Answers to all your questions on UHC

As if the govenment has unlimited funds. Oh wait. You are a democratic you actually believe the government has unlimited funds.

The European experience is that all you do is put the govenment in charge of who lives and who dies and of what.

More silliness....

No one is going to outlaw private insurance.

It's called a government option for a reason.

But thanks for misrepresenting the truth. It's what you do.

You believe they are being honest ... that's a really sad state of slavery.

As if the govenment has unlimited funds. Oh wait. You are a democratic you actually believe the government has unlimited funds.

The European experience is that all you do is put the govenment in charge of who lives and who dies and of what.

More silliness....

No one is going to outlaw private insurance.

It's called a government option for a reason.

But thanks for misrepresenting the truth. It's what you do.

so Chris is this Govt plan going to cover those amongst us with serious problems that may need daily professional help?....how about the elderly?....are they going to be able to afford their meds without rationing what they get?....will this plan cover or help someone in a home...how about those with so called "un-affordable "diseases that private ins. turns down?.....are these people still up shit creek Chris?.....or is relief on the way?

The European experiance is that they live longer than we do, they have healthier old ages, and a far lower infant mortality rate than we do. Results count, ideology that ignores reality is for idiots.

I can't wait for UHC so it can go bankrupt like Medicare and Social Security. Then I get to pay for someone else's health insurance who is perfectly capable of paying for it themselves. Joy and Happiness!!!

I can't wait for UHC so it can go bankrupt like Medicare and Social Security. Then I get to pay for someone else's health insurance who is perfectly capable of paying for it themselves. Joy and Happiness!!!

Aaaw ... such a sweet sentiment .... instead you could just give me the cash and cut out the middle man altogether. ;)

This debate is getting old very quickly. Those on the right have the same answers and those on the left have the same answers, over and over again. The bottom line is that we are paying way too much for healthcare, and with the costs continuing to spiral out of control, healthcare will break us in the end. Until there is serious discussion about how to reduce costs, nothing will change. Those on the right will defend our current system until it bankrupts everyone including themselves. Those on the left will demand a one payer system regardless of how ineffective it may actually be when it comes to providing healthcare.

No matter what, the way we are headed is going to lead us to rationed care. Unless we find a way to reduce costs, we're all going to pay the price. In the meantime though, please keep arguing your political ideology rather than tackling the problem in an intelligent manner.

See Senator Wyden's ideas.

Legislation | Senator Ron Wyden | Standing Up for All of Oregon

After 60 years of gridlock on a desperately needed overhaul of the nation's health care system, Senator Wyden has introduced a groundbreaking proposal to provide affordable, high quality, private health coverage for everyone regardless of where they work or live. Since he first introduced the proposal in 2007, Senator Wyden has built the largest bipartisan coalition of Senators supporting a comprehensive health reform proposal since the days of Harry Truman.

The plan, known as the Healthy Americans Act, would:

guarantee private health care coverage for all Americans and allow them to choose the health insurance that is right for them;
provide health benefits equal to those that Members of Congress now enjoy;
modernize the employer-employee relationship regarding health care benefits making health care portable from job to job and even allow Americans to keep it between jobs;
provide incentives for individuals and insurers to focus on prevention, wellness and disease management rewarding Americans for maintaining healthy lifestyles;
establish tough cost containment measures that save $1.48 trillion over 10 years;
as demonstrated by the Congressional Budget Office, the plan would pay for itself once the act is up and running by eliminating administrative costs and changing the outdated tax code that gives businesses write-offs for even the most lavish designer health plans; and
return surpluses to the government after the first two years of implementation.

Aaaw ... such a sweet sentiment .... instead you could just give me the cash and cut out the middle man altogether. ;)

Ridiculous! The government knows best. Just send them your money and they'll decide how to spend it. Putting your complete trust in government is not only necessary, it's the law.

Ridiculous! The government knows best. Just send them your money and they'll decide how to spend it. Putting your complete trust in government is not only necessary, it's the law.

Yep, those with all the power are the ones we must trust. *sage nod* If it wasn't for them we wouldn't know which meds are the deadliest to take ... erm ... which foods are the best to eat ... um ... wait ... what was I trying to say again? :eusa_eh:

:yawn:

I have but one question for the Representatives and the Senators: Have you read this bill?

'Nuff said.

I don't think they got past the title page.
The problem is this: Congresscritters will not listen to their constituents, and will pass this anyway after the recess. Their minds are made up and they are ignoring questions, and just spewing the rehearsed and spoon fed talking points. They don't know what is in this bill and don't care.

They don't care about the elections, those are far down the road and they know what a short memory and attention span the American voter has, and are banking on the economy recovering (or being SOLD as recovering) by this time next year. And since the MSM will be trumpeting the "great recovery" by then, the voters will return to their sheep state and just vote by rote.

