An Agnostic ponders religion.

If Protestant you follow Paul.
If Catholic you follow Jesus.
Jesus is not allowed in Catholic Church. ...

Why do say such a totally stupid nonsense? Do you need to do so? Your country is a child of the enlightenment (=the age of reason).

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed nonage. Nonage is the inability to use one's own understanding without another's guidance. ..."
Immanuel Kant

Read books, learn something! Ora et labora et lege, Deus adest sine mora.

By the way: Jesus, the Christ, was the reason for the Christian religion. And Paul founded together with Peter and other apostles the Christian religion (=the Christian rebound in god). The letters of Paul are by the way a great inspiration - as well in the substance and in the form. What an astonishing man. He gives everyone hope to be able to understand god and Jesus, although - or because - he mever met Jesus personally during his life on Earth.

Last edited:
At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God especially after he leaves the bathroom. In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews. And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name. Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years. And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head. Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it. I do support the Golden Rule but only those who are suicidal would kill for it. As an Agnostic, I’m not sitting on the fence; I’m hiding behind a wall.

All this religious love in the world is downright dangerous and the slings and arrows of the past are nothing compared to what’s festering just under the surface of contemporary religious human culture. Mike Pence’s injection-molded haircut does nothing to mitigate my anxiety about the atavistic direction the human race is veering toward.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today. Aleister Crowley and Rasputin are not on my list either.

I conclude that I cannot be saved by religion; I just can’t get excited enough to bayonet non-believers. If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.
I am 10 years younger. Vietnam and McNamara's folly. And by that same light, I can't understand why liberals excuse the Muslims war on the west and free thought. Liberals to-day don't understand freethinking, it defends nihilist self destructive fascist religions. Not real freethinkers. They should question Islam, they might even mock it. A real Liberal would never defend Islamic theocratic bullshit. I think of the merry pranksters, the folks at say years back at say Harvard Lampoon, now it's 4chan. Bravo!

Last edited:
At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God

No Catholic ever saw in the Pope a living god. What a nonsense is this now?

especially after he leaves the bathroom.

Okay. You never was a Catholic and you never visited a kindergarten.

In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews.

The whole world - not only Germans and/or Catholics - have a problem in this context. I'm a German with Jewish roots too and I am a Catholic. And you have in my eyes a problem with Nazi and Commie propaganda.

And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name.

You are not a Jew - and Jews feel often not very comfortable with convertits. I on my own share this unease. Convertits are often extreme.

Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years.

The reason for this march was to escape from the very comfortable slavery of death in ancient Egpyt. Since this days they live in the traditions of god. Later came others and shared to live in this traditions. Christians for example. And Muslims too. Even Hindu believe today their many gods are an manifestation of the one universal (=catholic) god.

And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

What helps to stay to be an idiot on an higher level of idiocy ... Oh sorry: Sometimes I'm a little sarcastic. If I would not be a Catholic, then I fear I would be a pure sarcast.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head.

What about to have holy-days 1/3 of a year, to take a bath with the lover in a barrel and to make a little travel some thousand miles for years on reason to go on a pilgrimage?

Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

?

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it.

So you would not be ready to die for your children, your wife, your friends - but you would become a soldier, if your country calls you on whatever reason, because otherwise you would be arrested and called "traitor".

All this religious love in the world is downright dangerous and the slings and arrows of the past are nothing compared to what’s festering just under the surface of contemporary religious human culture. Mike Pence’s injection-molded haircut does nothing to mitigate my anxiety about the atavistic direction the human race is veering toward.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today.

Sorry, But I do not call Hippies "atheists". I call them "believers in love".

I conclude that I cannot be saved by religion; I just can’t get excited enough to bayonet non-believers. If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.

If you would be inspired and/or you really made experiences about the hells, which exist on planet Earth for so many people, then you never had said at the position of this sentence now "so be it". But I see you now at your starting point of the text here again: You are a member of a "civilisation of death". Wars, abortion, drugs, violence, criminality and so on and so on . In front of you are the ways: Your sofa or a 40 years march through a dessert with the hope never to find the beloved country. Your decision is clear - the decision of others is clear too.

Last edited:
At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God especially after he leaves the bathroom. In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews. And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name. Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years. And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head. Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it. I do support the Golden Rule but only those who are suicidal would kill for it. As an Agnostic, I’m not sitting on the fence; I’m hiding behind a wall.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today. Aleister Crowley and Rasputin are not on my list either.

