio... I'm not against being on the phone in the car, but, if you have not already figured IW, I'm not like most women....

I also don't like to shop or get my nails done........
Being on the phone in the car is illegal here and I'm glad. I see it all the time and see people driving like they're drunk because of it too.

But you're on the phone?
Nope! All I do is listen to the radio... I'm not against being on the phone in the car, but, if you have not already figured IW, I'm not like most women....

I also don't like to shop or get my nails done........
Being on the phone in the car is illegal here and I'm glad. I see it all the time and see people driving like they're drunk because of it too.

I'd like to have $1 for every time my husband has said "get off your g.d. cell phone!" to a driver...!

Well, the fact of the matter is, if men were BETTER drivers, then they would pay LESS for car insurance. Since, when they are young, they actually pay more than women the same age for car insurance tells us that no, in fact they are not "better" drivers. At young ages, they are in fact, worse drivers. The insurance companies take note of these things as they are important to their bottom line.

Forum List

Back