" Any N. American game animal, <2 shots, .22 Hornet".

May 21, 2015
"I bet my farm that I can do this, under conditions of fair chase and I bet another $50,000 (in today's money) that i can do it, too". This is paraphrased from Jim Carmichael's Complete Book of the Rifle, due to size of the subject box. Jim was shooting editor for Outdoor Life for decades, held many Boone and Crockett and Safari Club records for game in Africa and N America, and several records in rifle matches (both benchrest and bullseye) 22 hornets are bolt actions, or Single shots, so he was NOT talking about fast repeat hits. :) The M4 has 50% more power than the Hornet, too. Care to claim that you know more about this than Jim did? Wanna bet a million $ farm that I can't do the same with an M4? :)

Fact is, if you are desperate for meat, you FIND a way to make your tools suffice. Wanna bet that an elk goes more than 200 yds after taking 2-3 223 ball rds to the chest? In many states that have elk, you'll see him fall if that's as far as he runs. With 3 hits to the chest, the odds are very high that either both lungs are hit, or that a lung AND heart, liver, spleen or kidneys have been hit. if that's the case, he's going to be seriously weakened in 5-6 seconds, and unable to walk/run in twice that long. top speed of an elk is 50 fps, so 200 yds is all that he's going to have before he runs out of gas. The M4 offers the TRACER ammo option, you know. :) while firing 5-6 rds at a fleeing animal is mostly going to = gut hits, those sort of hits hurt, bleed, and weaken the critter, too. Nothing much about survival poaching has anything to do with sportsmanship, folks.

You really are a fanboy of the M4, aren't you?

I get that you want it to be the best all around rifle ever made. Great. But too many of your claims have been bullshit. And this serious insecurity about what anyone else thinks is laughable.

All your posts seem to be saying you're really a lousy shot, ignorant about wildlife and a very dishonorable man.

Subsistence poaching is no excuse for any of that.

Under certain conditions, I can kill any north American game animal with my Case folding knife and Daisy lever action.

"I bet my farm that I can do this, under conditions of fair chase and I bet another $50,000 (in today's money) that i can do it, too". This is paraphrased from Jim Carmichael's Complete Book of the Rifle, due to size of the subject box. Jim was shooting editor for Outdoor Life for decades, held many Boone and Crockett and Safari Club records for game in Africa and N America, and several records in rifle matches (both benchrest and bullseye) 22 hornets are bolt actions, or Single shots, so he was NOT talking about fast repeat hits. :) The M4 has 50% more power than the Hornet, too. Care to claim that you know more about this than Jim did? Wanna bet a million $ farm that I can't do the same with an M4? :)

Fact is, if you are desperate for meat, you FIND a way to make your tools suffice. Wanna bet that an elk goes more than 200 yds after taking 2-3 223 ball rds to the chest? In many states that have elk, you'll see him fall if that's as far as he runs. With 3 hits to the chest, the odds are very high that either both lungs are hit, or that a lung AND heart, liver, spleen or kidneys have been hit. if that's the case, he's going to be seriously weakened in 5-6 seconds, and unable to walk/run in twice that long. top speed of an elk is 50 fps, so 200 yds is all that he's going to have before he runs out of gas. The M4 offers the TRACER ammo option, you know. :) while firing 5-6 rds at a fleeing animal is mostly going to = gut hits, those sort of hits hurt, bleed, and weaken the critter, too. Nothing much about survival poaching has anything to do with sportsmanship, folks.
if all I had was a 22 long rifle you better believe I would shoot at a deer. only hope I hit him in the heart and I can track him or her but if that's all you have for sure I think I could kill a deer with a 22 bullet.

did you ever watch Jeremiah Johnson? he had a s***** gun and luckily found a dead wilderness man frozen with his rifle in his hand and his gun was much more powerful than Jeremiah is. up until now I've only been allowed to hunt with muzzleloader or shotgun or crossbow but now we just got property where I'll be able to shoot with a gun that can go a very long distance. I can't wait to be able to shoot deer that are a thousand yards away and that's 60 or 40 or a hundred at best with a muzzleloader

All your posts seem to be saying you're really a lousy shot, ignorant about wildlife and a very dishonorable man.

Subsistence poaching is no excuse for any of that.
I want the biggest gun possible so the animal doesn't suffer anymore than it has to. and I don't know where he's from but where I'm from you only get one shot you don't get 3

You really are a fanboy of the M4, aren't you?

I get that you want it to be the best all around rifle ever made. Great. But too many of your claims have been bullshit. And this serious insecurity about what anyone else thinks is laughable.
I think hes got a hard on for his gun

Under certain conditions, I can kill any north American game animal with my Case folding knife and Daisy lever action.
what does the Daisy shoot what size ammo?
A Daisy is an old time BB gun. I guess I forgot sarcasm and humor don't always work well in print. I figured everyone would recognize the Daisy and get it, but this is what happens when you get older. In my youth everyone had a lever action Daisy. It was your first introduction to a rifle.

