An Agnostic ponders religion.

... I agree that there can be benefits for people to believe in a Faith of their choice. Many people benefit from the structure and comfort a formal religion offers. To me the problems start when the people within the various Faiths have conflicts with each other. Those conflicts can lead to division, hatred, violence, murder and wars.

That's no problem. We can kill you first because of this wrong belief without plausibility. Or with other words: A society, which believes in atheism, is for sure not more harmless than a society, which believes in god. Perhaps such s society is more helpless, because it is not able to think in the spiritual ways of belief, but for sure it is not more harmless.

So you want to kill me because I don't believe in your version of God? How spiritual of you.

... I agree that there can be benefits for people to believe in a Faith of their choice. Many people benefit from the structure and comfort a formal religion offers. To me the problems start when the people within the various Faiths have conflicts with each other. Those conflicts can lead to division, hatred, violence, murder and wars.

That's no problem. We can kill you first because of this wrong belief without plausibility. Or with other words: A society, which believes in atheism, is for sure not more harmless than a society, which believes in god. Perhaps such s society is more helpless, because it is not able to think in the spiritual ways of belief, but for sure it is not more harmless.

So you want to kill me because I don't believe in your version of God? How spiritual of you.

You are lucky. Some others I will stretch additionally to a spaghetti in a black hole after their death, if their SQ (=spiritual quotient) is not the best.

Last edited:
At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God especially after he leaves the bathroom. In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews. And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name. Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years. And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head. Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it. I do support the Golden Rule but only those who are suicidal would kill for it. As an Agnostic, I’m not sitting on the fence; I’m hiding behind a wall.

All this religious love in the world is downright dangerous and the slings and arrows of the past are nothing compared to what’s festering just under the surface of contemporary religious human culture. Mike Pence’s injection-molded haircut does nothing to mitigate my anxiety about the atavistic direction the human race is veering toward.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today. Aleister Crowley and Rasputin are not on my list either.

I conclude that I cannot be saved by religion; I just can’t get excited enough to bayonet non-believers. If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.

You are confusing religion with spirituality. I believe what you are seeking is the latter. Organized religions - especially pre-Reformation versions - are political organizations. One can have a spiritual practice and a relationship with God without the political structures and control of others. One does miss the group rituals (the Catholic Church is great at rituals), but it's more peaceful to be a solo practitioner, imho,

At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God especially after he leaves the bathroom. In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews. And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name. Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years. And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head. Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it. I do support the Golden Rule but only those who are suicidal would kill for it. As an Agnostic, I’m not sitting on the fence; I’m hiding behind a wall.

All this religious love in the world is downright dangerous and the slings and arrows of the past are nothing compared to what’s festering just under the surface of contemporary religious human culture. Mike Pence’s injection-molded haircut does nothing to mitigate my anxiety about the atavistic direction the human race is veering toward.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today. Aleister Crowley and Rasputin are not on my list either.

I conclude that I cannot be saved by religion; I just can’t get excited enough to bayonet non-believers. If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.
Are you really an agnostic?
I understand agnosticism does not ponder what is unknowable. Waste of time.
Unless one enjoys fantasy and reading fiction about “supernatural” entities.

What you call "agnosticism" is the idea that life is an evaluable experiment under the rule (god) of the philosophy empiricism. But is someone really the experiment of a physicist for example? Indeed agnosticism has nothing to do with religion. It's a philosophy. This philosophy says as well the belief in the existence of god and the opposite atheism are a belief. I'm for example an agnostics (=part of my philosophy) who believes in god (=part of my religion) - what's quite normal for a Christian.

Last edited:

What you call "agnosticism" is the idea that life is an evaluable experiment under the rule (god) of the philosophy empiricism. But is someone really the experiment of a physicist for example? Indeed agnosticism has nothing to do with religion. It's a philosophy. This philosophy says as well the belief in the existence of god and the opposite atheism are a belief. I'm for example an agnostics (=part of my philosophy) who believes in god (=part of my religion) - what's quite normal for a Christian.
If agnosticism is a philosophy, it is a simple one.
An agnostic has NO BELIEF in that which he/she cannot see or experience in some way.
The honest phrase “I don’t know” is associated with an agnostic position.

No. It is not simple. We know for example that something with our perception of reality and/or space and time is wrong - but we don't know what it is.

An agnostic has NO BELIEF in that which he/she cannot see or experience in some way.

