An Early Run-In With Censors Led Rod Serling to ‘The Twilight Zone’

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In August of 1955, Emmett Till, an African-American boy from Chicago was abducted, beaten, and shot while visiting family in Mississippi. A nation divided by race dug in its feet in the aftermath. While Jet magazine disseminated photographs from the open-casket funeral, showing the full mutilation of the 14-year-old’s corpse, another story played out in the courtroom. That fall, an all-white jury acquitted the two killers, both white, of all charges.

The miscarriage of justice proved a galvanizing point in the Civil Rights Movement. Rod Serling, a 30-year-old rising star in a golden age of dramatic television, watched the events play out in the news. He believed firmly in the burgeoning medium’s power for social justice. “The writer’s role is to be a menacer of the public’s conscience,” Serling later said. “He must have a position, a point of view. He must see the arts as a vehicle of social criticism and he must focus the issues of his time.”

Soon after the trial concluded, Serling, riding off the success of his most well-received teleplay to date, felt compelled write a teleplay around the racism that led to Till’s murder. But the censorship that followed by advertisers and networks, fearful of blowback from white, Southern audiences, forced Serling to rethink his approach. His response, ultimately, was “The Twilight Zone,” the iconic anthology series that spoke truth to the era’s social ills and tackled themes of prejudice, bigotry, nuclear fears, war, among so many others.

Tonight, “The Twilight Zone” enters another dimension led by Jordan Peele. Peele has emerged as one of Hollywood’s most interesting auteurs, using a toolbelt of humor, horror and specificity to explore the human experience, especially through the construct of race. That through line can be found throughout his body of work from the witty sketch-comedy episodes of “Key & Peele” to his latest offering, the box-office record-setting Us. His perspective makes him a natural choice to step in as host and executive producer of the buzzy reboot coming to CBS All Access.

Later in the article it shows this:

Read more: An Early Run-In With Censors Led Rod Serling to 'The Twilight Zone' | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

I am always wary of any type of remake. It's an interesting history.

Serling cannot be duplicated.

If I was a Twilight Zone episode, it would be "The Obsolete Man".

I absolutely agree that he can't be duplicated.

Kind of reminds me of the South Park Shit Episode when they used the word like 150 times in one episode to irritate the censors

Kind of reminds me of the South Park Shit Episode when they used the word like 150 times in one episode to irritate the censors

Dos that involve Shitty Wok?

LOL. IIRC they discovered that shit could be used in a certain context legally on air so they packed the episode with it every possible chance they could. It is a pretty annoying episode after like the first two minutes. I think the creators said they even annoyed themselves with that episode.

Forum List

Back