Any one wish to discuss Israel vs. Palestine here?

and this thread devolves into a perfect explanation of why there will never be peace in the middle east.

Hardly anyone is willing to admit that BOTH sides are at fault in multiple ways, nope more fun to blame one side or the other.

sounds sorta pretty close to right to me. i asked about solutions on a post and that pretty well died...and i conceded for the most part the past history while trying to acknowledge the facts. that wasn't easy.

people really need to be brave enough to get past all the wrongs and step forward and say "forget this. what can we do for each other that is mutually beneficial."

What would be mutually beneficial is for the Palestinian leadership call off all their terrorists and officially and finally agree that Israel has the right to exist in peace, prosperity, and without fear of its neighbors. Give Israel peace and you eliminate every roadblock to achieving mutual benefit. Israel's neighbors have no reason to fear an unthreatened and unattacked Israel.

and this thread devolves into a perfect explanation of why there will never be peace in the middle east.

Hardly anyone is willing to admit that BOTH sides are at fault in multiple ways, nope more fun to blame one side or the other.
Al... I hope you won't be advocating rationality regularly, life's too short.
Not only is it more fun to blame the other side, there is also more money to be made in arm sales by fanning the flames of hatred than by working for conciliation.

Apparently, at one time, reasonable Semites in the Middle East had an alternative vision to the one we see today:

"SOME MONTHS before the outbreak of the Six-Day War, I (Uri Avnery) met a high-ranking member of the Egyptian regime. The meeting took place in Paris through the auspices of a mutual friend.

"Throughout the years, I have met many leaders of the different Arab states, exchanging opinions and trading ideas for a settlement. But this meeting was different.

"At the outset, I said to my new-found friend: 'Let's make a list of all possible solutions to the Israeli-Arab conflict. Let's analyze every solution in turn and see where we get.'

"Taking a pen, we wrote the following list on the paper cloth on our table in the Paris restaurant:

"(A) Annihilation by war
(B) The destruction of Israel by political and economic isolation
(C) Status quo
(D) A Semitic federation."

Pax Semitica by Uri Avnery

For me it is simple. Somebody is mad at you for whatever reason and is determined to firebomb your house and kill or maim your family. Do you allow them to do that because you can see why they are mad? Can even sympathise with their anger?

Do you let them out of jail just because you understand why they are mad? Do you trust them just because they agree not to firebomb your house or try to kill your family for six months?

Or does the welfare and safety of your family take precedence over their hurt feelings?

maybe the solution is to create conditions and an environment where the warder's daughters and sons and the prisoner's daughters and sons won't kill each other.

i think you are approaching this the entirely wrong way. you have to put yourself totally and emotionally in the palestinian's shoes. i know this will happen...if israeli jews wipe out the palestinians, israel will be wiped out. the world will not forgive that.

Last edited:
For me it is simple. Somebody is mad at you for whatever reason and is determined to firebomb your house and kill or maim your family. Do you allow them to do that because you can see why they are mad? Can even sympathise with their anger?

Do you let them out of jail just because you understand why they are mad? Do you trust them just because they agree not to firebomb your house or try to kill your family for six months?

Or does the welfare and safety of your family take precedence over their hurt feelings?
"The 1948 Palestinian exodus, known in Arabic as the Nakba (Arabic: النكبة*, an-Nakbah, lit. "disaster", "catastrophe", or "cataclysm"),[1] occurred when approximately 711,000 to 725,000 Palestinian Arabs left, fled or were expelled from their homes, during the 1947–1948 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine and the 1948 Arab-Israeli War."

If ~700,000 Jews had fled from their homes in 1948, would their "hurt feelings" count for more or less in your moral calculus?

1948 Palestinian exodus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maybe the solution is to create conditions and an environment where the warder's daughters and sons and the prisoner's daughters and sons won't kill each other.

i think you are approaching this the entirely wrong way. you have to put yourself totally and emotionally in the palestinian's shoes. i know this will happen...if israeli jews wipe out the palestinians, israel will be wiped out. the world will not forgive that.

No I don't. I can empathise with the anger of that would be killer previously mentioned without in any way approving his method of dealing with his anger.

Israel has given absolutely zero reason to let anybody believe they want to wipe out anybody. They want to be left alone in peace, and I believe they would be 100% peaceful with anybody who understands and allows that.

