Animal Cruelty - What to do?

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Yesterday my nephew and I were in my bedroom, which is on the second floor and overlooks my neighbors yard. Our neighbors have a sweet german shepard that is about 5 months old and named "Sparky". Sparky was sitting out in the yard, soaking up the sun when we saw the owner of the home come out into the backyard. He bent over, picked up a piece of metal and threw it at Sparky and hit him in the leg. Sparky started yelping loudly and blood was going all over the place. Now it isn't like the dog was doing anything, he was just sit'n there.

The owner went inside and about 20 minutes later, he came out with a towel. Sparky was still yelping, bleeding and limping all over the yard in obvious pain. The guy started wiping the blood on the leg and looking at it and then he took Sparky and left. Today I see Sparky again in the yard, laying on the grass, soaking up the sun, but now he has a big cast on his leg. He looks soooo sad.

We are moving next week and I am thinking of "dog-napping" Sparky. Reporting the neighbor won't do any good, cuz he will just deny it and I will just be accused of making trouble.

Should I dognap Sparky and take him to our new home?

Personally, as illegal as it is... If I knew there was no chance of me getting caught, I'd steal him...

In a more likely scenario, I'd be going to jail for assault & battery, because I'd have let loose as soon as I saw him hit the dog.

freeandfun1 said:
.Should I dognap Sparky and take him to our new home?
I didn't read the details because I know they'd upset me. But if you are willing to take the dog, even if you want to find another home for him, I vote you take him. I realize animals were created for man, but I don't believe in cruelity.

Just get the dog away from that dude---you pick what method will work best from you but that fucker needs to be separated from Sparky. I'd call the cops--in Austin he'd be jailed.

dilloduck said:
Just get the dog away from that dude---you pick what method will work best from you but that fucker needs to be separated from Sparky. I'd call the cops--in Austin he'd be jailed.

He'd be jailed here too, but likely, they would consider it a "my word against his word" situation.

I will take him when I leave. I just can't imagine leaving him here. I will keep my eye on him until then.....

freeandfun1 said:
He'd be jailed here too, but likely, they would consider it a "my word against his word" situation.

I will take him when I leave. I just can't imagine leaving him here. I will keep my eye on him until then.....

You're a good man! :rock:

freeandfun1 said:

You know...
If you call animal control on him they will at the least, take the dog away
from him and give him a fine. I would try that first.Then you can dognap
him if it doesn't work. You better hope they don't have one of them
microchips in him.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
You know...
If you call animal control on him they will at the least, take the dog away
from him and give him a fine. I would try that first.Then you can dognap
him if it doesn't work. You better hope they don't have one of them
microchips in him.

Good point. Plus, I was thinking, I will have to take him to the vet to have him checked out. It will be my luck I will take him to the same vet he used!

freeandfun1 said:
Yesterday my nephew and I were in my bedroom, which is on the second floor and overlooks my neighbors yard. Our neighbors have a sweet german shepard that is about 5 months old and named "Sparky". Sparky was sitting out in the yard, soaking up the sun when we saw the owner of the home come out into the backyard. He bent over, picked up a piece of metal and threw it at Sparky and hit him in the leg. Sparky started yelping loudly and blood was going all over the place. Now it isn't like the dog was doing anything, he was just sit'n there.

The owner went inside and about 20 minutes later, he came out with a towel. Sparky was still yelping, bleeding and limping all over the yard in obvious pain. The guy started wiping the blood on the leg and looking at it and then he took Sparky and left. Today I see Sparky again in the yard, laying on the grass, soaking up the sun, but now he has a big cast on his leg. He looks soooo sad.

We are moving next week and I am thinking of "dog-napping" Sparky. Reporting the neighbor won't do any good, cuz he will just deny it and I will just be accused of making trouble.

If you can without getting caught then yes get the poor animal out of there, otherwise reporting the incident is the only thing you can do. However lying about it won't get him off, there is clear evidence of the injury and he would need to explain that as well.

freeandfun1 said:
Good point. Plus, I was thinking, I will have to take him to the vet to have him checked out. It will be my luck I will take him to the same vet he used!
Your best bet is to make the call to animal control.
If they take the dog you can adopt it and find it a better home, the legal way.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Your best bet is to make the call to animal control.
If they take the dog you can adopt it and find it a better home, the legal way.

If you are worried about the chip check to see if the dog is nuetered, if it isn't nuetered or spayed it has yet to have the chip implanted.

no1tovote4 said:
If you are worried about the chip check to see if the dog is nuetered, if it isn't nuetered or spayed it has yet to have the chip implanted.
Not so...
That's a Colorado requirement,
might not be the same there.
Plus if you breed dogs here you can pay extra to have your dog
chipped without fixing them.

Well I would hate to think it might happen again, but is there any chance you could video the guy doing something like this to his dog.

Personally I would like to bash him in the leg with a metal pipe and leave him in the backyard to fend for himself and see how he likes it, the son-of-bitch!

MtnBiker said:
Well I would hate to think it might happen again, but is there any chance you could video the guy doing something like this to his dog.

Personally I would like to bash him in the leg with a metal pipe and leave him in the backyard to fend for himself and see how he likes it, the son-of-bitch!
Well you shouldn't have to with another witness (nephew).
and the injury, maybe you could "aquire" the peice of metal,
Might have some of Sparky's blood on it.

my answer is this,

i would do what you would do if you saw him do that to his child...no more no less...

taking the dog will only result in another dog suffering the same fate

I would say go for taking the dog,but if he has a chip,I wouldn't want you in legal trouble. One has to wonder is a son of a bitch like that even takes the time and money to put a chip in his dog.I would call someone first,if they take him,you can go down and re adopt him. If not go for the "rescue". He's lucky he's not my neighbor,I would have been going apeshit on his ass!!!!!!! I can't stand this kind of stuff!! Good for you for being concerned enough to do something.

freeandfun1 said:

I too would favor getting sparky out of harms way.....but for the fact that the sob would just get another dog and treat it just as cruelly. Do you know the neighbor, would it do any good to speak to them, is there any animal protection group in your area. Since you have taken it upon yourself to care now you have to do something.....good luck.

Forum List

Back