American, 50% of our citizens are poor or low income. Shame!

To quell the hysteria and lies by the conservatives I will post below the first four paragraphs of the article:

"Squeezed by rising living costs, a record number of Americans — nearly 1 in 2 — have fallen into poverty or are scraping by on earnings that classify them as low income.

"The latest census data depict a middle class that's shrinking as unemployment stays high and the government's safety net frays. The new numbers follow years of stagnating wages for the middle class that have hurt millions of workers and families."

"Safety net programs such as food stamps and tax credits kept poverty from rising even higher in 2010, but for many low-income families with work-related and medical expenses, they are considered too 'rich' to qualify," said Sheldon Danziger, a University of Michigan public policy professor who specializes in poverty.

"The reality is that prospects for the poor and the near poor are dismal," he said. "If Congress and the states make further cuts, we can expect the number of poor and low-income families to rise for the next several years."

To read the full article see the OP for the link.

\Why do conservatives lie? Because that's what conservatives must do, the truth would set them afire.

No one wrote that 50% of our citizens are poor, Sammyboy.

See, here's the problem with you conservatives, you're all basically dishonest. You clowns live by the half-truth, rumor, innuendo and big lie so often you can't distinguish reality from the fantasy which invaded your head.

So Sammie, when did they lift the hold? Where you in restraints this time? Keep up with the meds and take care of yourself, no one else will.

Another lie.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

Who typed the title, dimwit?
American, 50% of our citizens are poor or low income. Shame

To quell the hysteria and lies by the conservatives I will post below the first four paragraphs of the article:

"Squeezed by rising living costs, a record number of Americans — nearly 1 in 2 — have fallen into poverty or are scraping by on earnings that classify them as low income.

"The latest census data depict a middle class that's shrinking as unemployment stays high and the government's safety net frays. The new numbers follow years of stagnating wages for the middle class that have hurt millions of workers and families."

"Safety net programs such as food stamps and tax credits kept poverty from rising even higher in 2010, but for many low-income families with work-related and medical expenses, they are considered too 'rich' to qualify," said Sheldon Danziger, a University of Michigan public policy professor who specializes in poverty.

"The reality is that prospects for the poor and the near poor are dismal," he said. "If Congress and the states make further cuts, we can expect the number of poor and low-income families to rise for the next several years."

\Why do conservatives lie? Because that's what conservatives must do, the truth would set them afire.

Where is this data?
And, how is it contrary to the data I've posted?

No one wrote that 50% of our citizens are poor, Sammyboy.

See, here's the problem with you conservatives, you're all basically dishonest. You clowns live by the half-truth, rumor, innuendo and big lie so often you can't distinguish reality from the fantasy which invaded your head.

So Sammie, when did they lift the hold? Where you in restraints this time? Keep up with the meds and take care of yourself, no one else will.

Another lie.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

Who typed the title, dimwit?
American, 50% of our citizens are poor or low income. Shame

A claim that hasn't been proven, regardless of how many times you c/p it.

Just because a financial commentator for Yahoo types it doesn't make it fact.

THIS is a linked and supported fact:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/historical/hstpov4.xls

Following the recession that began in late 2007, the share of working families who are low income has risen for three straight years to 31.2 percent, or 10.2 million. That proportion is the highest in at least a decade, up from 27 percent in 2002, according to a new analysis by the Working Poor Families Project and the Population Reference Bureau, a nonprofit research group based in Washington.

Among low-income families, about one-third were considered poor while the remainder — 6.9 million — earned income just above the poverty line. Many states phase out eligibility for food stamps, Medicaid, tax credit and other government aid programs for low-income Americans as they approach 200 percent of the poverty level.

The majority of low-income families — 62 percent — spent more than one-third of their earnings on housing, surpassing a common guideline for what is considered affordable. By some census surveys, child-care costs consume close to another one-fifth when a mother works.

Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income - Yahoo! Finance

No, that is not a linked and supported fact. That is a link to a download. You don't bother to even say which page of the download you're referencing. Fail.

Straight from the US Census website:
Poverty Data - Historical Poverty Tables: Families - U.S Census Bureau

No, that is not a linked and supported fact. That is a link to a download. You don't bother to even say which page of the download you're referencing. Fail.

Still the same problem.

Still the same problem.

I don't know what to tell ya, dude.
I can't help it if you're scared to download real data from a government website.
All the numbers are there.
None of them are near the 50% threshold.

I guess that's convenient for you two.
If you refuse to look at the information you don't have to dispute it.

I can't help it if you're scared to download real data from a government website.

My computer won't download it. Sorry.

The article shows the basis for the claim. Yet you're calling someone a liar for posting it. :cuckoo:

Still the same problem.

My computer won't download it. Sorry.

The article shows the basis for the claim. Yet you're calling someone a liar for posting it. :cuckoo:

Free Excel Viewer

That possibility never crossed my mind until now.
I never registered my Excel so I can't c/p data from the page.
I've used the viewer before (if you can download it) it works great.

Never, in the several times I posted the link, did Wry suggest that he couldn't view it so that leads me to believe that he's being intentionally dishonest.

The article's *writer* says there's a basis for the claim but doesn;t make the connection.

I un-istalled Chrome a few days ago and it was taking too long to re-install, but here's a screenshot:

Image1-15.jpg

I appreciate the effort you put into that at my request, but I can't make out much of it.

Thank you.

The article does say "poor and low income", and not just poor. Low income is defined as 100 to 199 percent of poverty level.

Thank you.

The article does say "poor and low income", and not just poor. Low income is defined as 100 to 199 percent of poverty level.

Hate to pick at straws but the title says poor OR low income ;)

I suppose if we were to combine the number of people below the poverty level with those considered low income we MIGHT reach 50%.

But, for the life of me, I can't find the Census' definition of low income or any data on how many there are.
And since the OP article doesn't link us to it, **shrug**.

I will downgrade this from "pants on fire" to "Pinocchio" until I see something to support the low income figures.

Thanks for the fair back&forth.
Beats being called stupid.
:cool:

Forum List

Back