There have been brief truces now and then, but all short lived and all without any acknowledgement of intent to allow the Israel to exist in peace. The Palestinians have never--I repeat NEVER--given any indication that they understand Israel's right to live in peace or that it should ever have any right to do so.

Until their leadership can do that and becomes proactive to ensure that it happens, they are the party who is most wrong and the least deserving of help.

Israel has given absolutely zero reason to let anybody believe they want to wipe out anybody. They want to be left alone in peace, and I believe they would be 100% peaceful with anybody who understands and allows that.
In each of the wars she fought, Israel gave land back; if the Israelis wanted to wipe out the palestinains, they would have done so already.
:dunno:

There have been brief truces now and then, but all short lived and all without any acknowledgement of intent to allow the Israel to exist in peace.
The Palestinians/Hamas define a 'liberated Palestine' as one where ALL of Palestine is 'liberated', including the land upion which sits Israel. Given that, there's no reason to think that Israel will ever live in peace.

Think Jordan and Egypt, both of whom DID agree that Israel should be allowed to exist and live in peace and who signed that conviction into law. Both had absolutely no fear of Israel and have enjoyed the free trade between their countries. (That will probably change between Egypt and Israel now that the Muslim Brotherhood has taken over the Egyptian government.) But the Palestinians could have been enjoying the same peaceful coexistance with Israel had they adopted the same peaceful attitude. And Israel would not be occupying any lands the U.N. originally intended that the Palestinians would have.

Think Jordan and Egypt, both of whom DID agree that Israel should be allowed to exist and live in peace and who signed that conviction into law. Both had absolutely no fear of Israel and have enjoyed the free trade between their countries.
One must note that this happened not because of any sort of diplomacy or act of 'international law' by the UN, but because they were tired of Israel smashing in their heads every time they tried to destroy her.

But the Palestinians could have been enjoying the same peaceful coexistance with Israel had they adopted the same peaceful attitude.
No question. Too bad the Jordanians left them out to dry, rather than take responsibility for their own people.

Think Jordan and Egypt, both of whom DID agree that Israel should be allowed to exist and live in peace and who signed that conviction into law. Both had absolutely no fear of Israel and have enjoyed the free trade between their countries. (That will probably change between Egypt and Israel now that the Muslim Brotherhood has taken over the Egyptian government.) But the Palestinians could have been enjoying the same peaceful coexistance with Israel had they adopted the same peaceful attitude. And Israel would not be occupying any lands the U.N. originally intended that the Palestinians would have.
Originally, the UN mandated 55% of the land between the Mediterranean Sea and Jordan River for a Jewish state in spite of the facts that Jews owned 6% of the land and comprised one-third of the population of Mandate Palestine.

Obviously some Jews have consistently sought more land than the UN originally intended, and, apparently, you blame the Arab victims of Greater Israel for resisting?

BTW, it was rich Arab leaders in Jordan and Egypt who accepted bribes paid for with US tax dollars to "support" Israel. The vast majority of Arabs are smart enough to realize the Jewish state is little more than a strategic asset for US control of Arab oil.

Think Jordan and Egypt, both of whom DID agree that Israel should be allowed to exist and live in peace and who signed that conviction into law. Both had absolutely no fear of Israel and have enjoyed the free trade between their countries.
One must note that this happened not because of any sort of diplomacy or act of 'international law' by the UN, but because they were tired of Israel smashing in their heads every time they tried to destroy her.

But the Palestinians could have been enjoying the same peaceful coexistance with Israel had they adopted the same peaceful attitude.
No question. Too bad the Jordanians left them out to dry, rather than take responsibility for their own people.

Yes, the Arab world's choice to allow the Palestinians suffer and even exacerbate their suffering rather than help them out is quite shameful. But rescueing the Palestinians, who have been committed to destroying Israel and Israelis as much as possible, is not and has never been Israel's responsibility.

Again, should the Arab world, most especailly the Palestinians, choose to give Israel the right to live in peace and without harrassment on its tiny little strip of land, and the Israelis do not reciprocate by being peaceful and non belligerant neighbors, then my quarrel will be with israel and not the Arabs.

Until then, Israel is not the ones who are in the most wrong.

Yes, the Arab world's choice to allow the Palestinians suffer and even exacerbate their suffering rather than help them out is quite shameful. But rescueing the Palestinians, who have been committed to destroying Israel and Israelis as much as possible, is not and has never been Israel's responsibility.

