Another Kerrytale unravelling

Merlin1047

Mar 28, 2004
AL
The following is a summary of the paltry efforts of jacques francois kerrie as a US Senator. The Bush campaign credits him with passing five bills. The AP credits kerrie with 8. Factcheck.org credits him with 11. Let's be generous and assume that 11 is the correct figure. Kerrie claims that he "passed" 56 bills - over five times more than the most optimistic unbiased figure. And he's getting paid how much for this???????????

Perhaps now we see how he managed to get those three Purple Hearts and somehow got into Cambodia.

http://www.factcheck.org/article282.html

Just How Many Bills Has Kerry Passed?
Bush said Kerry passed five bills. Kerry said he's passed 56. Who's right? That depends on the definition of "passed" and "bills."

October 15, 2004
Modified: October 16, 2004

Summary

At the final presidential debate, Bush said Kerry had passed only five bills during his career, and Kerry said he had passed 56. Actually, we found eleven measures authored by Kerry have been signed into law, including a save-the-dolphins law, a law naming a federal building, a law giving a posthumous award to Jackie Robinson last year, and laws declaring "world population awareness weeks" in 1989 and 1991.

Bush counted only measures technically defined as "bills," leaving out four "joint resolutions" that also have the force of law, and he also omitted two laws whose House versions were adopted in a form nearly identical to Senate versions authored by Kerry.

When Kerry said "I've actually passed 56 individual bills that I've personally written" he was counting everything that had passed the Senate, whether or not it cleared the House. He also counts 24 resolutions that have no force of law.

Analysis

During the Oct. 13 debate in Tempe, AZ, Bush and Kerry contradicted each other on the number of bills Kerry has passed. Both can't be right, so we asked each campaign for their list of specific bills, and we took a look. What we found is that both men were playing word games.

Passed How Many Bills?

Bush: He introduced some 300 bills and he's passed five.

Kerry: Once again, the president is misleading America. I've actually passed 56 individual bills that I've personally written and, in addition to that, and not always under my name, there is (sic) amendments on certain bills.
Bush: "passed five"

When Bush said Kerry "passed five" bills, he was counting five bills Kerry authored that passed the Senate, the House, were signed by the president, and became law.

That's technically accurate but omits six other pieces of Kerry legislation that have become law.

The Bush campaign's backup lists five bills, which we verified:

S.791: Authorizes $53 million over four years to provide grants to woman-owned small businesses. (1999)
S.1206: Names a federal building in Waltham, Massachusetts after Frederick C. Murphy, who was killed in action during World War II and awarded (posthumously) the Medal of Honor. (1994)
S.1636: A save-the-dolphins measure aiming “to improve the program to reduce the incidental taking of marine mammals during the course of commercial fishing operations.” (1994)
S.1563: Funding the National Sea Grant College Program, which supports university-based research, public education, and other projects “to promote better understanding, conservation and use of America’s coastal resources.” (1991)
S.423: Granting a visa and admission to the U.S. as a permanent resident to Kil Joon Yu Callahan. (1987)

The Bush campaign left out two bills authored by Kerry which passed the Senate and later became law in a slightly different form approved by the House, under the same titles and mostly same substance. (This occurs when House and Senate versions differ so slightly that one house adopts the other's version rather than go to the trouble of a House-Senate conference to work out a compromise.) The citations were provided by the Kerry campaign, and we verified them:

H.R.1900 (S.300): Awarded a congressional gold medal to Jackie Robinson (posthumously), and called for a national day of recognition. (2003)
H.R.1860 (S.856): Increased the maximum research grants for small businesses from $500,000 to $750,000 under the Small Business Technology Transfer Program. (2001)

In a related article in January we quoted an Associated Press article that turned up only eight laws that bear Kerry's name. The AP's count omits these two House measures which technically don't bear Kerry's name and a private law (S.423) granting a visa and permanent residency to Kil Joon Yu Callahan that we are including in our count of 11.

