Anyone?

Does anyone really want to discuss education? Not rehashing one dead horse talking point endlessly, or decrying all teachers as monsters? Unions tend toward sucking, ALL racism is bad, and every profession has some nut jobs working in it. Ok? Do we have that out of the way now? Anyone interested in really discussing methodologies, challenges, teaching/learning experiences, or possible changes? We have established by now that some people are advocates for home schooling, vouchers, or charter schools. Some people want cameras surgically implanted in all teachers, rigged to explode if a parent sitting on the sofa at home sees something she doesn't like. Got it? Now, how about discussing education?
To me schools need to teach marketable skills. Excel, public speaking, networking, power point, social media impacts, etc...in addition to the usual topics. We need to evolve.

To me schools need to teach marketable skills. Excel, public speaking, networking, power point, social media impacts, etc...in addition to the usual topics. We need to evolve.
This would require somewhat of a shift in purpose. I think in academia there is a certain value given to the idea of being a rounded and generally educated person. That's why people have to take classes that realistically they don't need for the real world. I don't disagree with you, but turning public schools into a jobs program would require a serious shift in the way we look at education and even the world.

He's asking.

What do you think would happen? How do you see something like that playing out? Did you think it through?
What I think would happen is that parents would become extremely interested in the schooling of their children, just like they're interested in the food they feed them, the home where they live, the clothes on their backs, etcetera....Right now, all gubmint schools are to too many parents is a big daycare center, paid for by everyone else.

What about them?....You saying that they wouldn't care about their children enough to see to it that they got an education?....You saying that you care more about children than their own parents do?
I am saying this is the real world and not everybody is as bad ass as you apparently are. Some people work constantly to stay afloat and won't have the energy to do it effectively. Some people are simply not intelligent enough to teach their children effectively. Some parents are abusive drug addicts that don't give a fuck about the education of their children. Not all parents are in a position to effectively teach their children, and many others simply are not capable.

class children based upon aptitude.
Hi.

It's nice to find things we can agree on. It's ridiculous that bright students so often have to be stuck at the pace of normal students. I think that's why a lot of gifted people act out so much in school; they're fucking bored.

Last edited:
There's also the fact that public schools catch and stop a ton of child abuse happening at home. Look it up.

I am saying this is the real world and not everybody is as bad ass as you apparently are. Some people work constantly to stay afloat and won't have the energy to do it effectively. Some people are simply not intelligent enough to teach their children effectively. Some parents are abusive drug addicts that don't give a fuck about the education of their children. Not all parents are in a position to effectively teach their children, and many others simply are not capable.
"This is the real world" isn't an argument....Neither are your speculative scenarios about what might happen.

As I already pointed out, your doomsaying scenarios are sheer conjecture, while the total failure of the current model is open for all to see.

Forum List

Back