Anyone have a security camera system?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I want to set one up, but holy cow there are way too many choices...brands...types...I am at a loss.
Basically I want a motion activated system, wireless with a DVR that has a damn hard drive already in it. (can't believe they sell systems with a DVR that won't record until you buy and install your own HD)
Night vision preferred.
Anyone have one installed and like/don't like what you have?

Thanks

I have one, yet no ghost has yet appeared...Maybe it's the motion activated flood light that goes off also?

I want to set one up, but holy cow there are way too many choices...brands...types...I am at a loss.
Basically I want a motion activated system, wireless with a DVR that has a damn hard drive already in it. (can't believe they sell systems with a DVR that won't record until you buy and install your own HD)
Night vision preferred.

Thanks
Can't speak about the system but there are a lot of options on HDs depending on what you are willing to spend. I don't see why that would slow you down? Easy peasy install. You could even go solid state. I paid $60 for 250 gigs.

Night vision preferred.

Thanks
Can't speak about the system but there are a lot of options on HDs depending on what you are willing to spend. I don't see why that would slow you down? Easy peasy install. You could even go solid state. I paid $60 for 250 gigs.

That's the easy part...I figure anyone selling a system that doesn't include a vital part of the system...until AFTER you purchase it - is not a company I want to buy from.

Night vision preferred.

Thanks

That's the easy part...I figure anyone selling a system that doesn't include a vital part of the system...until AFTER you purchase it - is not a company I want to buy from.
I've got ones that use a DHS, DVD or computer...I am too cheap to invest in a DVR..I did when they came out and it didn't last 18 months..

Night vision preferred.

Thanks
Is it legal for one resident in a condo to put a camera in the hallway? She now has the power to video everyone who comes and goes. Her neighbor across the hall feels like it's a violation of her privacy.

They say cameras outside are fair game. It gets trickier when you bring them inside. The hallway is a public place. But it really is an invasion of the people who live in that hallway's privacy. Now this one neighbor can sit inside her condo and see who's coming and going. Creepy? A little. Do I want a video in my hallway? Sure would be nice if I got broken into. I like security. But I also like a little privacy.

My neighbor has it pointed down the hall. Perhaps she needs to only point it in front of her door.

Is it legal for one resident in a condo to put a camera in the hallway? She now has the power to video everyone who comes and goes. Her neighbor across the hall feels like it's a violation of her privacy.

They say cameras outside are fair game. It gets trickier when you bring them inside. The hallway is a public place. But it really is an invasion of the people who live in that hallway's privacy. Now this one neighbor can sit inside her condo and see who's coming and going. Creepy? A little. Do I want a video in my hallway? Sure would be nice if I got broken into. I like security. But I also like a little privacy.

My neighbor has it pointed down the hall. Perhaps she needs to only point it in front of her door.
I have a Ring doorbell camera that covers the shared path with the neighbour. Perfectly acceptable in the UK for me to do so. If you collect data outside of your boundary, you could end up in court.

Night vision preferred.

Thanks

I built my own using Raspberry Pi Zeros, RPI cameras (available with and without IR filters), IR illuminators, and MotionEye open-source software.

Total price for 4 cameras and server, accessible from anywhere on the planet ... $200

I have a Ring doorbell camera that covers the shared path with the neighbour. Perfectly acceptable in the UK for me to do so. If you collect data outside of your boundary, you could end up in court.
Filming outside is ok. I’m talking about the inside hall. 4 people share that hall. So she can see everyone coming and going.

So if anyone is having an affair, she will notice.

Filming outside is ok. I’m talking about the inside hall. 4 people share that hall. So she can see everyone coming and going.

So if anyone is having an affair, she will notice.
If the person films the hall (an area they use), then that's OK. If it films beyond the hall, say over to the left or right where they wouldn't use, that's not OK. Such things as Ring cameras allow you to blank off certain areas.

But if there's a camera, how would someone know what's being recorded/viewed? Usually things come to ahead or to court because the person doing the surveillance tends to let on what's happening, harassing them with footage etc..

If the person films the hall (an area they use), then that's OK. If it films beyond the hall, say over to the left or right where they wouldn't use, that's not OK. Such things as Ring cameras allow you to blank off certain areas.

But if there's a camera, how would someone know what's being recorded/viewed? Usually things come to ahead or to court because the person doing the surveillance tends to let on what's happening, harassing them with footage etc..
You can see when it goes on. The light goes off. They are arguing about this. She says the camera doesn't reach the other girls door. In other words, only if she goes near her door does the camera and audio go on. She did send her a video of her listening at her door. So she busted her eavesdropping. If the eavesdropper doesn't go to the other girls door, it won't go off.

I think it's funny. The girl who's upset about the camera is a drunk. Her dog shits in the hall. All this would get caught on camera. AND, she was fucking another neighbors husband. He was going to her place in the morning and screwing her. Cameras may have caught them doing this. At least we have the ability to enter through our door walls.

The one complaining about the cameras has also keyed people's cars. Now she will get caught.

I told her I want a camera in the hall. Then if anyone breaks in, we will catch them.

Night vision preferred.

Thanks

Just buy a bunch of nest or ring doorbells if you have wifi. Comes with the apps. Problem with a lot of the systems is you have to be able to put electrons into them by plugged cord which isn't always so easy in the places you really want them so you may have to double what you paid for the system going back and buying a bunch of really long power cords.

Forum List

Back