Any preppers out there?

If you think Mountain House is prison food, I'd love to try the food you're prepping with, with a 30 yr shelf life...

That's the craziest thing ever. You should sell them if it's that good. You could be rich.

I have lots of beans and lots of rice, and lots of cans. And lots of spices. I'm a good cook Kneel.

I'm going to have the Mountain House Beef Strokingoff later tonight (today), and give you my humble opinion.

I built a farm.

because i like farms, not because i'm a prepper

but for the preppers, learn how to dress out any given animal

you'd be surprised what passes for din din

~S~

I built a farm.

because i like farms, not because i'm a prepper

but for the preppers, learn how to dress out any given animal

you'd be surprised what passes for din din

~S~
That's what I try to learn, is dressing out an animal. Fish I can do, no prob. But I watch youtube videos almost every day to teach me how to dress a small animal. I'm a big Dick Proenneke fan, and if I roll like him, maybe I just need to learn about small mammals. Because he never went after big game, after his first one. Too much food, it went to waste.

That's what I try to learn, is dressing out an animal. Fish I can do, no prob. But I watch youtube videos almost every day to teach me how to dress a small animal. I'm a big Dick Proenneke fan, and if I roll like him, maybe I just need to learn about small mammals. Because he never went after big game, after his first one. Too much food, it went to waste.
It's not so hard Freedom, off it's head, wipe it's a**.... :cool: , nature provides a cornucopia , much of which we would not see in any market

~S~

Heck yeah, I know how to do it. Just saying that I will avoid it if not necessary if I'm on my own. I will go for fish and small mammals and birds. I will do the Dick lifestyle any day.

OK, Kneel, you're gonna puke... please look away for the rest of my postings tonight.... I'm going to cook this...

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_023021883 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220528_023021883 (1).jpg
    124 KB · Views: 20
I will do the Dick lifestyle any day.
something of a delicacy out my way......

1653732152974.png

INGREDIENTS:​

3 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2-3 squirrels

1 bulb garlic, split crosswise

1-2 bay leaves

1 tsp black peppercorns

Extra virgin olive oil

~S~

Real preppers don't buy Mountain House or any of the other freeze-dried "survival" foods out there.

I used to use them for backpacking but the are so unappetizing that I gave them up and learned how to haul days worth of real food in my backpack where I can cook delicious meals that are an actual reward for a tough day of slogging up and down mountains. Enjoy that trout almondine with a good Bordeaux decanted into a airtight bladder.

Real preppers know how to store food, can their own food, and make do. Learn how to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and can them yourself (and retain much more nutrition that store bought canned foods).

If you really want to prep food, you can get good advice from The Mormon Church. They encourage their members to have a one-year supply of food for their entire family stored and accessible. They do this with retail / bulk quantity normal groceries that the families actually enjoy.

A years worth of real food that you actually enjoy will keep your survival morale up far better than trying to exist on prison food.

Not true.
Most preppers use a combination of food storage methods.
We have 9 months of Ready Hour dehydrated meals and a bunch of dehydrated veggies,fruit and meats. And of course canned meats and a bunch of other canned goods that we use and replace to keep them fresh. We also have 40 lbs of flour and other grains so we can make bread.
All in all we have a year and a halfs worth of food and more than enough water.
As long as things dont get crazy we're good with staying at the house. If things get to dangerous we'll head to the lake. It's a private location that sits on 6 thousand acres with dozens of lakes,there's plenty of wildlife and native plants that we can eat along with several artesian wells that run constantly and is drinkable right out of the well.
I'd never rely on just canned food,it doesnt have near the shelf life as freeze the dried stuff.
There's always the chance of a bad crop as well.
It's always best to hedge your bets and be ready for any food issues.
And the dehydrated stuff is lightweight and it's not going to break with rough handling.
While I'm no expert prepper I've been on several prepper message boards for the last 4 or 5 months in response to the shit show that looks more and more likely to happen.
Since the Wife and I have always been outdoors people we already had the vast majority of the hardware needed if we have to go to the lake.
We're set on food,medical as far as you can go without prescription meds I do have antibiotics and 50 doses of morphine. We also bought an extensive emergency trauma kit that ran $700 bucks plus we've picked up other things the bag doesnt contain.
Next is the DOMETIC fridge/freezer along with the DOMETIC battery that'll run the the F/F for 40 hours without a recharge and the solar panel to keep it charged up. Being able to make ice and keep things cold so they dont spoil will be a big advantage. Not only that having a cold drink will do wonders for moral.
Over the last five months we've spent a good 5K on food,water filters and other necessities.
It's like having plenty of ammo,it gives you a sense of security that if things do go to shit you're prepared.
There's a lot more stuff we've done like getting a bunch of Heirloom seeds that I havent listed.
I figure I've almost hit the TLDR point as it is.

