An experiment of sorts

well named

poorly undertitled
Oct 2, 2018
Hello USMessageBoard-ians

By way of introductions:
  1. I am a 36 year old computer programmer working on computer software used to coordinate emergency medical care
  2. I am politically liberal
  3. I am married to a sociologist, and have acted as research assistant/co-author on a few research projects (topics like religious deconversion and the men's rights movement)
  4. I am a part-time student in anthropology
  5. I am particularly interested in how culture, media, and the political process play a role in social change
I've been a member of a number of discussion forums over the last 20 years, but don't tend to find new forums very often, so this is kind of an experiment. It's not clear at all that it will go well, but at the very least this place appears to be... lively? I'm still trying to figure out where to actually jump into some conversations, so instead I thought I would post here and say hello instead.

Last edited:
Politically liberal? Me too.
Are you a real liberal, or a regressive, big govt bedwetter?

Welcome aboard

I’m the most liberal one here

I wasn't trying to be too specific, but I meant in something like the typical usage of the word in US politics. So for example I voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primary and Clinton in the general election, although I was not particularly fond of Clinton as a candidate.

I understand some folks are trying to reclaim the word "liberal" in relation to what they want to refer to as "classical liberal" ideas. Some of those values I certainly share, others probably not as much. I wouldn't refer to myself as regressive, but your mileage may vary. I do not generally view government as negatively as people who tend to use the phrase "big government", but I would agree that it's important to recognize the costs/benefits or tradeoffs involved in various kinds of government interventions (cf. the drug war). I had a bedwetting phase in my childhood; it was unpleasant but thankfully passed relatively quickly :p

I wasn't trying to be too specific, but I meant in something like the typical usage of the word in US politics. So for example I voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic primary and Clinton in the general election, although I was not particularly fond of Clinton as a candidate.

I understand some folks are trying to reclaim the word "liberal" in relation to what they want to refer to as "classical liberal" ideas. Some of those values I certainly share, others probably not as much. I wouldn't refer to myself as regressive, but your mileage may vary. I do not generally view government as negatively as people who tend to use the phrase "big government", but I would agree that it's important to recognize the costs/benefits or tradeoffs involved in various kinds of government interventions (cf. the drug war). I had a bedwetting phase in my childhood; it was unpleasant but thankfully passed relatively quickly :p
Why did regressives have to go and ruin a perfectly good brand? It makes me sad every time i think about it. :/

By way of introductions:
  1. I am a 36 year old computer programmer working on computer software used to coordinate emergency medical case
  3. I am married to a sociologist, and have acted as research assistant/co-author on a few research projects (topics like religious deconversion and the men's rights movement)
  5. I am particularly interested in how culture, media, and the political process play a role in social change
I've been a member of a number of discussion forums over the last 20 years, but don't tend to find new forums very often, so this is kind of an experiment. It's not clear at all that it will go well, but at the very least this place appears to be... lively? I'm still trying to figure out where to actually jump into some conversations, so instead I thought I would post here and say hello instead.
There is no change coming out of here.

By way of introductions:
  1. I am a 36 year old computer programmer working on computer software used to coordinate emergency medical care
Welcome, well named! I hope you'll find it interesting enough here to stay (we can use every liberal we can get). As for jumping in to a thread, don't be at all shy--no one tries to be polite here.
Loosen your tie and have a donut.
upload_2018-10-3_14-48-59.png

By way of introductions:
Welcome brother.

Happy posting.

Welcome aboard

I’m the most liberal one here

It seems you're going to be my nemesis, since you appear to be poorly named.

What is wrong with my name?
I was named after my maternal grandfather
Rightwinger McGee

He was a left handed pitcher for the White Sox in the 1920s
Darn Rightwinger I thought it had to do with the groin area....Guess I was wrong again LOL Sorry I could not help myfelf.

Why did regressives have to go and ruin a perfectly good brand? It makes me sad every time i think about it. :/

What brand is that? Jack Daniels?

I understand some folks are trying to reclaim the word "liberal" in relation to what they want to refer to as "classical liberal" ideas.

Oh we can definitely delve into that. But in its proper place, no politics in the intro thread.

Welcome and bring many hip boots. :welcome:

Forum List

Back