Are 'Gook' and 'Limey' racial epithets?

• Limey is but Gook isn't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It seems there is a fair amount of disagleement on this question, so I figured it was worth a poll.

Please vote and discuss.

Dunno...probably should run it by Gooks an Limeys...

All I know is when somebody calls me a "Mick" ..I have no problem...glad to know he/she/it knows they are addressing an Irish!

It seems there is a fair amount of disagleement on this question, so I figured it was worth a poll.

Please vote and discuss.

All I know is when somebody calls me a "Mick" ..I have no problem...glad to know he/she/it knows they are addressing an Irish!

Try calling a Scot a Mick and he'll rip your fuck'n head off. :lol:

Please vote and discuss.

I like to call Scots' "skirts"..:lol: They don't like that much either. :lol:

I think gook is but limey isn't.

More importantly, even if some social scientist might say I'm technically wrong about what constitutes a racial epithet, I personally think that gook is simply more offensive because of the contexts in which I've heard it. The insults which anglos toss around at their different subsets generally carry less offensive undertones than those which they use for other ethnicities.

jmho

Furthermore, your explanation is lacking IMO. You seem to think that gook is a racial epithet but limey is not, simply because in your opinion gook is more offensive. The question isn't which is the more offensive epithet, but whether they are both indeed 'racial' epithets.

I acknowledged that I might be incorrect about the technical definitions. I just add that I don't care that much about the technical definitions in this case. To me the connotations matter more.

Cho's joke implies that I am wrong - that the epithet "gook" applies to a particular nationality and not to Asians in general.

However, at the same time her joke implicitly acknowledges the general broader application in the minds of many.

You pose an interesting question. But for me the bottom line is that to me "gook" seems more hateful than "limey" does. :dunno:

More importantly, even if some social scientist might say I'm technically wrong about what constitutes a racial epithet, I personally think that gook is simply more offensive because of the contexts in which I've heard it. The insults which anglos toss around at their different subsets generally carry less offensive undertones than those which they use for other ethnicities.

jmho

Furthermore, your explanation is lacking IMO. You seem to think that gook is a racial epithet but limey is not, simply because in your opinion gook is more offensive. The question isn't which is the more offensive epithet, but whether they are both indeed 'racial' epithets.

I acknowledged that I might be incorrect about the technical definitions. I just add that I don't care that much about the technical definitions in this case. To me the connotations matter more.

Cho's joke implies that I am wrong - that the epithet "gook" applies to a particular nationality and not to Asians in general.

However, at the same time her joke implicitly acknowledges the general broader application in the minds of many.

You pose an interesting question. But for me the bottom line is that to me "gook" seems more hateful than "limey" does. :dunno:

But probably less hateful than ******? :dunno:

Hateful??? You want hateful???

'SAN ANTONIO -
A local school district is apologizing after an apparent incident of racism at a boys high school basketball game this past weekend.

When the final whistle blew Saturday, Alamo Heights celebrated a convincing victory over San Antonio Edison.

Alamo Heights Head Coach Andrew Brewer said he was proud of his team.

"Tremendously proud,” Brewer said. “Tremendously. It's the best group of kids."

But it was just after the trophy presentation when the coach was not proud of the chant coming from Alamo Heights fans.

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.'
Racial incident mars high school game | Defenders - Home

Seems that 'the offended' can find anything a slur.

Hateful??? You want hateful???

'SAN ANTONIO -
A local school district is apologizing after an apparent incident of racism at a boys high school basketball game this past weekend.

When the final whistle blew Saturday, Alamo Heights celebrated a convincing victory over San Antonio Edison.

Alamo Heights Head Coach Andrew Brewer said he was proud of his team.

"Tremendously proud,” Brewer said. “Tremendously. It's the best group of kids."

But it was just after the trophy presentation when the coach was not proud of the chant coming from Alamo Heights fans.

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.'
Racial incident mars high school game | Defenders - Home

Seems that 'the offended' can find anything a slur.

Wow

Hmmmm ... dunno ... the n-word is in an odd category these days

shifting sands .....

Technically speaking, both are as racially offensive as nignog, darkie, ****, wetback, etc. But in terms of context, one important factor that's been overlooked in this thread with regards to the epithet 'limey' is, however supposedly applauding the subject's approach to vitamins, that it was created during a time of conflict. Remembering this is important because the person using it will have already subconsciously set a context: they've connected a nationality with an event in history in which the accompanying epithet was created, and will have no-doubt have been spat with contempt by its creators. It was used to identify an enemy. And in doing so the person using it in the present will have brought back, however directly, all or some of the past animosity to the fore. I mean, how many of you can honestly say that when you've used it against me or any of USMB's other resident Brits, it hasn't been used in an antagonistic scenario?

All being said and done, I've never taken any genuine offence at being called a 'limey' and will always endeavour to spike any reply with an equal dose of (however good natured) provocation.

PS. JewHook93 is not only a Jewish fascist, he's an undeniable racist who's got a history of tossing the n-word around backstage.

Last edited:
Brits were called Limeys because British sailors used to eat limes to fend off scurvy it had nothing to do with race

Online Etymology Dictionary

I don't see how that matters.

It has nothing to do with race.

It was a moniker derived from a habit or activity not from the race of the people eating limes.

And besides last time I checked British and specifically British sailors were not then nor now considered to be their own race so by definition the term cannot be racist.

Brits were called Limeys because British sailors used to eat limes to fend off scurvy it had nothing to do with race

Online Etymology Dictionary

It was a moniker derived from a habit or activity not from the race of the people eating limes.

And besides last time I checked British and specifically British sailors were not then nor now considered to be their own race so by definition the term cannot be racist.

The dictionary definition I posted conflicts with your opinion.

Definitions change etymology doesn't.

Please vote and discuss.

Nationality and race are two different things.

You mean like the etymology of gook and that it refers specifically to Korean nationals and not all Asians? :eusa_whistle:

Nationality and race are two different things.

Perhaps, except for the fact that in modern parlance the two are used almost synonymously.

You mean like the etymology of gook and that it refers specifically to Korean nationals and not all Asians? :eusa_whistle:

I guess if people called ALL white people limey and not just people with British accents you might be able to argue that limey is racist but no one has ever called me with my New England accent a limey.

Now one guy asked if I was from New Jersey and that fucking offended me. Maybe New Jersyites are their own race too so the term Jersey girl could be considered racist

I guess if people called ALL white people limey and not just people with British accents you might be able to argue that limey is racist but no one has ever called me with my New England accent a limey.

Now one guy asked if I was from New Jersey and that fucking offended me. Maybe New Jersyites are their own race too so the term Jersey girl could be considered racist

So your argument rests on applying the common usage of the term 'gook' and ignoring it's etymology, while applying the etymology of the term 'race' and ignoring it's common usage.

Seems conveniently inconsistent to me. :dunno:

jmho

Han-kook is the Korean language in Korean; hence, 'gook.'
Lots of folks can't tell Chinese, Koreans, Japanese apart by looking at them.

Forum List

Back