Another Parent-Teacher Night

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Waiting it out on another parent-teacher night. Pretty slow going, but the parents who come clearly care and are involved in their children's education. Even though I have to speak in their L1 with many of these parents, their involvement and its effect on their children's success is obvious. Invariably, the parents who do make a point of coming to talk about their children's classes are some of my best students. It's no coincidence.

When a father comes in and shakes hands with well-worn, working hands then we chat for a few minutes in Spanish about how his son or daughter is doing in school, you know America still works the way it always has. Caring, involved immigrant parents working hard and making sure their children get a good education and more opportunities than maybe they had themselves. One of the most classic patterns of generational American strength.

What do the parents do if the teacher only speaks English?
We have kids from the Jr ROTC stationed all around the school who can help out with translation, directions, schedules, etc. They really do a great job. Also, a lot of the teachers who only speak English take the time beforehand to prepare translations of explanations of curricula and class expectations and such.

We have kids from the Jr ROTC stationed all around the school who can help out with translation, directions, schedules, etc. They really do a great job. Also, a lot of the teachers who only speak English take the time beforehand to prepare translations of explanations of curricula and class expectations and such.
That’s cool. Glad to hear they haven’t cut JROTC from high schools along with everything else

That’s cool. Glad to hear they haven’t cut JROTC from high schools along with everything else
We have a really strong Jr ROTC program, and the kids are eager to help out on such occasions. They are all in uniform around the school. Polite, helpful, respectful. It's a good thing. In many instances it helps kids get on or stay on the right track.

Invariably, the parents who do make a point of coming to talk about their children's classes are some of my best students. It's no coincidence.
I'm not following. These parents are among your best students? Best former students? Or are their kids among your best students?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back