An Agnostic ponders religion.

At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God especially after he leaves the bathroom. In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews. And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name. Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years. And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head. Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it. I do support the Golden Rule but only those who are suicidal would kill for it. As an Agnostic, I’m not sitting on the fence; I’m hiding behind a wall.

All this religious love in the world is downright dangerous and the slings and arrows of the past are nothing compared to what’s festering just under the surface of contemporary religious human culture. Mike Pence’s injection-molded haircut does nothing to mitigate my anxiety about the atavistic direction the human race is veering toward.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today. Aleister Crowley and Rasputin are not on my list either.

I conclude that I cannot be saved by religion; I just can’t get excited enough to bayonet non-believers. If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.
Your Catholic background is a handicap.

The faith is about you and God, nothing else. John 3:16.
All the rest is commentary, so now go study the word.

Study the word? Best way to turn an agnostic into an atheist that has ever been found

At 72 I am an Agnostic but I’ve been thinking about religion. I was confirmed a catholic in 1960 but I have a hard time seeing the Pope as the living God especially after he leaves the bathroom. In addition, the Catholic faith has a real problem with its silence during Hitler’s extermination of Jews. And there are those piles of wealth accumulated Mafia –style. I’m no Catholic.

I want to pick the religion that has the best God but I’m not going with the Jews because they’ve got one mean God with “wrath” as his middle name. Historically, they write backwards which affected their map reading skills likely explaining why they got lost in the desert for forty years. And I’ve become fond of a part of my anatomy that I don’t want lopped off. The Jews are out.

I have no desire to return to the Middle Ages with medieval crusades and barbaric discipline that buries females up to their necks in dirt while the people test their pitching skills by launching rocks at a human head. Anything Muslim is off the table even though we are probably just around the corner from the first Sharia states in the US.

My problem is that I don’t believe in anything intensely enough to kill other people for it. I do support the Golden Rule but only those who are suicidal would kill for it. As an Agnostic, I’m not sitting on the fence; I’m hiding behind a wall.

All this religious love in the world is downright dangerous and the slings and arrows of the past are nothing compared to what’s festering just under the surface of contemporary religious human culture. Mike Pence’s injection-molded haircut does nothing to mitigate my anxiety about the atavistic direction the human race is veering toward.

I thought I had it figured out in 1973 when I rode my motorcycle to the “Summer Jam” at Watkins Glenn NY to atone for missing Woodstock. I saw naked people rolling in the mud Bonobo style, with no way to keep themselves clean. They just came home, went through penicillin by the barrel and were right back at it again. We call them Atheists today. Aleister Crowley and Rasputin are not on my list either.

I conclude that I cannot be saved by religion; I just can’t get excited enough to bayonet non-believers. If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.
Your Catholic background is a handicap.

The faith is about you and God, nothing else. John 3:16.
All the rest is commentary, so now go study the word.

Study the word? Best way to turn an agnostic into an atheist that has ever been found
Your ignorance is noted.

If Protestant you follow Paul.
If Catholic you follow Jesus.
Jesus is not allowed in Catholic Church.

upload_2019-5-13_21-52-44.jpeg

Plus it creates morons like you who claim Jesus was not a Jew and you only hate Nazis because they didn’t finish the job.

A true agnostic simply acknowledges that there are ultimate questions which are beyond human understanding. But that does not mean that existing religions should be disparaged.

Recounting historical and empirical facts disparages nothing.

you aren't recounting any of that, so no problem.
But that does not mean that existing religions should be disparaged.

and of course falsely claim Christians were more violent than the alternatives,

- and of course falsely claim Christians were more violent than the alternatives ...

images

what alternative ...

and if they were ... sicko the attack dog cooks a steak.

Your chronic imbecility is duly noted. Yet again.

A true agnostic simply acknowledges that there are ultimate questions which are beyond human understanding. But that does not mean that existing religions should be disparaged.

Recounting historical and empirical facts disparages nothing.

But that does not mean that existing religions should be disparaged.

and of course falsely claim Christians were more violent than the alternatives,

- and of course falsely claim Christians were more violent than the alternatives ...

images

what alternative ...

and if they were ... sicko the attack dog cooks a steak.

upload_2019-5-14_9-32-8.jpeg

the religion of antiquity as prescribed by the Almighty is the alternative picaro, your 4th century forged christian bible's uninterrupted history of persecution and victimization of the innocent not only speaks for itself but remains with the other desert religions the primary obstacles to the fulfillment by ourselves for the remission to the Everlasting as humanities primary goal.

your lack of engagement is likewise noted.

lol so post all those verses Constantine rewrote for us.

Why is it you liars can never just post your evidence for that rubbish?

For such a “mean” God, the Jews seemed to have missed out on that Global Conquest thing.

the spoken religion of antiquity is all there is, the word of the Almighty the rubbish man's scripts are neither original nor relevant for more than stuffings in a pillow.

View attachment 260764

Plus it creates morons like you who claim Jesus was not a Jew and you only hate Nazis because they didn’t finish the job.

I do not hate Nazis. They were merely following their leader like the trampers are.
I do not hate Nazis.

Silly me. Of course you don’t.

View attachment 260764

I do not hate Nazis. They were merely following their leader like the trampers are.
I do not hate Nazis.

why not put my half quote in context. Oh well, that is what Protestants do with the bible, everything is out of context. LOL.

View attachment 260764

I do not hate Nazis.

why not put my half quote in context. Oh well, that is what Protestants do with the bible, everything is out of context. LOL.
Oh I’m sorry! You don’t hate Nazis because THEY WERE JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS AS THEY MURDERED MILLIONS.

Better?

View attachment 260764

I do not hate Nazis.

Oh I’m sorry! You don’t hate Nazis because THEY WERE JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS AS THEY MURDERED MILLIONS.

Better?

THEY WERE JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS AS THEY MURDERED MILLIONS.

no, they were just christians typically thinking only for themselves ... w/20.

Why do you feel you need to pick any religion? The very fact that there are so many religions is proof that everyone has their own interpretation of who or what God is. That would lead me to the conclusion that one's own personal interpretation of who or what God is would be just as valid as any formal religion. Just my .02c.

It appears your view of religion is somewhat narrow. Human nature being what it is, people are going to say and do things that one or should not do, and that includes religious people including Popes. [They ain't living Gods BTW, don't know where you got that from but it's nonsense.] Is it logical to condemn religion based on the actions of people who profess to be believers and yet do terrible things or condone the terrible actions of others? If I brainwash you into believing somebody or group is evil and must be destroyed, who is at fault? You for doing it, me for brainwashing you into doing it, or the religion that I have misused for whatever reasons as part of the brainwashing?

If you don't believe in God, that's ok by me. If you think religion is a bunch of hogwash, I got no problem with that. There are a bunch of good reasons why religion is a good thing for a lot of people, maybe you should google the benefits of religions and see what comes up.

There is one Lord, one faith and one baptism. You cannot have varying beliefs in God and all of them be true. It has been the plan of Satan to establish many varying religions even within the realm of Christianity to deceive many.

Soon after the martyrdom of the Apostles of Jesus Christ, a world wide apostasy occurred. This was prophesied by the the prophet Amos.

Amos 8:11-12
11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

There is an old book that was written regarding this great apostasy which has that title, "The Great Apostasy". To read it just click on the link.

If I spend an eternity in Dante’s Inferno for the sin of sloth then so be it.

Not sloth… apathy.

I find you to lack a sincere desire to know the truth. And if you say you possess such, then I find you to be intellectually dishonest. (imo)

Supernatural manifestations abound of which neither science nor nature can account for.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back