Are globalized corporations unamerican?

Oh please. Eternal souls? Look, the Padre is at the front door. He'll punch your ticket on your way out. Know what I mean?

I know that my soul is worth a lot more than any amount of money you can come up with.

You have a twisted unrealistic viewpoint. You may have it for yourself.

That's fine. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, like me, or want to have anything to do with me. That's your choice. You have a Constitutionally guaranteed right to be wrong.

Oh please. Eternal souls? Look, the Padre is at the front door. He'll punch your ticket on your way out. Know what I mean?

I know that my soul is worth a lot more than any amount of money you can come up with.

You have a twisted unrealistic viewpoint. You may have it for yourself.

That's fine. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, like me, or want to have anything to do with me. That's your choice. You have a Constitutionally guaranteed right to be wrong.

As do you.
Given your radical position on this issue, it is highly likely the consensus would agree that it is you who are incorrect.
This country tried isolationism. We ended up fighting two theatres in WW II.....We wiped out the Nazi's and The Japanese Empire.
It would have been better for us to be involved in the world than using our shores and borders to keep us separate from other nations.
Please spare me the "world's policemen" argument. That is another issue.

I mean where do their loyalties lie?
Do they care if America goes down the tubes as long as their profits increase?
Same with those who play the global market.

Does America owe them any breaks or support?

Corporations as those are concerned with profit for their shareholders, nothing else.

Tax em, and when they whine, slap em.

Ask the shareholders, ordinary middle class Americans by a very large %, what they think of globalization of the corporations they own.
You people do know that all corporations are owned by middle class Americans, DON'T YOU?

So no one else in the world besides middle class Americans owns corporate stock?

As do you. Given your radical position on this issue, it is highly likely the consensus would agree that it is you who are incorrect.

When have I ever suggested that I give a fuck about concensus? I find that the majority opinion is WRONG most of the time.

This country tried isolationism. We ended up fighting two theatres in WW II.....We wiped out the Nazi's and The Japanese Empire.
It would have been better for us to be involved in the world than using our shores and borders to keep us separate from other nations.
Please spare me the "world's policemen" argument. That is another issue.

No, this country paid lip service to Isolationism. We claimed to do it on the political level, but refused to do it on ever other level. Isolationism has to be an ALL or NOTHING solution. You can't do it half-assed. It isn't our shores and borders that should keep us separated. It's our NUCLEAR ARSENAL. The fact that we can deliver an extinctionary event to any country on the planet in short order.

Like General Electric? Bite your tongue, boy!

Yeah... just like General Electric. Why do you IDIOTS think that just because GE owns MSNBC that we give them a pass?

You thin skinned little pricks seem to be just waiting to be offended by anything. I guess that gives you the right to call good hard working Americans Deadbeats and leeches, just because they are Progressives. As if "A Working Person" can't be a Progressive... only welfare bums.

Yes!
Please elaborate and explain why you believe this.

I am no one's secretary.

If you really need to know of what I speak do some homework.

There was good reason why Corporations were not treated as persons until the last twenty years. Some of the earliest examples of multi national corporations included the United Fruit Company, some mining companies(Anaconda, 3M..etc....) and oil companies(Standard Oil...etc...).

Their history of un American activities throughout the globe is well documented.

Corporations are not "unAmerican."

America doesn't owe corporations anything. America has to have a competitive and attractive environment to attract and retain corporations, who create jobs and are the engine of growth. Without corporations, the economy would collapse. Without a strong business community, America will wither. The two are not mutually exclusive.

well, I have to disagree... not with the first part. In general, Corporations aren't "un-American". But Corporations that take our jobs and move them over to China and the rest of the globe and are raking in record profits? No.. they're not just UN-AMERICAN.... they are fucking traitors and should be treated as such.

Do you have any idea what the effect on this country has been from these organizations? Did you ever think for one minute that if people were working, there would be more tax revenues and our Debt problem might not be so severe? Did you ever think that with more people working and spending that our economy wouldn't be so fucked up?

