Americans and Travel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by IceMan30, Oct 18, 2016.

1. THAI EXPAT

THAI EXPAT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I wrote a piece awhile back titled What is an American? I think I will publish it on this site tomorrow. It seems there are some on this site who don't know what an American is!

2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,424
    it's really annoying to talk to know it all foreigners too.

I like to travel but I hate travelling to big cities. To me a city is the most unpleasant part of a trip and is merely something to be endured on the way to the places I like to visit, wilderness areas especially.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,414
    “I was having dinner…in London…when eventually he got, as the Europeans always do, to the part about “Your country’s never been invaded.” And so I said, “Let me tell you who those bad guys are. They’re us. WE BE BAD. We’re the baddest-assed sons of bitches that ever jogged in Reeboks. We’re three-quarters grizzly bear and two-thirds car wreck and descended from a stock market crash on our mother’s side. You take your Germany, France, and Spain, roll them all together and it wouldn’t give us room to park our cars. We’re the big boys, Jack, the original, giant, economy-sized, new and improved butt kickers of all time. When we snort coke in Houston, people lose their hats in Cap d’Antibes. And we’ve got an American Express card credit limit higher than your piss-ant metric numbers go. You say our country’s never been invaded? You’re right, little buddy. Because I’d like to see the needle-dicked foreigners who’d have the guts to try. We drink napalm to get our hearts started in the morning. A rape and a mugging is our way of saying 'Cheerio.' Hell can’t hold our sock-hops.
    We walk taller, talk louder, spit further, fuck longer and buy more things than you know the names of. I’d rather be a junkie in a New York City jail than king, queen, and jack of all Europeans. We eat little countries like this for breakfast and shit them out before lunch.”

P.J. O'Rourke, Holidays in Hell

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,651
    Well, we were invaded that one time.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,379
    I was born in Florida. Dad was from Chicago. Mom was European. He met her after WW2 there.

We have lived in Illinois, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, California, Germany, and Morocco as well.

I have travelled to England, France, Switzerland, Greece, Israel, Fiji, and Mexico.

So yah, I get around.

6. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,379
    I would not mind seeing Istanbul and the ancient ruins of Troy in Turkey.

7. malnila

malnila Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had the great fortune of taking a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago and took a side trip to Ephesus in Turkey. Turkey is beautiful and now I want to see even more.

8. malnila

malnila Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Unk(whatever), my post was meant that SOME American tourists travel on the expectation that everything should be just like at home instead of learning about different cultures and respecting that you're in their house, not yours. We all can benefit from learning new things from others but you won't if you think that there should only be a McDonald's, Coco's, and Olive Garden on every corner. Lighten up....sheesh.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,443
    There are lots of places there. I went by train from Izmir on the way to Ephesus, walked past the Temple of Artemis, I didn't even know it was there until I stumbled upon it. I also went to Pergamum, a fortress on a hill, you can walk through the streets there too, but almost no one is there.

10. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,443
    Usually there is a McDonald's on every corner...