Anyone here into metal detecting?

I have two great detectors.

One is kind of old school (by now)

vision.gif

And the other was made in the stone age.

attachment.php

Guess which one I like the most.

The Eagle II has paid for itself several times over with gold rings and silver coins found.
I currently have an old Garrett Grand Master CXIII that hasnā€™t been used in many years....
View attachment 239577

Iā€™m looking to get back into hobby with something that has newer tech.
Thatā€™s the one that talks. First Time I turned it on scared the crap out of me. Thought it was possessed lol.
It was top of the line when I bought it. :)

Iā€™ve been thinking about restructuring my schedule to include some quiet time away from people.

Getting away from people, never a BAD idea.

ITMT, if you had a little electronic skill and patience, you could probably build your own detector for about $50 that would work as well at the basic function but without the frills....
Iā€™ll be sure to share that tidbit of info with my boss. lol

Iā€™ll also consider a vendor you know if I can verify them as being reputable, Intolerant.
Iā€™m going to hook you up. I believe he will beat that bundle price. Copy that add and send it to him. Big Boys Hobbyā€™s. Ask for Bart. You can find him on the net.
Seriously?
I think he can. If not I know several more.
Should I mention you as a referral?
Tell him Delta Digger from the forums sent you.

I have two great detectors.

One is kind of old school (by now)

vision.gif

And the other was made in the stone age.

attachment.php

Guess which one I like the most.

The Eagle II has paid for itself several times over with gold rings and silver coins found.
I currently have an old Garrett Grand Master CXIII that hasnā€™t been used in many years....
View attachment 239577

Iā€™m looking to get back into hobby with something that has newer tech.
Thatā€™s the one that talks. First Time I turned it on scared the crap out of me. Thought it was possessed lol.
It was top of the line when I bought it. :)
It was.

Iā€™ll also consider a vendor you know if I can verify them as being reputable, Intolerant.
Iā€™m going to hook you up. I believe he will beat that bundle price. Copy that add and send it to him. Big Boys Hobbyā€™s. Ask for Bart. You can find him on the net.
Seriously?
I think he can. If not I know several more.
Should I mention you as a referral?
Tell him Delta Digger from the forums sent you.
Iā€™ll do that. Thanks.

Iā€™ve been thinking about restructuring my schedule to include some quiet time away from people.

ITMT, if you had a little electronic skill and patience, you could probably build your own detector for about $50 that would work as well at the basic function but without the frills....

Seriously, you have any idea how easy it is to build a field induction circuit? The metal objects in the ground merely act as a field core to increase the AC reactance of the circuit. After that, all you need is an op amp circuit to boost the sensitivity, and if you want, a voltage-driven audio amp to make a varying tone in the headset and to drive a digital read out. Could probably build one of these from Radio Shack parts.

Last edited:

Seriously, you have any idea how easy it is to build a field induction circuit? The metal objects in the ground merely act as a field core to increase the AC reactance of the circuit. After that, all you need is an op amp circuit to boost the sensitivity, and if you want, a voltage-driven audio amp to make a varying tone in the headset and to drive a digital read out. Could probably build one of these from Radio Shack parts.

Seriously, you have any idea how much easier it is to buy one? lol

While I can appreciate your love for saving money, itā€™s sometimes cheaper and smarter to purchase certain items. :)

Down south of Atlanta. Our soil is very mild. The mineralization of our soil is about 35-40 Itā€™s sweet soil. Most coins here are 3-7 inches. I have dug 10 inch coins. Chuz do you own the v3i.

Seriously, you have any idea how much easier it is to buy one? lol

While I can appreciate your love for saving money, itā€™s sometimes cheaper and smarter to purchase certain items. :)
If you weā€™re to construct a detector on that info. It would pick up everything in the ground. That includes can slaw iron tin cans and coins. You want separation and disc built in to that also. Detectors today can tell you the size depth of the object. They can also separate iron from a coin. Say you get a iron tone and a high tone. That lets me know there is iron masking the coin. Sometimes you have to grid or turn 90ā€¢ and sweep back and forth until you get a solid tone. If you get a one way hit most of the time itā€™s iron. A two way hit dig it. My Etrac and the Whitesā€™s v3i are both good detectors. Iā€™ve dug coins that a nail was sitting along or beside it. Thatā€™s called separation.

Down south of Atlanta. Our soil is very mild. The mineralization of our soil is about 35-40 Itā€™s sweet soil. Most coins here are 3-7 inches. I have dug 10 inch coins. Chuz do you own the v3i.

Yes V3i

I haven't used it much though.

Get it out and blow off the cob-webs. Itā€™s good exercise and itā€™s relaxing.

Ah the rationalization tome of the American consumer. As a former president of a manufacturing company, I'd guess they make your detector for $75. Charge $800. Hey, nothing wrong with feeding the economy if you don't mind throwing away $800 and have no electronic knowledge or skills! That is what they are counting on. Me, I could make a workable metal detector for the $50 bucks mentioned and just a few relaxing evening's work.

Just sayin.' I'm sure there are even plans for making one on the internet. For another $150-$200, you could buy all the tools needed to make it if you don't own a soldering iron, etc., and still be $600 ahead to be used on something else!

I guess I'm just thrifty. There's someone on USMB that must have at least $150,000-$200,000 tied up in his store bought stereo. I've made a better one myself for $8,000 and change. Why do you think people start companies to make and sell products of their own? They get rich if they do it half right. But to each their own.

Forum List

Back