I'm sorry... these corporations do Owe America. America is the country that gave them the ability to become what they are. Let them try it in Europe.... no... not Greece, Greece is the Red headed stepchild of Europe. Let them try it in France, Germany, Denmark, etc. Hell, in Germany... the workers get to vote on a company's CEO. Let's see Mercedes Outsource their production to China... there would be riots in the streets.

That's what I don't understand about Conservatives. There are successful models out there to give our citizens a better life... but none of them want to even take a look. They see the horror story of Greece and think "That's us". But the truth is, we are the world's strongest economy.... we ain't Greece, nor will we ever be Greece.

In America
Stocks and mutual funds Top 1% owns 38.9% next 9% own 42.9% bottom 90% own 18.8%

Another right wing myth bites the dust.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

A link to an article by a sociologist?
FAIL.

Ok post something else on the topic of stock ownership in America.

on another note America owns less that 40% of BP. I did not find any stats on what percent of global stocks the USA owns.
I suspect that thosw who have the figures do not really want them published.

In America
Stocks and mutual funds Top 1% owns 38.9% next 9% own 42.9% bottom 90% own 18.8%

FAIL.

on another note America owns less that 40% of BP. I did not find any stats on what percent of global stocks the USA owns.

I didnt realize "America" owned any stocks at all. Please enlighten us here.

FAIL.

You are looking pretty stupid there Rabeye.

You are looking pretty stupid there Rabeye.

Translation: I dont have a clue but I saw it somewhere and it sounded good.
Thanks.

America doesn't owe corporations anything. America has to have a competitive and attractive environment to attract and retain corporations, who create jobs and are the engine of growth. Without corporations, the economy would collapse. Without a strong business community, America will wither. The two are not mutually exclusive.

well, I have to disagree... not with the first part. In general, Corporations aren't "un-American". But Corporations that take our jobs and move them over to China and the rest of the globe and are raking in record profits? No.. they're not just UN-AMERICAN.... they are fucking traitors and should be treated as such.

Do you have any idea what the effect on this country has been from these organizations? Did you ever think for one minute that if people were working, there would be more tax revenues and our Debt problem might not be so severe? Did you ever think that with more people working and spending that our economy wouldn't be so fucked up?
What nonsense. You are the type of person that wants to punish companies and then complain about outsourcing. Why do you thing companies outsource anyway? It is not because they do not want to be here but because we make it nary impossible to stay profitable. What would you do when prices jump 10 times what they are now because they stopped outsourcing? You cannot pile on regulation after regulation and tax after tax and expect that a company would stay here in America. You cannot expect a head of lettuce to cost one buck and think that hey, unionized workers here in the US making 20 bucks an hour picked this. It is not possible.

Corporations are not people and you expect them to act like they are. They have no loyalties, no obligations and no motivations other than profit within the bounds of the law. Want jobs here then you have to understand that and create law that reflects reality. Low cooperate tax rates, tariffs on imported goods of countries that do not trade evenly and more room within regulations that allow corporations to stay profitable. THAT is what we need, not calling corporations un-American. How can you call a business model un-American? That does not even make the least bit of sense.
I'm sorry... these corporations do Owe America. America is the country that gave them the ability to become what they are. Let them try it in Europe.... no... not Greece, Greece is the Red headed stepchild of Europe. Let them try it in France, Germany, Denmark, etc. Hell, in Germany... the workers get to vote on a company's CEO. Let's see Mercedes Outsource their production to China... there would be riots in the streets.

That's what I don't understand about Conservatives. There are successful models out there to give our citizens a better life... but none of them want to even take a look. They see the horror story of Greece and think "That's us". But the truth is, we are the world's strongest economy.... we ain't Greece, nor will we ever be Greece.
Let them try that in Europe? Are you an idiot? BP is BRITISH PETROLEUM yet there LARGEST division is in the US. Other nations companies outsource just as often as companies here do. Maybe in North Korea that is a practice that is not allowed but in the industrialized world they have discovered a better way.

