America Without God: No 'Moral Facts'

Could be a good topic...regretfully, I treat PChic's posts like Emily posts...I read the first sentence, start to glaze over and then feel the need to relieve myself. Could be a gem of a post...too bad she has to write a boring novella.

Agree ... Does anyone actually read PC, Flanders, Emily or that Spetch freak?

"Define "murder" and what is bad (or good) about it.
Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

No....I'm merely attempting to educate you."

That pretty much sums it up.

She actually believes she is an authority on "god's authority" and will now wander and meander around, not making much sense but telling us that we're stupid for not getting her weird point of view.

Her knowledge does not compare with her ego.

She is one angry little adopted asian girl

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein
If we lived in a society where illegal immigrant mexicans were crossing the border and raping our daughters I bet you we would rethink the whole "thou shall not murder" rule.

"But...without the authority of God, there are no moral facts.....only opinions...and any opinion can be countered with another opinion."

Oh, so that makes me the mass murderer.

You're welcome to your idiotic opinions but don't pretend you're interested in a conversation. Every single one of your posts is loaded with your usual insults.

This is just SSDD from our resident home schooled, fundie nutter.
Define "murder" and what is bad (or good) about it.
Who says?
Our society says its wrong. Did you really need to read thou shall not murder to know its wrong?

That's funny....the way you dispute your own post.

Didn't you post this: "Muslims believe in moral facts too."

I knew this would happen when they stopped teaching logic.
The point is we dont need a cult or god to know right and wrong.

Could be a good topic...regretfully, I treat PChic's posts like Emily posts...I read the first sentence, start to glaze over and then feel the need to relieve myself. Could be a gem of a post...too bad she has to write a boring novella.

Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

She actually believes she is an authority on "god's authority" and will now wander and meander around, not making much sense but telling us that we're stupid for not getting her weird point of view.

It is Sunday...why isn't she at church?

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein
I have to admit belief in heaven and hell does probably stop a lot of people from doing all kinds of bad things. But it also gets people to do bad things too like suicide bombers.

Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

I ask this every sunday

God is not proven therefore the authority of YOUR morals stands on shaky ground.

My morals come from human experience and reasoning.

Amd so do the bible's if the bible was simply written by men as a means of mind control, which im fairly certain it was.

Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

I ask this every sunday
I am Christian...I go to Church every Sunday and have a strong set of ethical standards because of my relationship with Jesus. It bothers me when pseud-Christians spew nonsense on the interweb and don't even go to church!

"But...without the authority of God, there are no moral facts.....only opinions...and any opinion can be countered with another opinion."

You're welcome to your idiotic opinions but don't pretend you're interested in a conversation. Every single one of your posts is loaded with your usual insults.

Who says?
Our society says its wrong. Did you really need to read thou shall not murder to know its wrong?

"Our society says it's wrong."

You dope......that means that it isn't wrong for other societies.
You still don't get it?
That's the point.....it's an opinion rather than a moral fact if there is no God stating that it is wrong for every society.

And, our secular philosopher, writing in the NYTimes, continues:

8. "I went home and Googled “fact vs. opinion.”The definitions I found online were substantially the same as the one in my son’s classroom. As it turns out, the Common Core standards used by a majority of K-12 programs in the country require that students be able to distinguish among fact, opinion, and reasoned judgment in a text.” And the Common Core institute provides a helpful page full of links to definitions, lesson plans and quizzes to ensure that students can tell the difference between facts and opinions.

So what’s wrong with this distinction and how does it undermine the view that there are objective moral facts?

First, the definition of a fact waffles between truth and proof — two obviously different features. Things can be true even if no one can prove them. ... it could be true that there is life elsewhere in the universe even though no one can prove it.

