Another one of Life's Lessons and What you Learn from Them

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
I think learning from your own experiences and mistakes, is an important part of life...

Here is a lesson Matt and I learned not too long ago...

once, my husband, who really is a good soul.... and honest to the bone...gives money back to cashiers all the time, when they make mistakes, turns wallets in he finds with all intact, helps the old lady cross the street etc....

had an incident in a store he was shopping in once, that i will never forget. A lesson was learned by the both of us from it...

making a long long story short, matt was in a hurry, shopping for a specific thing, there was a woman blocking the aisle while she was shopping, matt needed to get by and several times he said, ''excuse me'' to her, trying to get her to shimmy over and let him by and she just ignored him each time, on purpose....which was making him angry....but he finally got by her and went on his way, still angry inside, and cursing her rudeness inside his head....which is really not fitting of his personality but he had a bad day at work, needed to stop and get this widget, and just wanted to get it and go home, with it, in hand....

Well, he got by as said, went on and found what he needed, and at the register while paying for it, he saw this woman that had blocked him and put the topping on his already crappy day...another woman had joined her....

AND that is when he noticed....that she was using sign language....she was deaf, and never heard him asking her to move, so he could get by.... he got angry for nothing....he thought awful things about this woman.... HE WAS SO ASHAMED OF HIMSELF....when he walked through the door that evening, he told me what happened confessed to me immediately on how horrible he was, and sorry he was so filled with anger for someone he obviously did not know enough about to make the judgments he did about her.

DO we really know people well enough here on this site, to even let someone else on here make us angry over their point of view? I've fallen pray to such myself.... :(

WHAT is your story, your one lesson learned that sticks out?

care

That's a good story.

We've got to not judge others, be respectful, and understanding. We got to put ourselves in other's positions. What would we do in someone elses situation?

It's an excellent point.

when you realize that you are in control of your reaction to things......and other people don't "make" you anything.....you will never give other people that power again.....

when you realize that you are in control of your reaction to things......and other people don't "make" you anything.....you will never give other people that power again.....

How true. The one lesson I learned years ago was there is only one thing that we can honestly control and that is how we react to everything and anything. Events and circumstances happen, we only have any real control over ourselves.

A person, place or thing has meaning only if we give meaning to it.
What I thought was important, who I thought was important, I gave too much meaning to. I was wrong in doing so, for I mean nothing to them.

From now on, I will only give meaning to those individuals in my life who I love and who I know for a fact, love me.

Dang. Did I use the word 'meaning' too often in this post? lol What does it matter? This post means nothing to anyone except me. Now if you all will excuse me, I need to go reinforce my inpenetrable outer shell now encompassing my being.

Deaf or not, it was disrespectful of others shopping in the store to block the isle.

There's always two ways to look at something. Don't beat yourself up unless you really deserve it.

I remember a story my dad told me. When he was a young man, he was lying under a car working on it. A guy he knew came up and engaged him in conversation. This guy brings up the name of another person and gets my dad to talking about him and bad mouthing him. It was then that my dad looked out from under the car and saw two sets of feet. Yep, the guy he was talking bad about. My dad determined from that day forward that he would never say anything about a person unless he had something good to say. In the 44 years I got to share with my dad, I never heard him say anything bad about anyone.

All my life I looked for a man I could live with. When I met the light of my life I thought I had found that man. I WAS WRONG! I had finally met the man I can NOT LIVE WITHOUT! My life lesson? Looking for what you think you just gotta have is not always the thing that you really NEED.

Forum List

Back