Greece is the redheaded stepchild? Care to show how they are so different? The reality is that Greece fell because they are smaller than the rest so they could not last as long. Europe is in trouble as well though Greece may have woken people up to the fact that debt DOES matter and it does have to ber paid back. You cannot continue to sell tomorrow for comforts today. That is universal and no matter how strong our economy is that truth is still there. I fail to see just how you think that we can continue to do the things that we are doing and NOT end up like Greece.

I get it, HOW is not important. SOMEONE will figure it out. They just need to do it.

In America

FAIL.
The link provides some clear charting and information. Can you refute any of that or are you blowing smoke. You may disagree with the conclusions but saying that 1+1=2 is incorrect simply because a communist says it is asinine. They are simple stock ownership levels. If they are incorrect you should be able to disprove this.

What nonsense. You are the type of person that wants to punish companies and then complain about outsourcing. Why do you thing companies outsource anyway? It is not because they do not want to be here but because we make it nary impossible to stay profitable. What would you do when prices jump 10 times what they are now because they stopped outsourcing? You cannot pile on regulation after regulation and tax after tax and expect that a company would stay here in America. You cannot expect a head of lettuce to cost one buck and think that hey, unionized workers here in the US making 20 bucks an hour picked this. It is not possible.

Corporations are not people and you expect them to act like they are. They have no loyalties, no obligations and no motivations other than profit within the bounds of the law. Want jobs here then you have to understand that and create law that reflects reality. Low cooperate tax rates, tariffs on imported goods of countries that do not trade evenly and more room within regulations that allow corporations to stay profitable. THAT is what we need, not calling corporations un-American. How can you call a business model un-American? That does not even make the least bit of sense.

Let them try that in Europe? Are you an idiot? BP is BRITISH PETROLEUM yet there LARGEST division is in the US. Other nations companies outsource just as often as companies here do. Maybe in North Korea that is a practice that is not allowed but in the industrialized world they have discovered a better way.

Greece is the redheaded stepchild? Care to show how they are so different? The reality is that Greece fell because they are smaller than the rest so they could not last as long. Europe is in trouble as well though Greece may have woken people up to the fact that debt DOES matter and it does have to ber paid back. You cannot continue to sell tomorrow for comforts today. That is universal and no matter how strong our economy is that truth is still there. I fail to see just how you think that we can continue to do the things that we are doing and NOT end up like Greece.

I get it, HOW is not important. SOMEONE will figure it out. They just need to do it.

First... to answer your question...why do companies outsource? Easy. $1/hour labor and 2.5% import tariffs. If you think it's because of "Restrictive government policies and Unions... you're out of your tree.

Next..Greece is the red headed stepchild. They don't have the economy to be part of the EU. But they still use the Euro for their currency and it's killing them. Funny how Germany and France don't have major problems working with their Citizens.

How do we end up NOT like Greece. Easy... well.. not all that easy politically... too many sacred cows and Monied interests.

1. Live within your means militarily... stop playing world police.

2. Go single payer for health Care.

3. Stop playing Nanny to the world. China's tariff for our products is 25%. Ours for theirs is 2.5%. Demand from China and every other importer an equitable and reciprocal trade policy. If they refuse, jack up the tariffs to match theirs.

4. Stop subsidizing big business and the banking industries.

5. Re-organize our Entitlement programs. Medicare and Medicaid will no longer be in existence(see #2). With the new single payer program, learn from the mistakes of Medicare and streamline it into an efficient model...Take a good hard look at other single payer countries and learn from them. Social Security? There's nothing wrong with Social Security that wasn't caused by Politicians stealing from the fund. Our money needs paid back.

6. Eliminate loopholes for our wealthiest citizens... go back to Clinton era rates for all of us.

Between a Real Trade Policy with our global competitors... (you can't have "Free Trade" when the deck is so stacked against you. Our Trade deficit alone is $500 Billion/year that leaves this country and never comes back)... and single payer health Care system... we are talking about huge amounts of money that will be saved. Not to mention more money in the hands of working people(no Health Insurance Premiums). Sure, they will end up paying a little more in taxes, but no where near the what? $14K or so it costs to maintain Health Insurance.

But I know.. you don't want to hear that. so I'm not sure why I even responded.. it's going to fall on deaf and brainwashed ears anyway.

Forum List

Back