• Animals are to be used for the benefit of humans, nothing more

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • If an animal is inconvenient to people, it should be exterminated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DarkLion

Rookie
Apr 7, 2013
How important is animal life to an ever increasingly technological and populated world?

Last edited:
Depends what animals you refer to, but I believe they are equal to human life - when speaking of cats and dogs, specifically.

Depends what animals you refer to, but I believe they are equal to human life - when speaking of cats and dogs, specifically.

So...are you suggesting we eat humans as we eat animals? :confused:

• Banned

Too true. But I'm talking about all animals, not individuals but whole species, especially wild ones. The inspiration for this thread comes from a discussion I was recently having with friends about bears in my area coming in backyards and eating from trash bins. Someone said "we should just kill all the bears"

While that was certainly appalling to me, what was even more appalling was that no one in my little group other than myself took exception with such a comment.

So many people see animals as something to be used if useful, and exterminated if inconvenient. I feel that, as a whole, animals are more valuable than people, because each one fits within the ecosystem it lives in. Kill off one or two species and the whole thing falls like a house of cards. Humans on the other hand, could leave an area and never be missed.

I remember long ago in science class studying 'the web of life.' Yes, animals are important for our survival and the survival of the natural environment of the Earth, which is essential our our survival. We are all linked together.

In some ways animals are superior to humans. My pitbulls have taken over my bed and are pretending to be in a coma as I write this. I have to figure out a way to get them to move so I can get some sleep. As of now I am stuck on the computer and THEY are enjoying some comfotable rest. I also need some rest. I am getting tred. I need to act decisively. 200 lbs of pitbull is formidable. These dogs are not to be trifled with.

In some ways animals are superior to humans. My pitbulls have taken over my bed and are pretending to be in a coma as I write this. I have to figure out a way to get them to move so I can get some sleep. As of now I am stuck on the computer and THEY are enjoying some comfotable rest. I also need some rest. I am getting tred. I need to act decisively. 200 lbs of pitbull is formidable. These dogs are not to be trifled with.

Pitts are awesome. Fantastic dogs. I remember when my lady used to snooze right next to me. But I never made her move, she was my equal in all things. I miss her.

Dogs take a part of you with them.

As an evil free market conservative I do not think for one second that animals are superior or equal to humankind. I don't believe in animal rights. I do believe however that people have obligations. I believe in killing animals for food just as other animals kill for food but I don't believe animals should be killed just for sport and fun. I think on a moral level, animals are very important. If not for our pets we would be more self absorbed and less ethical. Animals feed the better sides of our nature. For those who want to kill animals for fun or simple convenience should be bitch slapped... and often.

Last edited:

Really?

So if you had to choose between the life of your daughter and the life of your cat, you might choose to save the later?

As an evil free market conservative I do not think for one second that animals are superior or equal to humankind. I don't believe in animal rights. I do believe however that people have obligations. I believe in killing animals for food just as other animals kill for food but I don't believe animals should be killed just for sport and fun. I think on a moral level, animals are very important. If not for our pets we would be more self absorbed and less ethical. Animals feed the better sides of our nature. For those who want to kill animals for fun or simple convenience should be bitch slapped... and often.

Animals, indeed the whole of the ecological system on this small planet, are very important to we humans. Often we take actions concerning one part of the ecological system without the knowledge of what we are doing. On my first trip into the arctic, I was serving as mobile buffet to the local mosquitoes, and stated my disdain for their existance. Someone a bit older and more knowledgable straightened me out right away. Pointed out that the mosquitoes are the primary pollinating insect in the arctic.

While I don't regard animals as equal to humans on an individual basis, I do regard their continued existance as essential to human life. We do not yet understand the whole of the interconnectedness of the web of life. And careless action, whether with chemicals, creating a rapid climate change, or simply extermination, through overuse, such as the fisheries, or through habitat reduction, may change that web in a way that is inimical to our continued existance at the level we now enjoy.

One thing sure, failing to act as good stewards to this wonderful planet that has produced us, the first technological species on it, will have very detrimental effects to our existance.

Really?

So if you had to choose between the life of your daughter and the life of your cat, you might choose to save the later?

No, but if it was a choice between Ol' Squeak and your life, I would have to ponder the choice. And it is 'latter', not later.

Humans ARE animals but we need them more than they need us.

In fact, they don't need us at all. The best thing that could happen to non-human animals is if we wiped ourselves out.

Don't bother saying that "food" animals or domestic animals would go extinct. Both are man-made but both would survive in some form.

The only animals that overpopulate are humans and the animals that humans control.

Really?

No, but if it was a choice between Ol' Squeak and your life, I would have to ponder the choice. And it is 'latter', not later.

Seriously, there are a lot of humans I would cheerfully throw off the island in favor of saving an individual animal.

Really?

Suppose it was a choice between your daughter and your son?

That's the real choice. Putting the decision between the life of a beloved family member and a democrat is a no-brainer. If it was the choice of my dog and the presidebt, well..... I'd die for my dog.

I usually avoid feel good videos with the depth and persistence of my evil hardened conservative heart but this one got to me. Is there any doubt that animals improve our lives immensely?[ame=http://youtu.be/9vXHfF7ZySg]Woman Finds Her Dog after the Tornado - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back