Appalachia – The White Ghetto

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
rural-country.jpg

This article comes from 2013 but I doubt anything’s changed in the 6 years since.

A truly dark review of a large part of America that the media and politicians do their best to ignore.

For TV viewers, you might’s got a taste of what it’s like from the series,
Justified.”

justified-final-season.jpg

(I really enjoyed that series.)

Booneville, Kentucky is an example.

It’s not like he has a lot of appealing options, though. There used to be two movie theaters here — a regular cinema and a drive-in. Both are long gone. The nearest Walmart is nearly an hour away. There’s no bookstore, the nearest Barnes & Noble being 55 miles away and the main source of reading matter being the horrifying/hilarious crime blotter in the local weekly newspaper. Within living memory, this town had three grocery stores, a Western Auto and a Napa Auto Parts, a feed store, a lumber store, a clothing shop, a Chrysler dealership, a used-car dealership, a skating rink — even a discotheque, back in the 1970s. Today there is one grocery store, and the rest is as dead as disco. If you want a newsstand or a dinner at Applebee’s, gas up the car. Amazon may help, but delivery can be tricky — the nearest UPS drop-box is 17 miles away, the nearest FedEx office 34 miles away.

Lots of drugs – mostly oxy – and prostitution to get the drugs.

Check this out:

Chief Logsdon thinks I may be talking to the wrong people. “Maybe that’s all they see, because that’s all they know. Ask somebody else and they’ll tell you a different story.” He then gives me a half-joking — but only half — list of people not to talk to: Not the shiftless fellows milling about in the hallways on various government-related errands, not the guy circling the block on a moped. Instead, there’s the lifelong banker whose brother is the head of the school board. There’s the mayor, a sharp nonagenarian who has been in office since the Eisenhower administration.

What the hell can be done about it?

One can do a search to learn not a whole lot more has been done in the 6 years since this was written. We hear about millions of new jobs and I wonder how many, if any, have popped up around there.

The distressing article is
@ Kevin Williamson & Appalachia -- The White Ghetto | National Review

rural-country.jpg

This article comes from 2013 but I doubt anything’s changed in the 6 years since.

A truly dark review of a large part of America that the media and politicians do their best to ignore.

For TV viewers, you might’s got a taste of what it’s like from the series,
Justified.”

justified-final-season.jpg

(I really enjoyed that series.)

Booneville, Kentucky is an example.

It’s not like he has a lot of appealing options, though. There used to be two movie theaters here — a regular cinema and a drive-in. Both are long gone. The nearest Walmart is nearly an hour away. There’s no bookstore, the nearest Barnes & Noble being 55 miles away and the main source of reading matter being the horrifying/hilarious crime blotter in the local weekly newspaper. Within living memory, this town had three grocery stores, a Western Auto and a Napa Auto Parts, a feed store, a lumber store, a clothing shop, a Chrysler dealership, a used-car dealership, a skating rink — even a discotheque, back in the 1970s. Today there is one grocery store, and the rest is as dead as disco. If you want a newsstand or a dinner at Applebee’s, gas up the car. Amazon may help, but delivery can be tricky — the nearest UPS drop-box is 17 miles away, the nearest FedEx office 34 miles away.

Lots of drugs – mostly oxy – and prostitution to get the drugs.

Check this out:

Chief Logsdon thinks I may be talking to the wrong people. “Maybe that’s all they see, because that’s all they know. Ask somebody else and they’ll tell you a different story.” He then gives me a half-joking — but only half — list of people not to talk to: Not the shiftless fellows milling about in the hallways on various government-related errands, not the guy circling the block on a moped. Instead, there’s the lifelong banker whose brother is the head of the school board. There’s the mayor, a sharp nonagenarian who has been in office since the Eisenhower administration.

What the hell can be done about it?

One can do a search to learn not a whole lot more has been done in the 6 years since this was written. We hear about millions of new jobs and I wonder how many, if any, have popped up around there.

The distressing article is
@ Kevin Williamson & Appalachia -- The White Ghetto | National Review
I grew up in the northern part of Appalachia. It's rough country with a lot of hardy folks. And like most poor places you do what you gotta do to get by. And you get out as soon as you can. Still... as an avid outdoorsman, you'd be hard pressed to find more beautiful country.

Out closest fedex office is a lot further than 34 miles away. We have boxes around town but no actual office

Generational poverty and no means or motivation to leave it

Forum List

Back