Anarchists and libertarians - Please click here

Are you an Anarchist or political Libertarian?

• Total voters
They aren't.

I did qualify it with a "to me"

Same basic concept, same guaranteed end results.

It is not the same basic concept. Libertarians have never lobbied for an absence of any and all authority.

"Big L" libertarians lobby often for such a husk of a federal government (and sometimes State governments) that you might not get de jure anarchy, but you would end up with it de facto.

That's not exactly how we CHOSE the two 2 term State Governors to BE our 2016 candidates. BOTH these guy worked to keep their respective states from making the same mistakes that is now bankrupting others. THey contributed GREATLY to keeping those states out of budget and fiscal crisis for the future.

They were WELL LIKED for being fiscally responsible. Not for "husking" their states.

Which ones?

I want to see if they are Libertarians or libertarians.

I was talking about Gary Johnson of N. Mexico and William Weld of Massachusetts. THAT's who we offered America as alternatives to the 2 narcissistic Meglo power whore "winners". They brought humble and tolerant to an election that will be famous for arrogant and divisive.

I once thought I was libertarian. Then I went to a few meetings of the libertarians and thought they all sounded like goddamn morons. So, I figured it wasn't really rational to think that I was doing it correctly, and all of them were doing it wrong... so I decided I was not a libertarian, and that libertarianism is fucking dumb.

I tried, at least. :dunno:

So where are you on the spectrum now?
I would fall left of center, but not by a whole lot. I do like classical liberalism (supposedly the foundation of libertarianism, no?), but I do think it is correct to petition our government to ensure not just the simple individual rights of existence and possession, but also of quality of life. I do think we should have publicly funded education, healthcare, and elections. I think our espousal of capitalism generates more than enough wealth to accomplish these things that I feel are the very basics of human existence. I believe every human has a right to the basics of food shelter, and healthcare, and education.

So, call me a libertarian that doesn't hate government, but also does not "trust" government any more than I trust the people who invent and reinvent it every day. I believe in the rule of law, and I do not believe in thought crimes. I think suppression of terrible opinions neuters our society and removes our tools for meeting bad ideas head on with better ideas.

So, you tell me... what am I?

Not sure. I'm only qualified to tell you whether you're an anarchist or not. You're not. Hahaha

I only see one important distinction - do you respect the inherent natural law liberty of mankind, or do you not. If you do, you must be in opposition to any government that has rights which differ from that of the individual. If not, then you support an inequality of rights, which I see no valid basis in reality to suppose.

It is not the same basic concept. Libertarians have never lobbied for an absence of any and all authority.

"Big L" libertarians lobby often for such a husk of a federal government (and sometimes State governments) that you might not get de jure anarchy, but you would end up with it de facto.

That's not exactly how we CHOSE the two 2 term State Governors to BE our 2016 candidates. BOTH these guy worked to keep their respective states from making the same mistakes that is now bankrupting others. THey contributed GREATLY to keeping those states out of budget and fiscal crisis for the future.

They were WELL LIKED for being fiscally responsible. Not for "husking" their states.

Which ones?

I was talking about Gary Johnson of N. Mexico and William Weld of Massachusetts. THAT's who we offered America as alternatives to the 2 narcissistic Meglo power whore "winners". They brought humble and tolerant to an election that will be famous for arrogant and divisive.

Ok then.

The issue is they didn't even really do anything in the election. We are too entrenched in a two party system currently.

I also wrote in my other response what you want can be dealt with on the local and state level
Irrelevant, what is at issue is YOUR opinion of it. So, even at the state and local level, you would vote against it.

Which puts us right back where we started:

It's okay of those kids suffer for the choices of others, but not for you. That's quite a special little ideology you have, there. Like Randism, but without the window dressing and heaping helping of faux-literary, romantic bullshit that Ayn Rand has plagued our libraries and minds with.

yet you have, when they make unconstrained arguments against a tax they do not, personally, prefer.

Give it time, you will see one show up here and make this case against taxes for education. "That is theft! Why should I pay for someone else's education!". And then another libertarian will say, "No, wait, that tax is fine, we need educated children."

So, which of the two above people is a TRUE libertarian? NEITHER. One is an anarchist, and one is a collectivist statist, in their positions. There is no "libertarian intellectual space" in that exchange.

