An AHA Moment

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I recently heard about a Cornell University Professor's essay in the NY Times about relations between police and the Black community. Although much of it absurdly characterized police as angry White men trying to hold onto their diminishing power, one facet of her essay struck home with me. Police are taught to take charge of a situation first and ask questions later. While this is often viewed as unnecessary, irritating and/or obnoxious by Whites, this police behavior can also be seen as demeaning, derogatory and/or discriminatory by Blacks. In many instances, it is not that much different from an an overseer's behavior during slavery.

It seems that police training should include recognition of this dynamic and that police procedures need to be better explained in Black communities. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the idiotic comments. Time to go back to your CB radios.

I recently heard about a Cornell University Professor's essay in the NY Times about relations between police and the Black community. Although much of it absurdly characterized police as angry White men trying to hold onto their diminishing power, one facet of her essay struck home with me. Police are taught to take charge of a situation first and ask questions later. While this is often viewed as unnecessary, irritating and/or obnoxious by Whites, this police behavior can also be seen as demeaning, derogatory and/or discriminatory by Blacks. In many instances, it is not that much different from an an overseer's behavior during slavery.

It seems that police training should include recognition of this dynamic and that police procedures need to be better explained in Black communities. Any suggestions?
In my encounters with cops as a youth it had nothing to do with training unless they were trained to be racists. The police force simply hired white boys that were itching to go out and harass, provoke, and kill black people. When I got older there was a mandate that you had to live in the area you policed so that cleared up a lot of the problems with racism.

You are taught to Trust Police Officers but Police Officers are NOT taught to trust YOU!

Americans need to learn the Law, their Rights and how to stand up to Police Officers who are Thugs with a Badge.

White People need to start acting more like Blacks when it comes to Police encounters.

In my encounters with cops as a youth it had nothing to do with training unless they were trained to be racists. The police force simply hired white boys that were itching to go out and harass, provoke, and kill black people. When I got older there was a mandate that you had to live in the area you policed so that cleared up a lot of the problems with racism.

So can this get better or not? If this country is irredeemably racist, have you considered relocating?

So are things getting better or not? If this country is irredeemably racist, have you considered relocating?
I dont think the country is irredeemably racist. Things are getting better but its not fast enough at least in the white male sector. I've considered relocating several times but I'm not the type to run from a fight nor would I throw away what I own here.

Below are the minimum prerequisites for police officers In my area. I also have a friend who was a police captain in Los Angeles for 25 years, and it was his belief that a good start to improving the quality of most police forces would be to raise the educational standard. Too often, it seems that some of them have a "John Wayne" complex and a psychosis that prompts them to act like it is not their responsibility to protect and serve, and earn respect in the community that they serve, but to strictly ENFORCE and DEMAND respect. They are public servants and need to be consistently reminded of that.

That aside, I've known some good cops, and have also heard stories about some awful ones.

Be a United States citizen
Be at least 21 years of age
Have a high school diploma or equivalent education
Possess a valid driver's license
Have no prior convictions

Last edited:
You are taught to Trust Police Officers but Police Officers are NOT taught to trust YOU!

Americans need to learn the Law, their Rights and how to stand up to Police Officers who are Thugs with a Badge.

White People need to start acting more like Blacks when it comes to Police encounters.

I was watching Cops the other day and nobody EVER says the words am I under arrest? and if so, "I want my attorney." they just keep on talking... Even the blacks.

Do you have a link?

Police take control of a situation for a reason.

The real question is take control how?

Depends on the situation, don't you think?

Do you think cops handle every case according to the law or that they never use force when they shouldn't. How about pulling someone over and serching without their permission? Why do you think attorneys say enforce your rights when dealing with the police and SHUT UP? How many cops get chewed out by the courts or their captains?

I'm a law biding citizen, but I'm not an idiot I know my rights.

Forum List

Back