Merlin1047 said:
The following is a summary of the paltry efforts of jacques francois kerrie as a US Senator. The Bush campaign credits him with passing five bills. The AP credits kerrie with 8. Factcheck.org credits him with 11. Let's be generous and assume that 11 is the correct figure. Kerrie claims that he "passed" 56 bills - over five times more than the most optimistic unbiased figure. And he's getting paid how much for this???????????

Perhaps now we see how he managed to get those three Purple Hearts and somehow got into Cambodia.

http://www.factcheck.org/article282.html

Just How Many Bills Has Kerry Passed?
Bush said Kerry passed five bills. Kerry said he's passed 56. Who's right? That depends on the definition of "passed" and "bills."

October 15, 2004
Modified: October 16, 2004

Summary

At the final presidential debate, Bush said Kerry had passed only five bills during his career, and Kerry said he had passed 56. Actually, we found eleven measures authored by Kerry have been signed into law, including a save-the-dolphins law, a law naming a federal building, a law giving a posthumous award to Jackie Robinson last year, and laws declaring "world population awareness weeks" in 1989 and 1991.

Bush counted only measures technically defined as "bills," leaving out four "joint resolutions" that also have the force of law, and he also omitted two laws whose House versions were adopted in a form nearly identical to Senate versions authored by Kerry.

When Kerry said "I've actually passed 56 individual bills that I've personally written" he was counting everything that had passed the Senate, whether or not it cleared the House. He also counts 24 resolutions that have no force of law.

Analysis

During the Oct. 13 debate in Tempe, AZ, Bush and Kerry contradicted each other on the number of bills Kerry has passed. Both can't be right, so we asked each campaign for their list of specific bills, and we took a look. What we found is that both men were playing word games.

Passed How Many Bills?

Bush: He introduced some 300 bills and he's passed five.

Kerry: Once again, the president is misleading America. I've actually passed 56 individual bills that I've personally written and, in addition to that, and not always under my name, there is (sic) amendments on certain bills.
Bush: "passed five"

When Bush said Kerry "passed five" bills, he was counting five bills Kerry authored that passed the Senate, the House, were signed by the president, and became law.

That's technically accurate but omits six other pieces of Kerry legislation that have become law.

The Bush campaign's backup lists five bills, which we verified:

S.791: Authorizes $53 million over four years to provide grants to woman-owned small businesses. (1999)
S.1206: Names a federal building in Waltham, Massachusetts after Frederick C. Murphy, who was killed in action during World War II and awarded (posthumously) the Medal of Honor. (1994)
S.1636: A save-the-dolphins measure aiming “to improve the program to reduce the incidental taking of marine mammals during the course of commercial fishing operations.” (1994)
S.1563: Funding the National Sea Grant College Program, which supports university-based research, public education, and other projects “to promote better understanding, conservation and use of America’s coastal resources.” (1991)
S.423: Granting a visa and admission to the U.S. as a permanent resident to Kil Joon Yu Callahan. (1987)

The Bush campaign left out two bills authored by Kerry which passed the Senate and later became law in a slightly different form approved by the House, under the same titles and mostly same substance. (This occurs when House and Senate versions differ so slightly that one house adopts the other's version rather than go to the trouble of a House-Senate conference to work out a compromise.) The citations were provided by the Kerry campaign, and we verified them:

H.R.1900 (S.300): Awarded a congressional gold medal to Jackie Robinson (posthumously), and called for a national day of recognition. (2003)
H.R.1860 (S.856): Increased the maximum research grants for small businesses from $500,000 to $750,000 under the Small Business Technology Transfer Program. (2001)

In a related article in January we quoted an Associated Press article that turned up only eight laws that bear Kerry's name. The AP's count omits these two House measures which technically don't bear Kerry's name and a private law (S.423) granting a visa and permanent residency to Kil Joon Yu Callahan that we are including in our count of 11.

I'd say a huge refund is in order. If that's all I could accomplish in 20 years, I'd be fired, as would most of us. A more interesting question would be, "What in hell HAVE you been doing for 20 years? It obviously wasn't being a senator."

