Any Americans here besides me whose grandfather fought in WWI and father fought in WWII?

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
It is funny how sometimes we think other people are like ourselves when the fact is they have no clue. My Mom's father, a civilian engineer building bridges and designing architecture like another famous relative (my Mom's maternal Grandpa, Charles Prosper Wolff Schoemaker, who designed a number of buildings of note such as the one shown below) of mine in Indonesia was imprisoned by the Japanese Imperial Army for 4 years in a concentration camp even after his relatives actually taught English in Japan prior. No reparations, no college courses about savages attacking modern man, no CNN fake news casts about injustice...

COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Villa_Isola_aan_de_Lembangweg_bij_Bandoeng_TMnr_60026636.jpg

Last edited:
can't be ''many'' WW1 vets left + USMB members with both make that very, very low

It is funny how sometimes we think other people are like ourselves when the fact is they have no clue. My Mom's father, a civilian engineer building bridges and designing architecture like another famous relative (my Mom's maternal Grandpa, Charles Prosper Wolff Schoemaker, who designed a number of buildings of note such as the one shown below) of mine in Indonesia was imprisoned by the Japanese Imperial Army for 4 years in a concentration camp even after his relatives actually taught English in Japan prior. No reparations, no college courses about savages attacking modern man, no CNN fake news casts about injustice...

COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Villa_Isola_aan_de_Lembangweg_bij_Bandoeng_TMnr_60026636.jpg
My grandfather served in both World Wars.

Father and several uncles in WWII.

I never asked about their father, who passed when I was very young. Time would have been about right. Someday I should look it up.

Maternal grandfather lost one eye and hearing in one ear in mine accident. Did not serve.

My one grandfather didn't get drafted for WWI, because he was a big city Cop. My grandmother married him because her fiancé got drafted into the Army, and was sent to Europe. Nice, huh? :)

My Dad served in WWII.

My GF was 9 during WWI....my Dad served in Japan after the war.
I haven't a clue about my Mom's side.

Snouter, what's your point? That you are 'more American' because of your antecedent's actions and education? Does their productive lives make you a better person? What have YOU done? You cannot live off their efforts any more than I am brave because several of my immediate family served in WWII when I was a child.

It is a good thing that you are proud of the accomplishments of your family, as you should be, we all should be, since they were inventive and made of sterner stuff. But that's THEIR glory, not ours. When I was a kid back in the early 40s in Michigan, everything was rationed and restricted. Crammed car pooling was common. And the factory manager rode to work with the janitor and secretaries and Rosie the Riveter. IOW, it was a time of sharing for the common good. So you'll forgive me if I see today as an "I got mine, screw you" era.

Snouter, what's your point? That you are 'more American' because of your antecedent's actions and education? Does their productive lives make you a better person? What have YOU done? You cannot live off their efforts any more than I am brave because several of my immediate family served in WWII when I was a child.

It is a good thing that you are proud of the accomplishments of your family, as you should be, we all should be, since they were inventive and made of sterner stuff. But that's THEIR glory, not ours. When I was a kid back in the early 40s in Michigan, everything was rationed and restricted. Crammed car pooling was common. And the factory manager rode to work with the janitor and secretaries and Rosie the Riveter. IOW, it was a time of sharing for the common good. So you'll forgive me if I see today as an "I got mine, screw you" era.

If it is ok to be proud of someone's families accomplishments, your initial response should not be to attribute negative motives for doing so.

If it is ok to be proud of someone's families accomplishments, your initial response should not be to attribute negative motives for doing so.
Thanks Correl. I didn't mean to be negative. But Snouter gives the impression that he is justified in feeling a tad above others who have 'no clue', and then goes on to list his ancestor's accomplishments. I apologize to Snouter if he/she/it meant otherwise. However I did acknowledge that he has every right to be proud of his relative's accomplishments.

Forum List

Back