It appears your view of religion is somewhat narrow. Human nature being what it is, people are going to say and do things that one or should not do, and that includes religious people including Popes. [They ain't living Gods BTW, don't know where you got that from but it's nonsense.] Is it logical to condemn religion based on the actions of people who profess to be believers and yet do terrible things or condone the terrible actions of others? If I brainwash you into believing somebody or group is evil and must be destroyed, who is at fault? You for doing it, me for brainwashing you into doing it, or the religion that I have misused for whatever reasons as part of the brainwashing?

If you don't believe in God, that's ok by me. If you think religion is a bunch of hogwash, I got no problem with that. There are a bunch of good reasons why religion is a good thing for a lot of people, maybe you should google the benefits of religions and see what comes up.
I agree that there can be benefits for people to believe in a Faith of their choice. Many people benefit from the structure and comfort a formal religion offers. To me the problems start when the people within the various Faiths have conflicts with each other. Those conflicts can lead to division, hatred, violence, murder and wars.

It appears your view of religion is somewhat narrow. Human nature being what it is, people are going to say and do things that one or should not do, and that includes religious people including Popes. [They ain't living Gods BTW, don't know where you got that from but it's nonsense.] Is it logical to condemn religion based on the actions of people who profess to be believers and yet do terrible things or condone the terrible actions of others? If I brainwash you into believing somebody or group is evil and must be destroyed, who is at fault? You for doing it, me for brainwashing you into doing it, or the religion that I have misused for whatever reasons as part of the brainwashing?

If you don't believe in God, that's ok by me. If you think religion is a bunch of hogwash, I got no problem with that. There are a bunch of good reasons why religion is a good thing for a lot of people, maybe you should google the benefits of religions and see what comes up.
I agree that there can be benefits for people to believe in a Faith of their choice. Many people benefit from the structure and comfort a formal religion offers. To me the problems start when the people within the various Faiths have conflicts with each other. Those conflicts can lead to division, hatred, violence, murder and wars.

True, but that is usually the fault of the people inside the religion's structure rather than the religion itself. One could make a case against Islam where there are passages in the Koran that seem to incite violence and conflict with others, but mostly it's due to misuse of power by those is a position to do so.

Dear Ray9 Since you come from a Catholic background, are you okay interpreting the
Trinity where God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit represent the love of Truth, Justice, and Peace for all humanity collectively?

If you believe universal truth would apply to all people, regardless of cultural, political or
religious "languages" for how we share this universal truth, knowledge and laws governing humanity and the world,
I suggest following the model of the Unitarian Universalists which strive to "translate" the
same principles taught through religion but expressing these in culturally diverse and inclusive ways instead of exclusive or divisive.

==================
"Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote seven Principles, which we hold as strong values and moral guides. We live out these Principles within a “living tradition” of wisdom and spirituality, drawn from sources as diverse as science, poetry, scripture, and personal experience.

As Rev. Barbara Wells ten Hove explains, “The Principles are not dogma or doctrine, but rather a guide for those of us who choose to join and participate in Unitarian Universalist religious communities.”

Unitarian Universalism's Seven Principles
  1. 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  2. 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  3. 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  4. 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  5. 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  6. 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  7. 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
=================

I find that taking a universal approach to ANY faith tradition, whether Buddhist Christian or even Constitutionalist allows ALL people of ALL backgrounds to be included equally.
So you don't have to give up your faith, but keep your traditions and just add on ways of
expressing these same universal truths by studying other cultural and religious traditions that teach them in different ways.

As for Christianity, I explain it as CHARITY which is a universal principle or practice.
And Christ Jesus means RESTORATIVE JUSTICE.

Anything that is a universal truth in any given religion means it can be translated into
secular terms and explanation of the principle or meaning that doesn't rely on any one language.

God has many different aspects or meanings/names
and so does Jesus. The more languages we learn for sharing the meaning
of God and Jesus, the more people we can share and communicate with.

The best part is you don't have to give up your native language
to learn other languages for universal laws. The Bahai also teach inclusion of all tribes as contributing to the understanding of greater spiritual truth and growth of humanity to its fullest.

I am a Christian. Not Catholic (I was raised Catholic and repudiated Catholicism as a teen), Lutheran., Methodist, etc. That being said I abhor anyone shoving their religious beliefs down peoples throats. When it comes to a person's beliefs and behaviors, that is between that person and God. It's not my place to act in God's stead.

