Are 'Gook' and 'Limey' racial epithets?

Are 'Gook' and 'Limey' racial epithets?

• Limey is but Gook isn't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gook, yes. Limey, meh, depends on how sensitive the Brit is... Limey was certainly used as a pejorative way back when, but I am of the opinion that it has pretty much lost its sting...
I used the term with a student from GB in college; I knew him well. I would NOT ask someone I just met with a British accent "Are you a limey"?

Of course not. Ethnic slurs are also offensive and unnecessary.

Here's a question, if we're a society making an attempt at multiculturalism, why are we encouraging the idea that certain racial words are worthy of taking racially-based offense, regardless of the context in which the words are used? If we hold to an ideal of racial harmony, why encourage -any- reason for various ethnicities to feel singled out? Rather than finding reasons to justify taking offense to shit even when it isn't used in a malicious context, why not just bang back on the sensitivity and quit bitching about shit when it doesn't actually have an adverse effect on you?

On top of that, there's a small portion of my mixed ancestry that feels left out. No good popular racial slurs about Scottish people. Come on, folks, think of something and get back to me.

This has been a public servant announcement from an ethnic mutt (Island-****** chink frog bunga mick. . . scott. . . see how that last bit doesn't flow with the rest?)

Here's a question, if we're a society making an attempt at multiculturalism, why are we encouraging the idea that certain racial words are worthy of taking racially-based offense, regardless of the context in which the words are used? If we hold to an ideal of racial harmony, why encourage -any- reason for various ethnicities to feel singled out? Rather than finding reasons to justify taking offense to shit even when it isn't used in a malicious context, why not just bang back on the sensitivity and quit bitching about shit when it doesn't actually have an adverse effect on you?

On top of that, there's a small portion of my mixed ancestry that feels left out. No good popular racial slurs about Scottish people. Come on, folks, think of something and get back to me.

This has been a public servant announcement from an ethnic mutt (Island-****** chink frog bunga mick. . . scott. . . see how that last bit doesn't flow with the rest?)

Why would we want to insult sawneys? You teuchters are cool.

Gook, yes. Limey, meh, depends on how sensitive the Brit is... Limey was certainly used as a pejorative way back when, but I am of the opinion that it has pretty much lost its sting...
I used the term with a student from GB in college; I knew him well. I would NOT ask someone I just met with a British accent "Are you a limey"?

Of course not. Ethnic slurs are also offensive and unnecessary.
Limey was also term of admiration when it was shown sucking limes prevented SCURVY; scurvy had taken the lives of many at sea for for long periods.

Why would we want to insult sawneys? You teuchters are cool.

Wow! I've never heard/read those before! They don't carry giggles quite as well as the popular usage slurs, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate these. Island-****** chink frog bunga mick SAWNEY! YES!

I find it comically ironic that a self professed Scot is carrying the screen name 'Not2BSubjugated'.

Probably watches Braveheart every weekend. :lol:

I voted yes.

however

With all racial tags it depends on how it's being used.

Me and my crackahs are going to hang out Friday night. < not racist

Look at that crackah over there wearing camo in the city. < could be racist

fuckin rednecks don't know how to read. < racist

Forum List

Back