Another day - another Solyndra

It's another ECHO CHAMBER circle jerk. How refreshing.

For another side to the story of energy and presidential vision vis a vis myopia read:

Where Did the Carter White House's Solar Panels Go?: Scientific American

Not that I expect any of the willfully ignorant partisans above to read anything which may challenge their opinion;, we can at least hope that the curious and hence more intelligent USMB members will.

And those curious as to other energy issues beyond "drill baby drill" here's an article on two new Nuclear Power Plants:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/news/economy/nuclear_reactors/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3

Last edited:
Gov. ROMNEY: Well, if people agree with the president, that things really are doing well in this country, that we're on the right track, then they ought to vote for him. But I'm here in Florida, the people I've talked to here have lost homes, lost jobs, 18 percent of the people in this state are either out of work or underemployed, 18 percent, one out of five people almost. He is completely detached from the reality of what's happening in America. And his prescription, that somehow we need to find someone to blame, whether it's the bankers or people who make a lot of money, we've got to find someone to blame. Look, the leadership that's associated with the presidency suggests that he is the place and his desk is the place where the buck is to stop. And his policies have failed the American people. His--he has raised taxes on corporations, he's increased regulation, he's made it more difficult to get energy, and he's practiced crony capitalism. Those are the reasons it's been hard for this economy to turn around.

KUDLOW: I want to come back to crony capitalism, but I just want to ask, do you think, if you get the nomination and you run against President Obama, is free market capitalism and the free enterprise system going to be one of the very main issues? Is it, we're just going to have it out? Is that what you want to do? It's been in your speeches, it's been in your debate summaries, just let's have it out. Obama says 1 percent vs. 99 percent, class warfare and envy. You say no, we want success, we want free enterprise. Is that what this election is going to be about?

Gov. ROMNEY: I think you hit the nail on the head. This is an election about what is the course for America? What is the soul of America going to be? Are we going to be a nation which is led by government? As Mitch Daniels said last night, the trickle down government, is that what we want? Bigger and bigger government taking the larger and larger slice of America, depressing the opportunity for success in America, supplanting ambition with envy. Is that the kind of America we're going to have? That's the kind of America President Obama is creating. Or are we going to return to the principles of economic freedom and opportunity and free enterprise that has build the most--built the most powerful nation in the history of the Earth? I take the latter course. That's what I want to return to. I want those principles to work for the American people. Not because I want the rich to get richer. The rich are doing fine. I'm not worried about the 1 percent. I'm worried about the 99 percent. I want to help the 99 percent. But you don't help the 99 percent by attacking and creating warfare on the 1 percent.

KUDLOW: And how does the cronyism play into that? You've come out, you had a very good summary in one of your debates about cronyism, cronyism and insiderism in Washington.

Gov. ROMNEY: Yes.

KUDLOW: Special favors and carve-outs for either big business or big labor or big environmentalists. How does that play in to economic growth and your critique against Mr. Obama?

Gov. ROMNEY: Well, take a look at his investment in a company like Solyndra. He--we know it failed. But let's say it hadn't failed. Here's the rest of the story. There must've been 100 different solar energy entrepreneurs in the country trying to get capital to start their ideas and see which one might be best. The president chose one, Solyndra, gave them $500 million. Guess what happened to the other 99 when that happened? The other guys that were out looking for investment couldn't get it because all their investors looked and said, `The government's already picked the winner. How can we give you 1 or $2 million to pursue your solar idea when the government has chosen their winner?' The president playing venture capitalist kills the capacity of other entrepreneurs in the entire economy to create their visions and to build enterprises. The idea of government picking winners and losers kills the ability of the private sector to create the best ideas.
News Headlines

"The other guys that were out looking for investment couldn't get it because all their investors looked and said, `The government's already picked the winner. How can we give you 1 or $2 million to pursue your solar idea when the government has chosen their winner?' The president playing venture capitalist kills the capacity of other entrepreneurs in the entire economy to create their visions and to build enterprises."

Is Romney's opinion reality, or political hyperbole? Are we really to believe because Solyndra received government largess and xyz solar did not doomed xyz?

That's patently absurd; if xyz has a good business plan they will attract investors and obtain a line of credit from banking institutions; not every start up needs half a billion dollars - some start ups began in the garage of their parents and have done very well.

