Am I alone in thinking wikileaks is a GOOD thing?

Feb 28, 2009
The Fourth Estate has become the Fifth Column, nobody's watch-dogging our government.... This makes them not only careless but also more corrupt. Wikileaks is providing a valuable service that the US Press abandoned. I have donated and I urge everyone else to do so.

Cuss and discuss.....

I would agree with you if they were more responsible about what they did. They shouldn't be releasing raw data into the wild. Names of Iraqis that helped Americans..names of troops and the like put real live people in danger.

• Banned
I would agree with you if they were more responsible about what they did. They shouldn't be releasing raw data into the wild. Names of Iraqis that helped Americans..names of troops and the like put real live people in danger.
Thus far I am unable to find anything like that on their site, and only seen reports of it in the media -- then tried to verify the information and couldn't.

I have spent many, many hours on their site, trying to find such.

I find what they do really damaging. If the information is legitimate it should be released to the proper Authority, and investigated. There is no excuse for releasing Classified Information.

• Banned
Aren't you blame shifting there, Sallow? Intense? The US Government should SAFEGUARD such information. They should be much more careful who gets access.

We shoot the messenger now? It's hardly wikileaks fault that the information was obtained.

Never heard these complaints about the Pentagon Papers, for example.

Aren't you blame shifting there, Sallow? Intense? The US Government should SAFEGUARD such information. They should be much more careful who gets access.

We shoot the messenger now? It's hardly wikileaks fault that the information was obtained.

There was a draft in place then. It makes a bit of a difference.

• Banned

No, it makes no difference at all. No one blamed the leaker then, why blame them now?

It's the GOVERNMENT not SAFEGUARDING sensitive information, that should be getting 100% of the blame.

I find what they do really damaging. If the information is legitimate it should be released to the proper Authority, and investigated. There is no excuse for releasing Classified Information.

I agree. Anyone who hasn't considered the real implications of such leaks is clearly an idiot. The damage to our ability to share confidential information with other countries has been severely damaged.... that alone could lead to more terrorist attacks. What country is going to share information with us now? Seriously.

Everyone involved should be charged with treason and, when convicted, should face the DP.

First off..huge portions of the Pentagon Papers were redacted. That's because there was input from the Pentagon.

It's extremely difficult to lock down everything. The onus is on the government, true. But I think the power to classify information is overly broad. Our government should not be able to keep internal "crimes" from getting reported on..and possible crimes overseas. Indeed, it was reporting on those kind of things that aided in bring the Vietnamese conflict to a close.

But that shouldn't make raw data available to the public at large. Especially when there are names involved. And some of this raw data can be taken completely out of context. It was poor form, to the say the least, to release this without even conferring with any authority whatsoever.

Last edited:
If the information is SO sensitive and potentially damaging, how the fuck is it that a PRIVATE had access? Security clearance at such levels should be restricted to COMMISSIONED OFFICERS at the very least.

It's the government folks, not wikileaks. Yes, the military leaker should be prosecuted. But we should not be blaming wikileaks for what they do with information THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE.

My $1,000 I sent them is small, but every penny counts.

I agree. Anyone who hasn't considered the real implications of such leaks is clearly an idiot. The damage to our ability to share confidential information with other countries has been severely damaged.... that alone could lead to more terrorist attacks. What country is going to share information with us now? Seriously.

Everyone involved should be charged with treason and, when convicted, should face the DP.
So long as we blame the persons responsible for the information getting out. NOT wikileaks.

Again, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. You can't unring the bell. You wanted wikileaks to go to the GOVERNMENT and say, "Hey, look at all this stuff we have. Can we publish it?"

C'mon now....

If the information is SO sensitive and potentially damaging, how the fuck is it that a PRIVATE had access? Security clearance at such levels should be restricted to COMMISSIONED OFFICERS at the very least.

It's the government folks, not wikileaks. Yes, the military leaker should be prosecuted. But we should not be blaming wikileaks for what they do with information THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE.

It's wikileaks. And it's anyone else who passed the information along. They are all traitors to our country. I'm dumbfounded that anyone thinks committing treason against our nation is ok.

It's wikileaks. And it's anyone else who passed the information along. They are all traitors to our country. I'm dumbfounded that anyone thinks committing treason against our nation is ok.
Wikileaks isn't a traitor, the dude isn't an American, to start with.

The service member who obtained and leaked the material? Yes, a traitor right there and should be treated as such. The idiots who failed to monitor him should get the Article 32 as well.

But it stops there. Otherwise? You get a good excuse now for the government to do what? Oh yeah, what they want to do. Seize and control the internet.

Think.

No, it makes no difference at all. No one blamed the leaker then, why blame them now?

It's the GOVERNMENT not SAFEGUARDING sensitive information, that should be getting 100% of the blame.
:confused: It is totally different. People were being forced to die for some stupidity.

Either way, it is not the government's fault that people engage in potentially traitorous actions. Do you blame rape victims also? :cuckoo:

:confused: It is totally different. People were being forced to die for some stupidity.

Either way, it is not the government's fault that people engage in potentially traitorous actions. Do you blame rape victims also? :cuckoo:
You wish to blame wikileaks? How silly and infantile.

Who was in charge of safeguarding the information?

Actually I blame the people that gave the information to wikileaks.

Anyone who says that wikileaks is evil, riddle me this.

How much of the information is particularly new? All wikileaks is doing is the job of the media. One would figure after the lies of the government got us into Iraq, people would want more transparency from their government. I guess not though. Relationships with other countries based on a foundation of lies seems to be the preferred choice. :eusa_eh:

How are they traitors? Julian isn't American, what loyalty does he have to this nation?

Also:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...be-overstating-the-danger-from-wikileaks.html
Again, I tried very hard and failed to find any such, names and all of that, on the wikileaks site. This is after hours and hours of trying. The "dangerous" information simply isn't there.

Direct link to the article, for those concerned:

Officials may be overstating the danger from WikiLeaks | McClatchy

Actually I blame the people that gave the information to wikileaks.
Very good. We agree.

Forum List

Back