That's the gamble they are taking. And they're probably going to win.

psted by midcan 5:

"Do we as citizens want corporations, the AMA, the insurance companies, and the hospitals to control healthcare - because people, average working people sure don't. So yes, we need more competition even if it is government pulling some strings. "

I sure as hell want the hospitals to control healthcare their the ones that fix you. There will be no competition if government getis in there. Business's who pay their employee's health care pay more than a 7% payroll tax, they will gladly dump this insurance on their employees thereby forcing

so Chris is this Govt plan going to cover those amongst us with serious problems that may need daily professional help?....how about the elderly?....are they going to be able to afford their meds without rationing what they get?....will this plan cover or help someone in a home...how about those with so called "un-affordable "diseases that private ins. turns down?.....are these people still up shit creek Chris?.....or is relief on the way?

so i have asked Chris and Rocks this question at least 3 times apiece in different threads on this subject and it gets danced around like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers.....i wonder why they wont either say yes or no.....maybe some other pro-NHC person will take a mighty leap and give me an answer.....:eusa_eh:

so i have asked Chris and Rocks this question at least 3 times apiece in different threads on this subject and it gets danced around like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers.....i wonder why they wont either say yes or no.....maybe some other pro-NHC person will take a mighty leap and give me an answer.....:eusa_eh:

Right now, the private insurance companies ration health care. When I started Medicare, not a single question was asked about pre-existing conditions. However, in the past, when changing jobs and coverage, that was immediatly made clear, that the new company would not cover pre-existing conditions.

The simple solution would be to make Medicare the universal plan for all Americans, and tax all income to support it. That would cost far less per capita than our present system.

Well, just off the top of My head.....

When I purchase health insurance or get it through My employer (I have the option to turn it down) I am making the choice of what kind of care I will have access too. That is called personal liberty. The current plan, as it is written, requires everyone to have some form of health care or they will be fined. Since the government plan will be the one that everyone will have to look to, we will not have any choices in how we wish to be covered or if we chose not to be covered at all.

I was at the airport and SR-CNN was airing a special on UHC and the main panelist was saying that a person is just plain selfish if they chose to go uninsured. If you take that kind of logic to its 'logical' ending, anything we chose on our own is considered selfish. So, that begs the question. Is that just an opening for the curtailing of other liberties?

I agree that you should have your liberty to go without health insurance. However, if you become sick, you should not be treated unless you can pay for it out of pocket. People who willingly choose to go without health insurance when they can afford it, end up passing the costs on to those of us who do have it because those without it will be treated for most things.

Right now, the private insurance companies ration health care. When I started Medicare, not a single question was asked about pre-existing conditions. However, in the past, when changing jobs and coverage, that was immediatly made clear, that the new company would not cover pre-existing conditions.

The simple solution would be to make Medicare the universal plan for all Americans, and tax all income to support it. That would cost far less per capita than our present system.

It won't cost less if we don't address all of the waste. While a single payer system would reduce administrative costs significantly, that only addresses one of the many problems which are driving healthcare costs through the roof. And just telling doctors and hospitals that they will have to make due with less will end up in rationing care even more.

The biggest problem is that the same arguments heard on this board are heard from our representatives in government. One side says leave it alone because the present system works fine (yea right), and the other side says just let government take over as that will reduce costs (yea right). This issue won't be solved with simple answers, yet that is all we get from both sides. It scares me that we have actually devolved to this point intellectually.

It won't cost less if we don't address all of the waste. While a single payer system would reduce administrative costs significantly, that only addresses one of the many problems which are driving healthcare costs through the roof. And just telling doctors and hospitals that they will have to make due with less will end up in rationing care even more.

The biggest problem is that the same arguments heard on this board are heard from our representatives in government. One side says leave it alone because the present system works fine (yea right), and the other side says just let government take over as that will reduce costs (yea right). This issue won't be solved with simple answers, yet that is all we get from both sides. It scares me that we have actually devolved to this point intellectually.

In response to the bolded above:

The British have 1.4 million people employed by the National Health Service. It is the third biggest employer in the world after the Red Army in China and the Indian National Railways. Most of those 1.4 million people are administrators, that the managers outnumber the doctors and nurses. And that is an electoral bloc that makes it almost impossible to get rid of once it has been established.

psted by midcan 5:

"Do we as citizens want corporations, the AMA, the insurance companies, and the hospitals to control healthcare - because people, average working people sure don't. So yes, we need more competition even if it is government pulling some strings. "

I sure as hell want the hospitals to control healthcare their the ones that fix you. There will be no competition if government getis in there. Business's who pay their employee's health care pay more than a 7% payroll tax, they will gladly dump this insurance on their employees thereby forcing

are you saying the companies will drop employee health insurance and take the gvt sanctioned penalty instead? because there will be a penalty to those companies WHO CAN AFFORD to offer it based on their size/sales, will be penalized if they don't offer coverage....from what i read.... though, there will be 60% of the businesses out there, due to their small size, will be exempt from the requirement of offering insurance....

IF the business is too small, then their employees get to CHOOSE from the private insurance policies available to them at the Insurance Exchange in their state, OR the gvt option/or nonprofit coop plan....if the employee makes too little to reasonably afford the policy, then there is gvt money to help them buy one....not necessarily buy one for them, but HELP them...so the person getting the insurance is a participant, and has something at stake.

at the Insurance Exchange, the insurance companies are required, to put in to understandable terms for the every day joe citizen, the terms of their qualified policies being offered, so that those that need insurance have one stop shopping on insurance plans, including costs, caps, and deductibles....from what i have read on it...

In response to the bolded above:

The British have 1.4 million people employed by the National Health Service. It is the third biggest employer in the world after the Red Army in China and the Indian National Railways. Most of those 1.4 million people are administrators, that the managers outnumber the doctors and nurses. And that is an electoral bloc that makes it almost impossible to get rid of once it has been established.

but medicare IS A SINGLE payer gvt health care system for the elderly and medicare does not employ or own, any of the hospitals or doctors....they are private businesses not gvt?

care

Forum List

Back