I will discuss religion only when asked to. Those who choose to "bayonet non-believers" may well find themselves bayoneted on judgement day.
When Jesus instructed his disciples go and to make disciples of the nations, he didn't tell them to go and wait until they were asked to.

Dear norwegen
But if a nonbeliever asks a believer to depart company, you respect those wishes and leave
"shaking the dust from your sandals" and walking away.

Between fellow believers, we are supposed to resolve any disputes or trespasses between
us so that we restore good faith relations by establishing the truth at all times.
Matthew 18:15-20

With secular gentiles under natural laws, you have freedom of speech, right to petition
to redress grievances, and free exercise of religion which goes both ways. You can
exercise and express your beliefs, but so does the other person have equal rights to theirs.

If we do not respect the beliefs and limits of the next person, but insist on imposing on
them against their will, that is abusing speech and religion to violate the equal rights of others.
So there is a natural limit where we must equally respect the CONSENT of our neighbors.

If you want to share something new with others, the best way is to open up and
allow them to share and influence you with new understanding and knowledge.

It's a mutual give and take, like the Golden Rule.

You cannot expect relations to be one-way communication where you impose change on others.
That's not how it works.

Sharing and growth happens mutually where both people must be equally open to change.
So the more we change ourselves and open up to receive,
the better we can encourage growth in our relations with others as well!

... I agree that there can be benefits for people to believe in a Faith of their choice. Many people benefit from the structure and comfort a formal religion offers. To me the problems start when the people within the various Faiths have conflicts with each other. Those conflicts can lead to division, hatred, violence, murder and wars.

That's no problem. We can kill you first because of this wrong belief without plausibility. Or with other words: A society, which believes in atheism, is for sure not more harmless than a society, which believes in god. Perhaps such s society is more helpless, because it is not able to think in the spiritual ways of belief, but for sure it is not more harmless.

Last edited:

Why do you need to join any church?

Why can't you read the bible and worship in accordance with your own understanding? Why can't you worship without the bible?

It seems to me that the god you want to worship is not vengeful or capricious and he would understand that a sincere effort is being made by those seeking him out.

I have no use for god or religion but if I was in your shoes I wouldn't want to join an existing church because I simply can't tolerate having dogma shoved down my throat

God will reveal Himself to you or He will not.

Jesus will call you or He will not. I pray He does, but in the end it's not up to me.

I took the same journey. If you do your homework and are honest with yourself, there’s only one conclusion. John 3:16.

Jesus will call you or He will not. I pray He does, but in the end it's not up to me.

That is you talking to yourself.

Prove it.

Prove it.

There is no proof of your lite schizophrenia. If and when it gets bad others will notice it.

Prove it.

There is no proof of your lite schizophrenia. If and when it gets bad others will notice it.

Oh....you're so simple-minded you think "calling" means you literally hear voices.

Penny, do I need to remind you that you're the one who does not believe the most well-recorded event in the 20th century, just because you don't want to?

Prove it.

Oh....you're so simple-minded you think "calling" means you literally hear voices.

Penny, do I need to remind you that you're the one who does not believe the most well-recorded event in the 20th century, just because you don't want to?

What do you think Abraham heard? Does he talk to you, is he your best friend?

Prove it.

Hey Penny, let's ask the board which is more crazy:

1. Sweet Sue prays to God and feels like He directs her life OR

2. Penny does not "believe" that Jews were gassed in the Holocaust because....no one knows why, she just doesn't want to.

I'm serious. Do you want to put this up for a vote? Which one is more crazy?

Prove it.

Penny is the perfect Catholic- she thinks Jesus was not a Jew and the only reason to hate Nazis is they didn’t finish their job on the Jews.

Prove it.

Hey Penny, let's ask the board which is more crazy:

1. Sweet Sue prays to God and feels like He directs her life OR

2. Penny does not "believe" that Jews were gassed in the Holocaust because....no one knows why, she just doesn't want to.

I'm serious. Do you want to put this up for a vote? Which one is more crazy?

You are not going to take me off of subject no matter how hard you try. Do you feel Jesus is talking to you?? Simple question.

Are you really an agnostic?
I understand agnosticism does not ponder what is unknowable. Waste of time.
Unless one enjoys fantasy and reading fiction about “supernatural” entities.

Forum List

Back