What's wrong. A physicist for example sees nowhere in the nature a perfect circle - neverthelless he uses a meta-physics with perfect circles.

Question: "How to make a pretzel?"
Answer: "I don't know".

What means "honest" in this context?

I was brought up Christian. But I believe the bible to have been written by man and most likely made up. The God of the old Testament is an Asshole. I have heard no argument of worth that proves one religion as being the one true religion.

However, I look at biology, or skeletons for that matter and I have a hard time believe Human life was accidental. We have bacteria in our stomachs that would eat us alive if it weren't for it being coated in mucus drained from our sinuses.

No. It is not simple. We know for example that something with our perception of reality and/or space and time is wrong - but we don't know what it is.

What's wrong. A physicist for example sees nowhere in the nature a perfect circle - neverthelless he uses a meta-physics with perfect circles.

If you ask me whether I believe in a god, as an agnostic, I will HONESTLY say “I don’t know”.
I will not PRETEND to know in order to conform to someone elses wishes.

You are lucky. Some others I will stretch additionally to a spaghetti in a black hole after their death, if their SQ (=spiritual quotient) is not the best.

Thank you for providing yourself as a perfect example of what I was referring to, Oh holy one.

If you ask me whether I believe in a god, as an agnostic, I will HONESTLY say “I don’t know”.

An answer, which is nonsense on a high level of nonsense an has nothing to do with "honestly". An Agnostic knows he not knows whether god is existing or not existing. But an agnostics for example also knows that he don't know whether the reality all around us is existing or not existing too. Nevertheless a broken leg for example is a very real thing. In case of the belief in god an agnostics has a lot of possibilities to answer: "I believe in god" for example or "I do not believe in god", "I don't know, what to believe" or "I don't know what's real and wether a deeper spiritual context is existing" are possible answers. Or "Sometimes I believe in god and sometimes not" is an answer. Or "I believe in god when I take a look at his creation, but when I see what human beings are doing with his creation then I don't believe in god anymore" and so on and so on.

I will not PRETEND to know in order to conform to someone elses wishes.

An adult is doing what the parents tell him to do although on reason it is good to do so.

Last edited:

Thank you for providing yourself as a perfect example of what I was referring to, Oh holy one.

Where do you think do we get from the thread for weaving souls to flying carpets?

Where do you think do we get from the thread for weaving souls to flying carpets?

Who is "we"?

Who is "we"?

Spiritual entities. Alkuin for example - you know him under the name Merlin.

Last edited:

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upraids not, and it shall be given unto him." James 1:5

If you want to know God, you have to talk with him. You have to listen. You need to serve Him. And you serve him by serving your fellow man.

You're right. Religion won't save you. It never did.

Christ can.

Www.comeuntochrist.org

I am a Christian. Not Catholic (I was raised Catholic and repudiated Catholicism as a teen), Lutheran., Methodist, etc. That being said I abhor anyone shoving their religious beliefs down peoples throats. When it comes to a person's beliefs and behaviors, that is between that person and God. It's not my place to act in God's stead.

I will discuss religion only when asked to. Those who choose to "bayonet non-believers" may well find themselves bayoneted on judgement day.
When Jesus instructed his disciples go and to make disciples of the nations, he didn't tell them to go and wait until they were asked to.

You are correct. I, being an imperfect human, find it difficult to corner someone and force feed then the Good News. There is more than one way to make disciples of the nations.

Sharing the gospel has nothing to with force feeding anyone. It has to do with opening yourself up to share what is dear to you

There is, in my experience, those who share the teachings of Jesus it is done in the most positive and loving ways. Yet there are those who choose to to be vile and hateful is spreading the Word to others - one of the best examples of that is the Westboro Baptist Church.

All religions have those in their faith who force their beliefs on others.

Now, for the record, I have shared the teachings of Jesus with people. Has it had an impact on their lives? I certainly hope and pray it did. But, I did it my way and if that way is wrong I will answer for it at my judgement.

Westboro Baptist dont share the gospel. They dont have it to begin with. They never share Christ or redemption or forgiveness.

A true agnostic simply acknowledges that there are ultimate questions which are beyond human understanding. But that does not mean that existing religions should be disparaged.

Are they really betind human understanding though? Or do we put them outside our understanding by saying they are there?

I believe God hss the power to reveal all things to men. And that He will as quickly as they are ready for it

Forum List

Back