MissileMan said:
I'd say a huge refund is in order. If that's all I could accomplish in 20 years, I'd be fired, as would most of us. A more interesting question would be, "What in hell HAVE you been doing for 20 years? It obviously wasn't being a senator."

he has been marrying his dead colleagues wife for money and spending his fortune.

MissileMan said:

You guys do realize he is 1 of a hundred? He's not a king. There is a process for things to get accomplished and it's not easy. How hard he works and how many bills he passes are not directly correlated.

MJDuncan1982 said:
You guys do realize he is 1 of a hundred? He's not a king. There is a process for things to get accomplished and it's not easy. How hard he works and how many bills he passes are not directly correlated.

You're right, I forgot he WAS hard at work trying to cut funding on intelligence and defense! :teeth:

MJDuncan1982 said:

Sure I can see that. But you have to admit, 11 in 20-some years is pretty slim by any standard.

MJDuncan1982 said:
Well, regardless of how many bills he has personally written and passed, and whether that translates to him working hard or not, it does not excuse the fact that he doesn't bother to show up to and vote for other's bills and important issues. That is part of being a senator too, and he was absent for 75% of votes, many of which were some important issues.

MJDuncan1982 said:
A good standard would be the average for one year a senator passes. Anyone have that data?

I'm curious about this as well. I haven't found anything, but I did come across one little tid bit. Apparently John Edwards has had ZERO bills with his name passed into law. I also found Kerry's five:

A Bill To Amend The Small Business Act With Respect To The Women's Business Center Program.

A Bill To Redesignate The Federal Building Located At 380 Trapelo Road In Waltham, Massachusetts, As The "Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center." (yes, our long national nightmare was finally over)

A Bill To Authorize Appropriations For The Marine Mammal Protection Act Of 1972 And To Improve The Program To Reduce The Incidental Taking Of Marine Mammals During The Course Of Commercial Fishing Operations, And For Other Purposes. (whew)

A Bill To Authorize Appropriations To Carry Out The National Sea Grant College Program Act, And For Other Purposes.

A Bill For The Relief Of Kil Joon Yu Callahan.

that's actually a good question. its easy to rip someone on this low number, but what's the average amount of bill passing a senator does? by year would be best.

Well I went to the site and its hard to decipher. Looks like the Senate, tho, has a whooooooooole lot on its plate every single day.

The exact number is 5 bills that have been signed into law by a president. The other bills have made it through congress, but no further !

MJDuncan1982 said:

vision or desire to not authorize or sponsor more bills. Does the senator not have some idea of WHY he's in government other than a job.. No it's quite telling about what he would DO as President i.e. little or nothing.. He has no real agenda or vision of what he wants for government.. An empty liberal suit...

I am not aware of the exact number of bills that a senator passes per year. However, according to Kerry, he has passed a total of 56 bills, of which 5 he personally wrote, and 51 he co-wrote. This equates to about 2.8 bills per year total, and .25 per year that he actually wrote himself, with 2.55 of those being ones he co-wrote.

If, of those 2.8 per year, he spent that entire year working extremely hard on those bills, then I can respect that. If this is why he has been absent from 75% of votes, then I can understand to some degree. However, I highly doubt that 2.8 bill per year requires that much work as to keep you from doing the other important part of your job, and that is to vote. When Kerry has actually shown up to vote, he has voted to weaken national secutiry, voted to weaken our military, by voting against improved and new weapon systems, he has voted for killing babies, he voted against charging someone with two murders if they kill a pregnant woman, etc.

phadras said:
vision or desire to not authorize or sponsor more bills. Does the senator not have some idea of WHY he's in government other than a job.. No it's quite telling about what he would DO as President i.e. little or nothing.. He has no real agenda or vision of what he wants for government.. An empty liberal suit...

Exactly.

He's also an empty military suit, an empty Catholic suit, an empty married suit, an empty American suit.

This man stands for nothing.

He wants for the UN to stand for him.

Forum List

Back