But why is that tax fine, in libertarian ideology ? why is that part of the "acceptable minimum" (A very intentionally vague term that YOU just used as a get-out-of-jail-free card, intellectually). In the view of that colossal fraud Gary Johnson, these taxes are only really acceptable if we pour them into private, unregulated schools. I find that to be fucking nauseating. IOmagine, a self-styled "libertarian" actually SUPPORTING the idea of pouring taxes into private religious schools... letting our taxes sponsor religion... he's a fucking fraud.

"But why is that tax fine, in libertarian ideology ?" Tough to delineate, isn't it? Not for me... I am unfettered by these stupid "purity tests", and i have NO problem whatsoever saying that, yes, I believe we should FORCE you and everyone else to pay for a minimum standard of education for EVERY single child.

*cue half the libertarians hyperventilating into paper bags

And now we know why libertarians will always be intellectually confused and bereft, as a whole. They can't even stop arguing with themselves!
These types of disagreements happen within every party though.

They aren't.

Are you talking about Gary Johnson, he of the proposed burqa ban?

he kind of failed the purity test there, eh? He did recant though, as I recall.

Bad press coverage. He was correct that as a governor -- drivers license photos SHOULD be take "sans Burkha". It was the same bullshit for calling him a pothead for lending his govt experience to a pot coalition that was working on the SPECIFIC laws to determine how LEGAL weed work.

You know who is doing that EXACT SAME "pothead" job today??? Click below if ya dont..

John "hand me a tissue" Boehner :777:

Are you talking about Gary Johnson, he of the proposed burqa ban?

he kind of failed the purity test there, eh? He did recant though, as I recall.

Bad press coverage. He was correct that as a governor -- drivers license photos SHOULD be take "sans Burkha". It was the same bullshit for calling him a pothead for lending his govt experience to a pot coalition that was working on the SPECIFIC laws to determine how LEGAL weed work.

You know who is doing that EXACT SAME "pothead" job today??? Click below if ya dont..

John "hand me a tissue" Boehner :777:

Considering I am in favor of treating pot like Alcohol, i.e. let the States figure it out, your condescending tone is being wasted on me.

An argument against a tax one does not prefer is a not an argument for a complete dissolution of taxation.
It absolutely is, when it is unconstrained. You can see examples in this very thread.

"Why should I pay for someone else's choices?"

Choices... like, voting for public education? Like, voting for gas tax to fund roads? It is completely unconstrained, and it is usually the quality of argument one gets against specific taxes.

It is much harder to delineate why we should pay for one thing, and not for another. there will be no "objective truth" to be found there, and it is the intellectually lazy who pretend to "defer to a code", like liberalism... when really they are only deferring to their own fetishes and neuroses.

Anarchists are delusional and would abandon their idiotic ideology the moment it negatively affected them in any way... which would be, literally, immediately, were it ever implemented.
On this point, I agree.

Anarchy is impossible. The moment two people have a disagreement and cannot resolve it without help or violence...anarchy is then replaced by the State. Every time.

yet you have, when they make unconstrained arguments against a tax they do not, personally, prefer.

An argument against a tax one does not prefer is a not an argument for a complete dissolution of taxation.
A consumption tax was the goal of JohnsonWeld, but it couldn't happen overnite, nor do I think it would really work unless structured to allow low earners relief.

A consumption tax was the goal of JohnsonWeld, but it couldn't happen overnite, nor do I think it would really work unless structured to allow low earners relief.
It's not a horrible idea, but it has to be progressive. And Johnson just could never allow himself to admit this.

Hi everybody. I'm just trying to get a sense for how many people here are truly freedom-minded. Please vote to indicate your position, and feel free to elaborate, or bring up anything you'd like (or just vent your inevitable frustrations) in this thread! Thanks so much!

*note that I've made a distinction between full-on anarchists/voluntaryists, Libertarian party supporters, and other libertarians who condone some form of minimal government.

Hate to break the love, but the BIG L libertarians only started to make election progress by sending the anarchists to the back of bus. Really doesn't have anything to do with Liberty, freedom. It has to do with the absurd proposition that voters should consider Anarchists to RUN this country.. :rolleyes:

Gotta decide if you're gonna be a purist wonk or get out and fix things working from the Constitution and where we are...

Anarchists can run a country, they don't believe in governmental authority (i.e. an inequality of rights). That is the fundamental distinction between anarchists and everyone else - the former does not condone the use of immoral violence (force used outside the scope of defense), everyone else does, to some degree. If a government does not employ such violence, it is no longer government. This is its distinguishing characteristic - the "authority" to do things that would be wrong if any individual did them.