Others engaged in solar, wind and other renewal energy development include Chevron, Exxon-Mobil, etc. and their "... long-term business model is threatened by the rise of renewable energy, especially as governments worldwide offer grants and subsidies to renewable energy companies. However, Chevron is one of the few oil majors that has embraced the possibility of a renewable future, and it is actively involved in pursuing alternative energy solutions."

Link to quote: Stock:Chevron Corporation (CVX))

Whose interests does Romney have in his mind and soul? Cheveron and Exxon-Mobil or the 99% of Americans. I believe the answer is obvious. Like Reagan, Romney is worried that his base (the 1%) will 'suffer' and he actually believes in Voodoo economics.

For another side to the story of energy and presidential vision vis a vis myopia read:

Not that I expect any of the willfully ignorant partisans above to read anything which may challenge their opinion;, we can at least hope that the curious and hence more intelligent USMB members will.

And those curious as to other energy issues beyond "drill baby drill" here's an article on two new Nuclear Power Plants:

New nuclear reactors set to be OK'd for Georgia - Feb. 8, 2012
Your desperate attempt at deflection is noted and discarded as worthless.

Well wry - this partisan hack read the Carter article. Do you honestly believe that "Republicans" are against clean energy and for dependence on foreign oil? This Republican would love to see more solar energy and wind farms. But that's not what this thread is about.

Jimmy Carter is old news. Obama is president now.

The DOE has been handing out taxpayer money like candy to political friends. If any one of these companies were successful, I'd applaud them.

I've yet to read about a success story. Have any?

Well wry - this partisan hack read the Carter article. Do you honestly believe that "Republicans" are against clean energy and for dependence on foreign oil? This Republican would love to see more solar energy and wind farms. But that's not what this thread is about.

The DOE has been handing out taxpayer money like candy to political friends. If any one of these companies were successful, I'd applaud them.

Do I believe ALL republicans are against clean energy and for dependence on foreign oil? Of course not. I do believe those with a vested interested in oil and coal are threatened by the green movement and use their money and power to influence policy in Washington. Do start ups in the renewable energy have the funds to influence decision makers? Possibly, but how much in comparison Chevron, Exxon-Mobil and the other big oil companies?

Having personally respond to Federal RFP's and successfully written grants I can assure you that the grants my agency received were not handed out like candy because someone in my agency was friends with the federal decision makers. Anyone who has read an RFP knows how detailed their responses must be and understand that the use of funds will be monitored.

I'm surprised that a teacher believes grants are given out like candy. Having collaborated with local school districts on two grants I know that most districts seek to enhance their programs with federal dollars.

No I do not believe all grants are handed out like candy, but many are given to political alies. I am certain that many grant writers have "friends" advising them.

But this thread is specifically about the Dept. of Energy, who I believe is now under investigation. The truth will come out eventually. Of course, the MSM may not cover it. We might have to learn it from Michelle Malkin. :eek:

And I heard some reports of another one in CA this morning that has Government Money already spent and can't build now because of some sacred burial ground......

why yes, the first 2 since what, 1978? great!!thank you big daddy gubermint!!!

and in a red state...wtf!!??!!!:evil:

:lol:

and, what is the purpose of this link please?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carter-white-house-solar-panel-array

Best to be careful here. The IRS nearly put Willie Nelson in the poor house because of the taxes they charged him on his homemade gasoline for the Honeysuckle rose..........

businesses in a fledgling sector are likely to fail. But those failures might lead to genuinely successful businesses, if lessons are learned. considering the bank bailout, those losses are small.

1) Energy loan guarantees are estimated to now cost 2billion less then originally thought

2) The government is not expected to lose any money from Solyndra and other failed companies because the government will get their assets

3) Around 2% of energy loan guarantees fail. This is more then 10 times less then the amount of private loans that fail

4) Furthermore the government program creates 4 dollars in benefits for every dollar spent, and has created over 50,000 jobs.

Oh yes, the GOP is sooo...... much interested in seeing clean energy succeed. Checked the length of your nose lately, Channel?

The GOP is committed to oil companies and dirty coal.

The success story of wind, 2 gw to 46 gw in 12 years.

Wind Powering America: U.S. Installed Wind Capacity

The steep drop in the price of solar is creating a booming market

Solar Installations Surge To Record High In Last Months Of 2011 | Solar Energy USA

Imagine 20% to 25% of homeowners providing the power not only for their homes, but also for their vehicles. The horrer, depriving the moguls of enegy of thier pint of blood.

This is the main thrust of the GOPs hatred of alternative energy. It comes in smaller packets that lets the home owner, small and medium sized business in on the game.

Forum List

Back