Anybody have satelite connection?

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
Anyone have a satelite connection? I have been thinking about getting it since I can not get cable or dsl or anything!!! I am so far out in the country that nobody has any of those available to me at this point in time . I have been patiently waiting for about 3 years now and dial up really sucks!!!

I guess I want to know how is the connection and speed?

Would you say it is the same or better then dsl or broadband?

How about online gaming such as Delta Force, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Any downfalls to having satelite instead of the others?

I am thinking about going with Direcwav Directway?? can't remember which one it is, we already have satelite thru them for our TV's, and they seem to be the most cost efficent one that i have found as far as not having to shell out $600.00 up front.

Anyone have one of these or knows someone that does please let me know. I have not been able to find anyone who has satelite connection to get opinions on it. Other then the website it's self and I don't put much stock into what they say since they are trying to sell me a product.

I looked into directway with directtv when I got annoyed with SBC dsl and their prices were comparable or less. The issues that made me decide not to go with it may not really apply to you since you don't have cable or dsl anyway.

The download speed is about half of what dsl is, sometimes less, but it sure beats dial up.

I also found that with directtv, during bad weather we would lose some reception, I can only assume that this would work with internet also.

I would ask what part of the country you live in, I know verizon is pushing a project called Fiber To The Premises (FTTP) and its going to be a setup for everything. Phone, TV, and Internet. Speeds will be in the 10 Mbps range, which is about 3 times faster than dsl.

DKSuddeth said:
I looked into directway with directtv when I got annoyed with SBC dsl and their prices were comparable or less. The issues that made me decide not to go with it may not really apply to you since you don't have cable or dsl anyway.

The download speed is about half of what dsl is, sometimes less, but it sure beats dial up.

I also found that with directtv, during bad weather we would lose some reception, I can only assume that this would work with internet also.

I would ask what part of the country you live in, I know verizon is pushing a project called Fiber To The Premises (FTTP) and its going to be a setup for everything. Phone, TV, and Internet. Speeds will be in the 10 Mbps range, which is about 3 times faster than dsl.

I am in Ohio and my phone service is Verizon.

not sure how fast Ohio will be getting this project. A city out here in Texas is the pilot for FTTP and so far I'm hearing alot of good about it. I'm hoping that it gets to my city quick, I'm looking forward to dropping comcast. If I hear anything about verizon, FTTP, and Ohio I'll spill it to you. In the meantime, if you feel the cost is worth it, go with directway. Like I said, it sure beats dial up. just stay away from a long term contract.

Forum List

Back