This is its distinguishing characteristic - the "authority" to do things that would be wrong if any individual did them
And yet this is also one of its most important and redeeming qualities. Our justice system may not be perfect, but it is better than anything else anyone has thought of, in its fundamental ideas.

Which ones?

Ok then.

The issue is they didn't even really do anything in the election. We are too entrenched in a two party system currently.

How could you DO anything with all the pussy grabbing, computer smashing, basket of deplorables, Bernie screwing, illegal murdering headlines dude? Johnson/Weld was polling over 10% in 9 states until nut-cutting time. THAT's actually impressive considering the juvenile horseshit noise.

"Entrenched" is too polite. Brain damaged would be much more accurate. Just poke around USMB for any adult reasoned sanity. If you find ANY ---- PM me and let me know. I'll go delete it. :113:

Anarchists can run a country, they don't believe in governmental authority (i.e. an inequality of rights). That is the fundamental distinction between anarchists and everyone else - the former does not condone the use of immoral violence (force used outside the scope of defense), everyone else does, to some degree. If a government does not employ such violence, it is no longer government. This is its distinguishing characteristic - the "authority" to do things that would be wrong if any individual did them.
How would anarchists handle a serial killer then? Everyone knows that that guy is killing people, but i as one citizen can't kill him back because killing is wrong. Can the government then apprehend/jail/kill that serial killer since an individual can't kill someone else so therefore the government shouldn't be able to? ...even though the rest of the community would likely agree that not having a serial killer around is a good idea?

Hi everybody. I'm just trying to get a sense for how many people here are truly freedom-minded. Please vote to indicate your position, and feel free to elaborate, or bring up anything you'd like (or just vent your inevitable frustrations) in this thread! Thanks so much!

*note that I've made a distinction between full-on anarchists/voluntaryists, Libertarian party supporters, and other libertarians who condone some form of minimal government.

Hate to break the love, but the BIG L libertarians only started to make election progress by sending the anarchists to the back of bus. Really doesn't have anything to do with Liberty, freedom. It has to do with the absurd proposition that voters should consider Anarchists to RUN this country.. :rolleyes:

Gotta decide if you're gonna be a purist wonk or get out and fix things working from the Constitution and where we are...

Been here before. As an official party delegate and on panels. You don't NEED violence to run a country by the consent of the governed. You just need more CHOICES on the ballot and more open debates.

Violence happens when govts are HIJACKED by parties. In reality, the LParty doesn't EXIST to be a party. And has no intention of using violence either in administering govt.

What about the court systems? Is that govt violence to you? Prisons?

Which ones?

Ok then.

How could you DO anything with all the pussy grabbing, computer smashing, basket of deplorables, Bernie screwing, illegal murdering headlines dude? Johnson/Weld was polling over 10% in 9 states until nut-cutting time. THAT's actually impressive considering the juvenile horseshit noise.

"Entrenched" is too polite. Brain damaged would be much more accurate. Just poke around USMB for any adult reasoned sanity. If you find ANY ---- PM me and let me know. I'll go delete it. :113:

It is what it is. trying to argue otherwise without massive constitutional changes is like arguing about Phasers being used by wookies.

It absolutely is, when it is unconstrained. You can see examples in this very thread.

"Why should I pay for someone else's choices?"

Choices... like, voting for public education? Like, voting for gas tax to fund roads? It is completely unconstrained, and it is usually the quality of argument one gets against specific taxes.

It is much harder to delineate why we should pay for one thing, and not for another. there will be no "objective truth" to be found there, and it is the intellectually lazy who pretend to "defer to a code", like liberalism... when really they are only deferring to their own fetishes and neuroses.
What about objecting to being automatically enrolled in a failed Ponzi scheme set up 40 years before my birth? I had no choice in that decision, yet here I am, paying into it without a way to opt out. Make no mistake...it is a fucking tax.

I am paying for choices made decades before me. Should I be required to do so?

To adhere to the code of Liberty First or Maximizing Individual Liberty is not lazy. It requires reasoned decisions, asking the question, "what decision will maximize individual liberty?"

Call that a "fetish" if you want, but maximizing individual liberty first and foremost is universal and would lead to much better decisions.

One can easily delineate what taxes are appropriate by determining what will maximize individual liberty. That principle will likely yield as many different opinions as anything else, but at least we all know the objective.

Forum List

Back