An example of the pure bullshit coming out of America's universities

White Settler Society as Monster... ...and the Violence of Forgetting

This paper is so full of bullshit, that it might as well be a wedding cake where every level is pure bullshit, with vomit used as frosting.

College students who take this class should not be surprised if no one wants to hire them after graduation.

In public universities, it is the taxpayer who pay for these cretins' salaries, health benefits, 401k, and a generous retirement package.

We should clean this out of our university system like Hercules cleaned the Augean stables, diverting a river to wash away its stench.

History is about making an argument and using evidence to back yourself up. It's not about reading something and just believing. So... what's the problem?

The problem is that this is a troll thread and somewhere out there is Blackrook trying to keep from laugh choking off of a bong hit.

It's the only rational explanation.

Ah.... Chomskys oppressed peoples hatred of the US is every communists favorite ....... Poor darlings

:laugh:

Abstract:
This article provides a critical analysis of the practices and discourses of whitesettler
β€œ
men
”
in Southeast Kansas (Ancestral Osage Territories) by examining theinextricable links rural masculinity has with settler colonialism. I begin by underscoringhow efforts in erasing Indigenous histories have been sanctioned through processes of dispossession, bordering, and nation-state building. I then explore how hetero-patriarchal rural hierarchies are assembled via capitalistic desires for private property;conservative Christianity
’
s rhetoric of altruism and good intentions; white supremacist conceptions of race; and masculinist perspectives regarding work and gender. Next,I highlight how the spatial assertion of white settler masculinity reproduces colonialoppressions based upon interlocking subject positions and notions of difference. Icontinue by suggesting denial and disaf
fi
liation are banal exercises of disavowalemployed by white settler societies as attempts to forget colonial violence. I then
fi
nish by illustrating how a masculinist status quo might be disrupted, resisted, andtransformed.
Keywords:
settler colonialism, masculinity, white supremacy, discourse analysis,feminist geography, rural geographyI think it
’
s just time for them to get over it, they need to quit feeling sorry for themselvesand get on with their lives at some point (Rob, 32-year-old
β€œ
Kansan
”
, speaking about Indigenous people).They had been wiped out in the worst way, through the greatest kind of human crime
…
Through forgetting(Subcomandante Marcos, former spokesperson of the EZLN, speaking about Indigenouspeople).
One cannot tell an honest history of Southeast Kansas
without mentioning theviolence of settler colonialism, nor can its ties to masculinity and white supremacybe denied. As such, the goal of this paper is to critically analyze the role whitehetero-settler masculinity plays in reproducing gendered social relations and racialhierarchies in current day
β€œ
Southeast Kansas
”
, the ancestral territories of the Osage
Antipode
Vol. 00 No. 0 2015 ISSN 0066-4812, pp 1
–
22 doi: 10.1111/anti.12177Β© 2015 The Author.
Antipode
Β© 2015 Antipode Foundation Ltd.
1-707333e025.jpg
1-707333e025.jpg

(
Wah-Zha-Zhi
) Nation. My discussion addresses the colonial assertion of hegemonic(rural) masculinity by white, working-class,
β€œ
American
”
(United States citizen)
β€œ
men
”
in relation to spatiality and the dispossession of the Osage Nation.
IemphasizehereitisnotmyaimtosubjecttheOsagepeopletotheprobingmag-nifying glass of a white settler researcher (myself), who is not an authority on their culture or knowledges. As several critical voices have pointed out, this type of research, oftentimes despite good intentions, reinforces colonial oppressionthrough fetishization and tokenism, as well as ongoing material and discursiveexposures (deLeeuwetal.2013; TuhiwaiSmith1999). Rather,myexamination setsouttointerrogatethesocio-spatialproductionofmasculinityinruralKansasinorder to contribute to ongoing scholarly discussions applying decolonial theories to gen-der, sexuality, race, and power across settler colonial geographies (Barnes 2013;Coombes2006;HuntandHolmes2015;Morgensen2012).Idosobydrawingfromempirical data gathered during a research project I directed in Southeast Kansas.For the research, I moved back to the rural community I was raised in andobtained work as a farmhand. Southeast Kansas is largely viewed by participantsas having a
β€œ
slow pace of life
”
where
β€œ
a lot of down-to-earth country folk
”
live.As it is situated in an economically depressed region of the central United States,incomes are largely dependent upon industrial mono-cropping, livestock produc-tion, resource extraction, highway and warehouse construction, factory processing,and millwork
fi
nishing. I lived in the area as a participant observer for nine monthsand interviewed 30 individuals, visiting each person at least twice. I also held eight focus groups (each with
fi
ve contributors), had 15 men keep photo-journals, andrecorded
fi
eld notes during my day-to-day work.The participants all classi
fi
ed themselves as male, white/
β€œ
Caucasian
”
, heterosex-ual/
β€œ
straight
”
, Catholic/Christian, working or middle class, and their ages rangedfrom 19 to 77. In addition, all of the informants self-identi
fi
ed as
β€œ
American
”
β€œ
fromthe country
”
, and
β€œ
local
”
Upon collecting the data, I then conducted a discourseanalysis of the participants
’
interviews, re
fl
ections, and photographs, which wasprimarily informed by feminist and decolonial theoretical perspectives.
I analyzedthe data by iteratively examining the transcriptions, comparing them to my
fi
eldnotes, and looking for the emergence of themes relating to power, place,
β€œ
manhood
”
, emotions, social identities, relationships, ideals, values, history,politics, everyday practices, notions of difference, and silences (ie what
β€œ
men
”
werenot talking about).From this vantage point, what I offer is an interlocking overview of what manytransnational, anti-racist, and poststructural feminists have recognized as mutuallyconstitutive processes of socio-spatial subjecti
fi
cation (de Leeuw 2009; Jiwani2006; McKittrick 2011). In conceptually framing my approach as interlocking, Iam not implying
β€œ
identities
”
are
fi
xed categories that occasionally intersect,rather, I theorize subject positions as
fl
uid, indissoluble, and spatialized relation-ships, which never exist in isolation from one another (Collins 2002; Razack2002). My analysis of Southeast Kansas suggests the marginalizing/enablingtendencies positioning subjects differently on account of masculinity, settler colonialism, and
β€œ
place
”
are relational, and in constant states of transition. Thispaper simply aims to tell a story, from one particular perspective and set of
Antipode
Β© 2015 The Author.
Antipode
Β© 2015 Antipode Foundation Ltd.
2-d39e788a64.jpg

Forum List

Back