Dude, if the shtf, can i hang out with you?

You're doing everything I would love to do!!! I'm just prepped for like a month...

You are awesome!!!!

Just ordered this set up from DOMETIC.
This setup was $2700.00

CFX3 95DZ

1653845341686.png

DOMETIC PLB40

1653845610445.png

And the DOMETIC Obsidian series 100 Watt solar panel.
I may need to get another Solar panel if the 100 Watt isnt enough.

1653845886240.png

This guy has the 75 liter model and he was running it from the PLB40 and the 100 watt solar panel and the battery never lost a charge as in it stayed at 100 percent.
I'm hoping my 95 Liter will do the same. If not I'll get another panel.

What kind of shit are we talking about? Power outages, natural disasters, political collapse or nuclear attack? The first two are relatively easy to deal with and a month supply of basics would probably do it. Rural folks have game and natural water, City folks have each other. Political collapse might involve stockpiling weapons and in the case of nuclear attack you might as well bend over and kiss your ass goodbye

What kind of shit are we talking about? Power outages, natural disasters, political collapse or nuclear attack? The first two are relatively easy to deal with and a month supply of basics would probably do it. Rural folks have game and natural water, City folks have each other. Political collapse might involve stockpiling weapons and in the case of nuclear attack you might as well bend over and kiss your ass goodbye

You prep for all possibilities as best you can.
Some are so bad you're fucked no matter how much you prepare unless of course you're dirty rich.
As far as relying on other city folks goes I wouldnt hold my breath,they're lucky if they have a five day supply of food and if water becomes an issue you can bet they may have a couple days worth and they sure as hell wont be sharing it.

You prep for all possibilities as best you can.
Some are so bad you're fucked no matter how much you prepare unless of course you're dirty rich.
As far as relying on other city folks goes I wouldnt hold my breath,they're lucky if they have a five day supply of food and if water becomes an issue you can bet they may have a couple days worth and they sure as hell wont be sharing it.
My opinion of "city folks having each other" wasn't intended as a positive statement on survival. It was food (no pun intended) for thought. The "dirty rich" might be able to protect themselves but in the event of a political collapse, money might not be worth much and the guns they had assumed to be protecting them from the rabble might be used against them. The bottom line is that the old nuclear warfare shelters might be handy in a tornado but the fantasy of surviving a nuclear war is just that. In the event of a long term collapse of society rural folks would be able to keep warm with wood heat and rely on old gardens and local game. City folks would have each other.

It actually came out a little watery. I would use 1/4 cup less water next time on the strokingoff.

I've heard that from several people.
My opinion of "city folks having each other" wasn't intended as a positive statement on survival. It was food (no pun intended) for thought. The "dirty rich" might be able to protect themselves but in the event of a political collapse, money might not be worth much and the guns they had assumed to be protecting them from the rabble might be used against them. The bottom line is that the old nuclear warfare shelters might be handy in a tornado but the fantasy of surviving a nuclear war is just that. In the event of a long term collapse of society rural folks would be able to keep warm with wood heat and rely on old gardens and local game. City folks would have each other.

When I mention the dirty rich I'm assuming they've already built their bunkers and have them stocked,I know I would. And there's been info about them doing just that,along with buying up farmland.
Nuclear bunkers are pretty common and you only need to stay in them for 2 days max before you can venture out,the whole you have to stay inside for a year is BS.
The Wife and I have over a year and a half of food and water on hand and a place to go to if things go bad for an extended period of time.
It sits on 6k acres and has plenty of game and fish along with several free flowing springs for water. And of course we have Heirloom seeds which we can plant in the spring. With the amount of food we have waiting for spring and for harvest is not problem.
And thats the key,having enough food to hold you over until you can plant and harvest. If we go to the bug out place we can eat fish and other game which will make that stored food last much longer.

You can survive in most cases if you're ready.
Of course if you take a direct hit from a nuke you're fucked.

Funny how nuclear disaster is a topic now that we have another thoroughly incompetent regime in power. A nuclear attack with modern weapons would be so devastating that you would probably be cooked inside your atomic bomb era shelter rather than be vaporized like the rest of us.

Forum List

Back