America's coming civil war -- makers vs. takers Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/op

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Listening, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    America's coming civil war -- makers vs. takers | Fox News

Those were Abe Lincoln’s words in his first inaugural in 1861, as America was running headlong into civil war. Now we’re a house divided again and another civil war is coming, with the 2012 election as its Gettysburg.

Call it America’s coming civil war between the Makers and the Takers.

On one side are those who create wealth, America’s private sector–the very ones targeted by President Obama’s tax hikes announced Monday.

On the other are the public employee unions; left-leaning intelligentsia who see the growth of government as index of progress; and the millions of Americans now dependent on government through a growing network of government transfer payments, from Medicaid and Social Security to college loans and corporate bailouts and handouts (think GM and Solyndra).

Over the past century America’s private sector has been the source of productivity, innovation, creativity, and growth–and gave us the iPhone and iPad. The public sector has been the engine of entitlement, stagnation, and decline -- and gave us Detroit and the South Bronx.

Read more: America's coming civil war -- makers vs. takers | Fox News

I somehow think that the left believes there is legitimacy to the growing number of people on government programs.

Just like the third and fourth generation welfare folks I knew in CA who got together right after the checks showed up and celebrated with a bag of weed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. bobcollum

bobcollum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,003
    ^ Tried hard to not say Liberals vs Conservatives, but didn't quite pull it off. :thup:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Huh?

4. bobcollum

bobcollum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,003
    :thup:

5. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Lets not go so far as to call it civil war but certainly between those of us who care about the United States and those that don't. Not that many of us are rich and I agree that those that are have a lot but most of them earned it. That is what this country is about, opportunity to get ahead on your own hard work, not get something handed to you.

6. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    I don't understand... Are you trying to make this nothing but a libturdz VS Republicraps thread so that you don't have to address the bigger issue that welfare in this country has made it impossible to balance a budget, even for states?

7. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    The private sector built the strongest economy in the world. It armed the free world in World War Two, and then in the three decades after the war turned America into the most prosperous society history had ever seen. It revived America in the Reagan and Clinton years, and thanks to the Bush tax cuts brought this country back from economic collapse after 9/11.

In those same years a growing public sector, by contrast, turned Europe into a cesspool of debt, stalled economies, and chronic social dysfunction that’s set the streets of Athens -- and perhaps other European capitals--on fire.

That’s where we’re headed, too, more rapidly than we like to think.

That public sector–state, local, and federal -- now consumes 40% of GDP, compared to 33% just twelve years ago. It’s brought us to the point where 48% of Americans are now on some form of government handout, from 44% when Obama took office–almost a fifth more than during the Reagan years. And too many of them have been programmed to believe they have no future unless the government takes more from the Makers -- precisely what Obama promised on Monday.

Read more: America's coming civil war -- makers vs. takers | Fox News

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,934
    Sorry guys.

Your Atlas Shrugged wet dream isn't going to happen, no matter how many hyperbolic op-eds you can find.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  9. bobcollum

bobcollum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,003
    No, that was the job of the op, I merely made note of it.

I wouldn't argue that spending on all fronts is beyond reasonable.

10. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Maybe it'll come in the form of a general tax revolt.

Never know....