... students are taught that claims are either facts or opinions. They are given quizzes in which they must sort claims into one camp or the other but not both. But if a fact is something that is true and an opinion is something that is believed, then many claims will obviously be both. " http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...ildren-dont-think-there-are-moral-facts/?_r=0

Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

I ask this every sunday
I am Christian...I go to Church every Sunday and have a strong set of ethical standards because of my relationship with Jesus. It bothers me when pseud-Christians spew nonsense on the interweb and don't even go to church!
If they went to church would it be OK then?

Why aren't you at church now?

619aec57294a08ca2875c9f580a07fe1.jpg

Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

I ask this every sunday
If they went to church would it be OK then?

Why aren't you at church now?
I tend to go with the belief...don't feed your faith to the trolls.

As for church...I go to the 11:30 service. I will be leaving in about an hour.

1. I was listening to Dennis Prager on the radio, and he referred to this NYTimes piece by a secular philosopher, called "Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts."

Well, the first thing you did wrong was listen to a mutant like Dennis Prager... but let's move on.

2. Most children who weren't brought up in a religious household, with a clear recognition of God, fail to recognize the difference between moral facts, and opinions.

While the author of the article bemoans, as do most of us, that"the overwhelming majority of college freshmen in their classrooms view moral claims as mere opinions that are not true or are true only relative to a culture" he fails to grasp the reason for this situation..

Bullshit. I've known religious people who were the most backstabbing pieces of shit I've ever met in my my life. I've known atheists I'd trust with my life.

The real problem is that most kids look at religious folks with a stick up their ass about sex, and just find their morals laughable.

Never trust anyone who feels it necessary to tell you what a good christian they are. The moment I see this kind of preaching, I know to guard my back and my wallet.

Real Christians are known by their actions, not their condescending lecturing and thumping.

Who says?"

Huh?

"Conversation????

See if you notice the difference when moral facts are accepted:

"The dhimmi left largely refuses to mention it, so I will. Homosexuals are, right now, actually being “lawfully executed” in Iran and other Muslim nations across the globe. To my fellow followers of Christ, I say this: They need our fervent prayers, deepest sympathies and unconditional support. Not in affirmation of their sexual sin, which the homosexual lifestyle remains, but because they are victims of Islam – because they are deeply loved by their Creator, Christ Jesus, who wants desperately for them to repent, accept Him and believe upon His Holy Name."
Gays and the Muslims who kill them

For some societies what we might call murder isn't considered wrong, lokevsay stoning a gay man

Or some might consider killings we commit to be murder, like say injecting a killer with poison

So who is right?

1. I was listening to Dennis Prager on the radio, and he referred to this NYTimes piece by a secular philosopher, called "Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts."

Well, the first thing you did wrong was listen to a mutant like Dennis Prager... but let's move on.

2. Most children who weren't brought up in a religious household, with a clear recognition of God, fail to recognize the difference between moral facts, and opinions.

While the author of the article bemoans, as do most of us, that"the overwhelming majority of college freshmen in their classrooms view moral claims as mere opinions that are not true or are true only relative to a culture" he fails to grasp the reason for this situation..

Bullshit. I've known religious people who were the most backstabbing pieces of shit I've ever met in my my life. I've known atheists I'd trust with my life.

The real problem is that most kids look at religious folks with a stick up their ass about sex, and just find their morals laughable.

Never trust anyone who feels it necessary to tell you what a good christian they are. The moment I see this kind of preaching, I know to guard my back and my wallet.

Real Christians are known by their actions, not their condescending lecturing and thumping.

"...tell you what a good christian they are."

You're not suggesting that I've ever done that.....are you?

'Cause if you are, it would be eminently simple for me to prove that you were lying.

Who says?

"Our society says it's wrong."

You dope......

Your god must be very proud that you are following his teachings with your egotistical, know-it-all, holier-than-thou name calling and insults, always calling people stupid, dumb, "dope".

Did you learn that in Sunday school?

For some societies what we might call murder isn't considered wrong, lokevsay stoning a gay man

Or some might consider killings we commit to be murder, like say injecting a killer with poison

So who is right?

You're not serious...are you?

Let's just agree that you're a dope.

Forum List

Back