An obvious loophole in same-sex marriage bans

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Couldn't these bans be sidestepped simply by one of the parties declaring themselves to be the opposite sex? I'm pretty sure a panty-check wouldn't pass Constitutional muster.

I can't believe nobody has thought of this already. Or maybe they have. :dunno:

thoughts?

No. Marriage licenses are issued under oath, and resulting marriages are only binding to the extend that both parties have presented honestly to obtain the license. For example, if one party is already married, and simply says that they aren't married, the issuing agent won't bother to do an exhaustive background check to verify the fact. But the resulting marriage would still be null and void. That aside, you usually have to present ID documents in order to obtain a marriage license, like your driver's license and birth certificate. Good luck doctoring forgeries that will confirm your hoax. After all that trouble, a plane ticket to a state that allows gay marriage would be a hell of alot easier.

• Banned
No. Marriage licenses are issued under oath, and resulting marriages are only binding to the extend that both parties have presented honestly to obtain the license. For example, if one party is already married, and simply says that they aren't married, the issuing agent won't bother to do an exhaustive background check to verify the fact. But the resulting marriage would still be null and void. That aside, you usually have to present ID documents in order to obtain a marriage license, like your driver's license and birth certificate. Good luck doctoring forgeries that will confirm your hoax. After all that trouble, a plane ticket to a state that allows gay marriage would be a hell of alot easier.

It's not a lie if they believe it.

• Banned
I'm guessing it would be legally difficult, but then, I'm not a legal expert.

I think it could be done quite easily, especially considering the fact that people are already allowed to legally change their gender. For example, if a person born a man went through a sex-change operation to become a woman and then applied for a marriage license to wed a man, would that application be denied in states that ban same-sex marriage? Now taking that a step further, who says you have to actually go through the operation to self-identify as the opposite sex?

I think it could be done quite easily, especially considering the fact that people are already allowed to legally change their gender. For example, if a person born a man went through a sex-change operation to become a woman and then applied for a marriage license to wed a man, would that application be denied in states that ban same-sex marriage? Now taking that a step further, who says you have to actually go through the operation to self-identify as the opposite sex?

:thup:

The most pertinent question is, of course, would mal approve?

I just don't get the whole thing, If two guys or two gals want to think they are married let them. This liberal mentality is already way out of control.

• Banned
I just don't get the whole thing, If two guys or two gals want to think they are married let them. This liberal mentality is already way out of control.

If by 'let them' you mean legally allow them to file joint tax returns and as well as participate in all the other benefits and entanglements of marriage, then I agree.

What's it say in the bible about sex changes?

The goal of a same-sex couple is to be allowed equal access to marriage law, and have their committed relationship acknowledge as such by the state, as two women or two men – not realize ‘marriage’ as a result of dishonesty.

What's it say in the bible about sex changes?

Thou shall not Chaz :D,
chaz-bono.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back