An ordinary day at the gun range is better than a great day doing anything else

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I decided to take a range day this morning, since I've been reloading quite alot of ammunition. I took a 30-06, a WW2 Japanese 6.5mmx50 Arisaka, a .44 magnum revolver, and a 9mm pistol. A good range day requires alot of stuff, so here it was loaded in the back of the car...

1-11-19%20range1.jpg

The first firearm I wanted to shoot was a World War One era P-1917 Enfield 30-06 that was manufactured sometime around 1918. It had been sporterized back in the 1960's. Gunsmithing back then was a highly-developed art, and whomever did the rework did a really nice job...

1-11-19%20range2.jpg

1-11-19%20range3.jpg

1-11-19%20range4.jpg

1-11-19%20range5.jpg

1-11-19%20range6.jpg

When I got to the range, it was cloudy and 21 degrees. I tacked a blanket around the bench and fired up a 1950's kerosene heater to take the edge off the cold...

1-11-19%20range7.jpg

1-11-19%20range8.jpg

1-11-19%20range9.jpg

The first five rounds I put through the Enfield were some 1942-dated USGI military ammo with 150 grain bullets. I was shooting at a target placed out at 100 yards...

1-11-19%20range9a.jpg

I then commenced to shoot the handloads I loaded, starting with the minimum charge of 42.0 grains of IMR 3031 powder, and increasing each group of five shots by 0.5 grains per step. By the time I got up to 44.5 grains of powder, the shot groups started tightening up...

1-11-19%20range9b.jpg

1-11-19%20range9c.jpg

By the time I got to the ones loaded with 45 grains of powder, the shot groups were pretty tight, except for the two flyers. I probably flinched due to the recoil. The bullets were traveling on an average of 2660 fps as measured on the chronograph, which is a little slow. The maximum velocity for this weight bullet is somewhere around 2900 fps, so I'll ease the next batch of handloads up a little at a time...

1-11-19%20range9d.jpg

1-11-19%20range9e.jpg

I never did shoot the Japanese rifle, .44 magnum, or the 9mm. Four hours out in the 21 degree cold and I was ready to go home. Maybe next time.

Last edited:
I decided to take a range day this morning, since I've been reloading quite alot of ammunition. I took a 30-06, a WW2 Japanese 6.5mmx50 Arisaka, a .44 magnum revolver, and a 9mm pistol. A good range day requires alot of stuff, so here it was loaded in the back of the car...

1-11-19%20range1.jpg

The first firearm I wanted to shoot was a World War One era P-1917 Enfield 30-06 that was manufactured sometime around 1918. It had been sporterized back in the 1960's. Gunsmithing back then was a highly-developed art, and whomever did the rework did a really nice job...

1-11-19%20range2.jpg

1-11-19%20range3.jpg

1-11-19%20range4.jpg

1-11-19%20range5.jpg

1-11-19%20range6.jpg

When I got to the range, it was cloudy and 21 degrees. I tacked a blanket around the bench and fired up a 1950's kerosene heater to take the edge off the cold...

1-11-19%20range7.jpg

1-11-19%20range8.jpg

1-11-19%20range9.jpg

The first five rounds I put through the Enfield were some 1942-dated USGI military ammo with 150 grain bullets. I was shooting at a target placed out at 100 yards...

1-11-19%20range9a.jpg

I then commenced to shoot the handloads I loaded, starting with the minimum charge of 42.0 grains of IMR 3031 powder, and increasing each group of five shots by 0.5 grains per step. By the time I got up to 44.5 grains of powder, the shot groups started tightening up...

1-11-19%20range9b.jpg

1-11-19%20range9c.jpg

By the time I got to the ones loaded with 45 grains of powder, the shot groups were pretty tight, except for the two flyers. I probably flinched due to the recoil. The bullets were traveling on an average of 2660 fps as measured on the chronograph, which is a little slow. The maximum velocity for this weight bullet is somewhere around 2900 fps, so I'll ease the next batch of handloads up a little at a time...

1-11-19%20range9d.jpg

1-11-19%20range9e.jpg

I never did shoot the Japanese rifle, .44 magnum, or the 9mm. Four hours out in the 21 degree cold and I was ready to go home. Maybe next time.
I can imagine doing something a lot better than wasting money on ammo at the gun range. Open season on traitors to this Great Country would be more to my liking.

You know when Antifa or BLM gets uppity and starts to burn a city. Just a few pops and soon no more Antifa, no more BLM...

Nice shooting by the way, good grouping...

That was funny. I had to look at that twice before I saw it. :laughing0301:
I used to think it would be really cool if we had those but then I decided I was wrong. If we suddenly had those, overnight half the population would disappear.

Good shooting by the way!

Thanks. I'm still in the process of working up the load for the P-17. There was another guy at the range with a 1970's Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. He was getting consistent 100-yard 1/4" groups with handloads.

Nice! I think tomorrow I will have my bi-weekly (sometimes monthly to be honest) homage to the former Communist Bloc at my gun club. You know Russian SKS's, Makarovs, Polish P-83's, Hungarian AKM, and several CZ-75 variants. It is usually followed by WWII day. :)

Well they want to ban, and confiscate a lot of mine, including America's rifle, my Colt M4 Carbine, my WWII USGI Inland M1 Carbine, my semi auto AK-47 clone, and a plethora of others.

And not a single one
Any Democrats want to outlaw...

The ones Democrats want to outlaw are the one I'm saving for renegade antifa, BLM, revenuers, carpet-baggers, scalawags, salesmen, and Jehovah's Witnesses if they decide to show up at my door. :biggrin:

The ones Democrats want to outlaw are the one I'm saving for renegade antifa, BLM, revenuers, carpet-baggers, scalawags, salesmen, and Jehovah's Witnesses if they decide to show up at my door. :biggrin:

And don't forget the Mimes......and oh yeah Clowns!

Nice! I think tomorrow I will have my bi-weekly (sometimes monthly to be honest) homage to the former Communist Bloc at my gun club. You know Russian SKS's, Makarovs, Polish P-83's, Hungarian AKM, and several CZ-75 variants. It is usually followed by WWII day. :)

Commie guns are nice. I have a WW2 Mosin-Nagant M38 and a Hungarian-build AK that normally would have been used to oppress the proletariat class. Now they just protect my liberty. :biggrin:

And don't forget the Mimes......and oh yeah Clowns!

Right. And Juggalos. Those are right scary.

InsaneClownPosse2016-6-696x449.jpg

Commie guns are nice. I have a WW2 Mosin-Nagant M38 and a Hungarian-build AK that normally would have been used to oppress the proletariat class. Now they just protect my liberty. :biggrin:
It's funny that the war to free this country will be fought and won with commie block guns.

iu

It's funny that the war to free this country will be fought and won with commie block guns.

iu
[/QUOTE]

I have Makarovs from three different countries. Russia, Bulgaria, and East Germany. Love to get a Chinese one. In the 90's I took full advantage of the wall coming down, and all the surplus stuff coming in cheap!

iu

I'll say one thing for those comtards: They did make some fine weapons. Most everything they made was idiot-proof and designed to go "bang" when you pulled the trigger. They designed their weapons so a 13 year old girl could operate them and easily pick off Nazis.

iu

I have Makarovs from three different countries. Russia, Bulgaria, and East Germany. Love to get a Chinese one. In the 90's I took full advantage of the wall coming down, and all the surplus stuff coming in cheap![/QUOTE]
Mine is Bulgarian. I replaced the grip with a soft rubber one.
51p6dcHE5yL.jpg

Forum List

Back