Again, should the Arab world, most especailly the Palestinians, choose to give Israel the right to live in peace and without harrassment on its tiny little strip of land, and the Israelis do not reciprocate by being peaceful and non belligerant neighbors, then my quarrel will be with israel and not the Arabs.

Until then, Israel is not the ones who are in the most wrong.
Perhaps Jordan should ask for the return of the WB, thereby taking resonsbility for the security of her former borders and actions of her former people. This would go a long way to rest Israel's security fears as Jordan want no part of a hostile Israel.

I think Jordan might have done that had it not been for the unyielding and belligerant stance of the Palestinian leadership be it Hamas, Hezbollah, PLO or whatever. Why would Jordan want to subject themselves to Israeli hostility caused by people intent on killing or maiming Israelis? Jordan has a very good thing going being Israel's peaceful trading neighbor.

I think Jordan might have done that had it not been for the unyeilding and belligerant stance of the Palestinian leadership be it Hamas, Hezbollah, PLO or whatever. Why would Jordan want to subject themselves to Israeli hostility caused by people intent on killing or maiming Israelis?
More clearly this does the -real- problem show.

I think Jordan might have done that had it not been for the unyielding and belligerant stance of the Palestinian leadership be it Hamas, Hezbollah, PLO or whatever. Why would Jordan want to subject themselves to Israeli hostility caused by people intent on killing or maiming Israelis? Jordan has a very good thing going being Israel's peaceful trading neighbor.

israel would have been ok with jordan taking in it's own people. the details of that effort might have taken some working out. but jordan never wanted the so-called refugees.

israel would have been ok with jordan taking in it's own people. the details of that effort might have taken some working out. but jordan never wanted the so-called refugees.
Edited
:clap2:

i'm usually right.

thanks. :thup:

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree. Israel has shown no interest in interfering in the internal affairs of other countries. All Israel has ever wanted is to simply be left alone in peace. We can argue until the cows come home the legalities, proprieties, and moral consequences of Israel's choices to defend itself and deal with those determined to destroy Israel, but the bottom line is that Israel has a history of leaving those alone who allow Israel its peace.

No I don't. I can empathise with the anger of that would be killer previously mentioned without in any way approving his method of dealing with his anger.

There have been brief truces now and then, but all short lived and all without any acknowledgement of intent to allow the Israel to exist in peace. The Palestinians have never--I repeat NEVER--given any indication that they understand Israel's right to live in peace or that it should ever have any right to do so.

Until their leadership can do that and becomes proactive to ensure that it happens, they are the party who is most wrong and the least deserving of help.

ok...i get it...and if i had to make a choice then as to who gets pushed into the sea, then i am all for the jews being pushed into the sea...given no other alternative between one or the other.

i swear, can't you get out of the finger pointing mode for even a brief moment. i am pretty good at adversarial bargaining...and i think you reflect the israeli governments stance quite well.

I agree. Israel has shown no interest in interfering in the internal affairs of other countries. All Israel has ever wanted is to simply be left alone in peace. We can argue until the cows come home the legalities, proprieties, and moral consequences of Israel's choices to defend itself and deal with those determined to destroy Israel, but the bottom line is that Israel has a history of leaving those alone who allow Israel its peace.
That would come as a big surprise to Jonathan Pollard and Larry Franklin:

"In August 2004, the media discovered an FBI investigation, begun in 1999, involving Pentagon intelligence analyst Larry Franklin.

"He had openly met Israeli Embassy intelligence officer Naor Gilon as well as two AIPAC officials, director Steve Rosen and chief analyst Keith Weissman. He pleaded guilty in October 2005 to revealing classified information and is now serving a 12-year prison sentence.

"Rosen and Weissman are currently on trial.

"If the prosecution is correct, Franklin passed classified information relating to Iran to both AIPAC employees, who in turn provided the information to the Israeli Embassy."

The Spy Who Loves Us | The American Conservative

The CIA currently regards Israel as the biggest threat to US state secrets in the Middle East which seems a funny way of leaving peace-loving people alone.

How many times do you have to be told, an "occupational force" cannot claim self-defense?

i'd also point out that israel has made peace with any country that was a willing partner.

neither the PA nor Hamas were willing partners. Arafat even said he "couldn't" make peace or he'd "end up drinking tea with rabin".

Forum List

Back