and this is why we don't trust ant gunners with mental health information....

Dude, the gun buffs are the sane ones in this discussion. You want to have a guy labeled as legally insane, based solely on a claim by his girlfriend and ignoring the testimony of a medical professional. You call THAT rational?

The doctor said he was fine. You push for gun owners to have psych evals. This guy had one.

A doc said that the lady who hung her 3 year old was fine.

I'd put more faith in the person who lives with him every day and was willing to call the cops because she thought he was suicidal.

Oh, so in this argument the one who lives with him knows him. But in a previous argument a gun store clerk was supposed to provide a medical diagnosis. Hypocrisy thy name is JoeyB.

No, the girlfriend is not a medical professional and cannot permanently remove his rights based on a single statement to a cop. That is simply not how it works.

And JoeyB, it is obvious that you don't require rational or logical reasons for your claims. You simply hate gun owners. We get it.
and Christians, and cops, and family values, and business owners, and the working poor.

But he makes up for it, with his love of the federal government, and criminals, and unions.

and Christians, and cops, and family values, and business owners, and the working poor.

But he makes up for it, with his love of the federal government, and criminals, and unions.

When did not wanting cops to shoot unarmed kids become "hating cops". I have cops in my family.

And being a business owner myself, I don't hate business. I just don't think they should cheat their workers and customers. What a crazy thought that is.

The working poor are working poor because big corporations you love are screwing them. I'm sorry you are too dumb to figure that one out.

But as long as they gots their guns and their bibles, everything is good, right?

Uh, you realize your bullshit sounds pretty crazy to a lot of people too, right? Is that really how you want things to work?

I'm not looking to own a gun, so no. And no one close to me has thought I was crazy enough to ever call the cops.

I'm talking about the general idea that subjective opinions about sanity should be used as arbitrary justification for stripping someone's rights. Do you have any rights that you DO value? Would you object to those rights being taken away because your ex-wife told the cops you were nuts?

I'm talking about the general idea that subjective opinions about sanity should be used as arbitrary justification for stripping someone's rights. Do you have any rights that you DO value? Would you object to those rights being taken away because your ex-wife told the cops you were nuts?

It wasn't his ex-wife. It was his current live-in girlfriend. someone who felt concerned enough about his behavior to call the cops to start with.

I wonder what would have happened if someone had made a "subjective opinion' about Cho or Loughner or Holmes or Lanza before they excercised their God-Given right to a gun.

It wasn't his ex-wife. It was ...

You're not really fluent with conceptual reasoning, are you?

Taking his guns for a while sure beats this ending.
Deadly Menasha shooting marks end of innocence

Of course it is. The operative words being "for a while". According to the article the police have no intention of returning this man's firearms.

It should really be till they are certain he is ok. I would think he could get them back in court if he is in fact ok.

So he cooperates with the police, and loses his personal property (worth at least hundreds of dollars, if not thousands). I submits to a medical and psychological evaluations, is released from the hospital, and now he has to hire a lawyer to get back his property?? How is that even remotely right?

Once the medical professionals pronounced him fit to leave, there was no reason for his belongings to be kept.

How much should he be expected to pay to regain possession of his personal property? $1,000? $10,000?

Of course it is. The operative words being "for a while". According to the article the police have no intention of returning this man's firearms.

It should really be till they are certain he is ok. I would think he could get them back in court if he is in fact ok.

So he cooperates with the police, and loses his personal property (worth at least hundreds of dollars, if not thousands). I submits to a medical and psychological evaluations, is released from the hospital, and now he has to hire a lawyer to get back his property?? How is that even remotely right?

Once the medical professionals pronounced him fit to leave, there was no reason for his belongings to be kept.

How much should he be expected to pay to regain possession of his personal property? $1,000? $10,000?

I agree after he is cleared they should be returned. Being without his guns for a time really isn't a tragedy. The tragedy would have been what he might have done with them. See WI tragedy.

Keep in mind that by far the most likely person to be shot by his gun is himself. I believe the police had very good intentions.

Also does anyone think a doctor can mentally clear him in what sounds like a day? At least I assume it would be mentioned if it took any real amount of time. Veterans have a high suicide rate so its easy to understand extra caution.

And the responses from the usual gun grabbers shows why we can't trust them with our mental health records for background checks......

So the completely sane guy should have to pay to get his guns back?
I thought liberals were against this sort of police action?
White guys guns matter....

Keep in mind that by far the most likely person to be shot by his gun is himself. I believe the police had very good intentions.

No brain...that is not true.....that is an anti gun lie that they use to scare people...

I would think there should be some time period max where they can hold them. For instance 30 days then they have to be returned. I can only find info on this event from gun sites and those always leave off parts of the story. So there is probably much we do not know.

No brain...that is not true.....that is an anti gun lie that they use to scare people...

How is that a lie? About 20,000 gun suicides each year. Who is more likely to be shot by that gun if not the owner? Especially since he is suicidal according to his girlfriend.

I would think there should be some time period max where they can hold them. For instance 30 days then they have to be returned. I can only find info on this event from gun sites and those always leave off parts of the story. So there is probably much we do not know.

I had a .22 rifle taken from me in my teens while out plinking and it was never returned.
The only reason I didnt pitch a bitch is the gun was an old bolt gun that wasnt worth anything.
So no they dont give them back.

I had a .22 rifle taken from me in my teens while out plinking and it was never returned.
The only reason I didnt pitch a bitch is the gun was an old bolt gun that wasnt worth anything.
So no they dont give them back.

Well I'm saying they should at some point. I would think they have to have some procedure about it that we don't know.

Forum List

Back