America's middle class no longer world's richest

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
America's middle class no longer world's richest

The country's middle class has lost its distinction of being the most affluent in the world

LIS research over the past 35 years shows that lower- and middle-income groups in the U.S. have plateaued over that time

Canada's middle class has overtaken the U.S. in recent years and a number of Western European countries have caught up too

The median U.S. income - $18,700 - has barely changed since 2000

Yet according to per capita gross domestic product the U.S. has maintained its lead as the world’s richest large country

Only a small percentage of Americans are benefiting from this continued growth

By David Mccormack
22 April 2014

While America’s wealthiest citizens continue to outpace their global peers, the country’s middle class has lost its long held distinction of being the most affluent in the world according to new research.

Although economic growth in the United States continues to be as strong as in many other countries - or stronger - only a small percentage of American households are fully benefiting from it, according to the LIS analysis.

<snip>

In essence, it's Bush's fault. Please, enough of this already.

Bush did nothing to improve the lot of the middle class but-----but I accept your verdict that "In essence, it's Bush's fault".

But for me... I'm more inclined to think the destruction of the richest middle class in the world can be boiled down to trickle down reaganomics with a few caveats - such as, to quote the article in the OP; "Only a small percentage of Americans are benefiting from this continued growth"

In essence, it's Bush's fault. Please, enough of this already.

Bush isn't even mentioned in the article. Please, enough of this already.

In fact it identifies the plateau as plateauing over the last 35 years - and notes that "America’s wealthiest citizens continue to outpace their global peers". In other words that gap continues to widen.

And we've known that for a long time. Like 35 years.

Forum List

Back