american public schools

Discussion in 'Education' started by manu1959, Jan 14, 2006.

1. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    suck because of the unions and a lack of competiton.....

prove my statement wrong

2. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I don't disagree.. Many of the parents of todays school children suck too. So when their kids underachieve, they bitch that George W is leaving their kids behind.

There is no real accountability in public ed.. My writing skills suck. I had an old maid drunk for English during a couple of years in highschool. And she sucked too. The school administration knew she was a crack pot, but they cared more about politics and thier own image. PTOs and PTAs??? I have little use for the groups because of what I have seen them back and petition for.. The two groups are basicaly stooges for the teachers, at least around these parts.

Dumbing down for the least bright is what I feel is going on.. Therefore, the colleges have to dumb down too, at least the public universities.. In my four year school, ,there was only a couple of classes that I felt were college level.. The rest were high school type/caliber. One of the big draws for the school is its ability to create teachers.. That college sucks. You now have teachers who missed the bar, and probably won't set high ones for their students..

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    That would be like trying to prove that Jesus was a hindu. You could do it, but it wouldnt mean that its true.

Add to the list of culprits the politicians that raise taxes every year in the name of "the children" and throw some of the money at the schools and the rest to their pockets.

4. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Absolutely correct, but incomplete.

I would add:
    American public schools suck because school districts are afraid of lawsuits, and therefore do not impose effective discipline.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'll vouch for that---my kid says that his worst teachers are the ones who cannot (or will not) control their class. Discipline would do wonders but the law has made it difficult for parents and teachers.

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    This is a big part of it. But I would also add that the subject material, "innovative" teaching methods, and lowering of standards are the other half.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    We should have an "Education" forum.

8. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    as a teacher...i'd like to add a couple...

I don't think that the union plays as big a part as some here would like to make it out to be. I don't particularly like the union...however, teachers DO need protection in the enviroment we now find ourselves in...and school districts (as some have pointed out) are too afraid of lawsuits to protect us.

Add to this the fact that many parents are either too busy or simply do not care about being involved in their child's educations anymore...in the past...if a teacher said, "You haven't been doing your homework, I'm calling your mother..." the child would know that when he got home he was going to have to deal with parents who were furious at HIM for not doing his homework and making the teacher have to call home.

When I call home now...I here a few responses....

1) Well he just doesn't want to do his homework...and I don't want to fight with him when I get home from work...

2) He told me that you told him that he had to do extra homework because he talks too much in class. Who are you to tell my child he talks to much and he won't be doing any homework until the principal assures me that you aren't picking on him.

3) He tells me he does it. I want to show I trust him.

4) Hi, you've reached the Jones residence...we can't come to the phone right now because both of us work until 8PM...but if you leave us a 3rd or 4th message, we assure you that you will not here from us until we get a report card that shows 3 failing grades...and then we'll call and yell at you for not letting us know.

Teachers, in many ways, have their hands tied. If they teach the way they should be...firm discipline, high standards...then the school gets calls about the mean teacher who assigns too much work and the school asks the teacher to scale back (or all of the students start to fail...and under No Child Left Behind the teacher gets in trouble for the students failing)....so instead...the teacher scales back...assigns fewer homework assingments because half of the kids won't do them anyway...dumbs down tests to appease parents and administrators...

I understand why many of you are frustrated...I am too. But blaming the teachers is, in my opinion as someone presently on the front lines...a big mistake. I think that privitazation might be a potential solution...but I do not think anything is going to happen until we as a society start making parents act like parents...and stop allowing anyone to sue for any reason under the sun.

9. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I agree with all of the above, and I'll add that teacher's salaries are much lower than they should be. When the janitors that scrap gum off the desks and mop vomit off the floor are making more money than the teachers who are suppose to be preparing the kids for the future, something isn't right.

10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I totally agree that teachers have it rough many times. My daughter's teacher (in the "fuzzy math" thread) is frustrated with the "new math." I could tell by the way she rolled her eyes when I asked her how they were going to do subtraction. My sister is a special ed Kgarten teacher. She has been through a lawsuit bc a kid's parents WANTED him labeled "special," and my sister said he was completely normal. Just needed someone to pay attention to him.

The frustration I feel about the union is all these "new" methods. I'm not opposed to making learning fun with activities, or trying new things for kids who have trouble learning the traditional way. I think that's great. But it seems like teachers are FORCED to teach material or methods that they don't agree with/know don't work.