I have a question. I go out to property where there are bears. if one came at me I have a 410 shotgun and a five round 22 with hollow points but it's a Derringer. the first shot if a bear was coming at me would be with the 410 shotgun not very powerful but will it kill a bear? I know it could kill a bear but would it kill it or make it run off at least if I shot it? I was thinking the first shot should be up in the air to scare the bear what do you think? Its a one shot. I still have the 22 and I can put five shots in them sure its not a big gun but i cant imagine it would not run off being shot with it and hearing that noise is very loud. anyways my question is should I shoot the bear with a 410 in the face as it's coming at me or should I shoot in the air?

I hope the hell I'm never out hunting within 10 miles of this fool. ..... :cool:
I want to see this fool hunt a bear with that s***

LMAO!! I had to laugh at the thought of a decent sized grizzly charging this wannabe.
I've also seen documentaries where you can hold off a bear with a stick let alone a 410 shotgun pointing at it and keeping it between you and the bear. so I'm wondering what do you think should the first shot be at the bear if you only have a one shot shotgun and a 5 round derringer or should you shoot in the air to scare it? I really don't want to hurt it but I want to live to. I think if I shut it up in the air and pointed it at the bear I could even reloaded second round. seriously curious about this

Again, fools CANNOT separate-out (in their little minds), the DIFFERENCE between sport-hunting and survival poaching. and for the punk who's scared spitless of bears, there's at least 100 black bears for every Grizz in the lower 48 states and half of the black bears are no bigger than your typical redneck or biker. I"d think nothing of hunting them all day long with a 1911 autopistol. Such a hunter just has to be smarter than YOU are, that's all (not hard) All you have to do, really, is bait them in and use a tree stand to fire from. What's to worry about, THEN, hmm? Nothing, that's what. Same thing with grizzly or brown bear and the 223. With the latter, tho, take brain shots, since the rifle gives the hunter that option, why not take it? I bet that it hurts to be as ignorant as you guys are.

what does the Daisy shoot what size ammo?
A Daisy is an old time BB gun. I guess I forgot sarcasm and humor don't always work well in print. I figured everyone would recognize the Daisy and get it, but this is what happens when you get older. In my youth everyone had a lever action Daisy. It was your first introduction to a rifle.
oh I had one too I just thought maybe that they came out with a real gun like at 22 or something

I have a question. I go out to property where there are bears. if one came at me I have a 410 shotgun and a five round 22 with hollow points but it's a Derringer. the first shot if a bear was coming at me would be with the 410 shotgun not very powerful but will it kill a bear? I know it could kill a bear but would it kill it or make it run off at least if I shot it? I was thinking the first shot should be up in the air to scare the bear what do you think? Its a one shot. I still have the 22 and I can put five shots in them sure its not a big gun but i cant imagine it would not run off being shot with it and hearing that noise is very loud. anyways my question is should I shoot the bear with a 410 in the face as it's coming at me or should I shoot in the air?
Killing in regards to bear is secondary to stopping power. Bears charge. They are fast. Neither your .410 or .22 would stop a charging bear, even a medium sized black bear. Why don't you carry something more appropriate?

there's no such thing as a '5 rd derringer". There used to be a 4 shot variant, but I haven't seen it for sale for many years now. The m4 is the finest combat and survival rifle available (for use in the US). Adapting its use for hunting if shtf is a pertinent subject. Being stupid enough as to only have a single shot (regardless of caliber or gauge) is reason enough to wish that you not survive, actually.

Again, fools CANNOT separate-out (in their little minds), the DIFFERENCE between sport-hunting and survival poaching. and for the punk who's scared spitless of bears, there's at least 100 black bears for every Grizz in the lower 48 states and half of the black bears are no bigger than your typical redneck or biker. I"d think nothing of hunting them all day long with a 1911 autopistol. Such a hunter just has to be smarter than YOU are, that's all (not hard) All you have to do, really, is bait them in and use a tree stand to fire from. What's to worry about, THEN, hmm? Nothing, that's what. Same thing with grizzly or brown bear and the 223. With the latter, tho, take brain shots, since the rifle gives the hunter that option, why not take it? I bet that it hurts to be as ignorant as you guys are.
I told you all I had was a 22 derringer 5 shot and a 410 shotgun. now I'm pretty sure I don't even have to shoot the bear if it was coming at me aggressively I could probably keep it at bay with just the gun pointing at it but I'm wondering if shooting up in the air and a bear who's being aggressive is smart or should I shoot it and kill it immediately I'm going to assume you think I should kill it immediately. and why are you so insulting c********* sucker

Forum List

Back