Debate Now Anarchy: What is it, what is it not?

LOL claiming that anarchy can fight the vacuum it creates and allows for strong men to take control is hilarious. Exactly how do those opposed know who they are? How do they organize if you have anarchy? How do they know which of the other none organized among them agree with them? I thought anarchy was the absence of Government absence of rules and order, absence of shared mores and societal views? I mean anarchy means everyone can do as they please right? No need to follow any rules or obey any laws since there are none. And when Joe decides he wants Frank"s things and takes them exactly who does Frank go to for redress?

I thought anarchy was the absence of Government absence of rules and order, absence of shared mores and societal views? I mean anarchy means everyone can do as they please right? No need to follow any rules or obey any laws since there are none. And when Joe decides he wants Frank"s things and takes them exactly who does Frank go to for redress?
Anarchy doesn't necessarily mean no rules, it means no rulers.

I thought anarchy was the absence of Government absence of rules and order, absence of shared mores and societal views? I mean anarchy means everyone can do as they please right? No need to follow any rules or obey any laws since there are none. And when Joe decides he wants Frank"s things and takes them exactly who does Frank go to for redress?
1,237th definition?

ok

1,237th definition?

ok
Primary.

Any time an authoritarian defines anarchy, it's all about chaos and mayhem.

When an anarchist defines anarchy, you're likely to find words like self-discipline and mutual respect.

The internet backbone was developed anarchistically, to large degree.
Nope. Not true

The complete takeover of the Internet as the pipeline of global communications unfolded organically and spontaneously, relative to our national highway system or the State's role in bringing electricity to rural U.S of A.

That should be the story we tell our kids when they ask who invented the Internet. Yes, we should tell them about the long-view government spending that paid the initial salaries, and the entrepreneurs who figured out a way to make the new medium commercially viable. But we shouldn’t bury the lead. The Internet was built, first and foremost, by another network, this one made up not of servers but of human minds: open, decentralized, peer.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/magazine/the-internet-we-built-that.html?referer=

The internet backbone was developed anarchistically, to large degree.
Nope. Not true
Steph
The complete takeover of the Internet as the pipeline of global communications unfolded organically and spontaneously, relative to our national highway system or the State's role in bringing electricity to rural U.S of A.

That should be the story we tell our kids when they ask who invented the Internet. Yes, we should tell them about the long-view government spending that paid the initial salaries, and the entrepreneurs who figured out a way to make the new medium commercially viable. But we shouldn’t bury the lead. The Internet was built, first and foremost, by another network, this one made up not of servers but of human minds: open, decentralized, peer.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/magazine/the-internet-we-built-that.html?referer=
You don't know what YOU are talking about.

now,
Steven is a smart man and a good writer. He studied semiotics/media/culture at Brown? Yep, Brown (his masters was Columbia Eng Lit).

To me always seemed a bit old to be claiming to speak for the generation that actually grew up with the WEB, not the NET. Even with the NET he was no child. Reminds me of all those old guys at universities that are lifetime students claiming to be part of a new youth culture

Steven has his theories. They are nice and neatly packaged. But they are built on skewed opinions more than on data or research

Xerox and Apple. What did they have to do with the internet? Well really Apple became a company that developed products that surfed the web. The web that was built on the net. Steven, poor Steven..appealing to the authority of...

Credit for the early networking innovations, Crovitz argued, belonged to private-sector companies like Xerox and Apple. It was no accident, he observed, that the Net languished in relative obscurity for two decades until private corporations and venture capitalists turned their focus to it.​

Some amazing conversations going on in here...I think I'll just read and stay out of the way for now. :)

The sport of surfing is a good example of a thriving anarchist community. Nobody built the breaks. There's no rules written down and no referees. No commissioner. The codes are all implied. Cut someone off and get heckled. Natural consequences.

The sport of surfing is a good example of a thriving anarchist community. Nobody built the breaks. There's no rules written down and no referees. No commissioner. The codes are all implied. Cut someone off and get heckled. Natural consequences.
The net. The first bulletin boards. precursors to message boards, showed everyone's IP address. The anarchists were the ones looking to get around things by using proxies. They were mostly nasty and sometimes vicious trolls seeking to remain anonymous while everyone else were known entities in a community of sharedness

talk to people who ran and owned the old boards

With the web, we got browsers. Competing browsers had different standards for coding. People gt together to insist on standards so ... now we have web 2.0. With anarchy there would be no web

The simple unadulterated fact is that any group of people over more then a few dozen at most that attempts to operate as in anarchy for their NON GOVERNMENT will result in chaos mayhem and the strongest dictating to the majority who and what gets what and when. And no organized resistance will occur until someone CREATES a type of Government to run everything.

The net. The first bulletin boards. precursors to message boards, showed everyone's IP address. The anarchists were the ones looking to get around things by using proxies. They were mostly nasty and sometimes vicious trolls seeking to remain anonymous while everyone else were known entities in a community of sharedness

talk to people who ran and owned the old boards

With the web, we got browsers. Competing browsers had different standards for coding. People gt together to insist on standards so ... now we have web 2.0. With anarchy there would be no web
No rulers though. Spontaneous organization, but no rulers.

Forum List

Back