Am I alone in thinking wikileaks is a GOOD thing?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Midnight Marauder, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    The Fourth Estate has become the Fifth Column, nobody's watch-dogging our government.... This makes them not only careless but also more corrupt. Wikileaks is providing a valuable service that the US Press abandoned. I have donated and I urge everyone else to do so.

Cuss and discuss.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  2. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    I would agree with you if they were more responsible about what they did. They shouldn't be releasing raw data into the wild. Names of Iraqis that helped Americans..names of troops and the like put real live people in danger.

3. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Thus far I am unable to find anything like that on their site, and only seen reports of it in the media -- then tried to verify the information and couldn't.

I have spent many, many hours on their site, trying to find such.

4. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I find what they do really damaging. If the information is legitimate it should be released to the proper Authority, and investigated. There is no excuse for releasing Classified Information.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Aren't you blame shifting there, Sallow? Intense? The US Government should SAFEGUARD such information. They should be much more careful who gets access.

We shoot the messenger now? It's hardly wikileaks fault that the information was obtained.

Never heard these complaints about the Pentagon Papers, for example.

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,823
    There was a draft in place then. It makes a bit of a difference.

7. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    No, it makes no difference at all. No one blamed the leaker then, why blame them now?

It's the GOVERNMENT not SAFEGUARDING sensitive information, that should be getting 100% of the blame.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I agree. Anyone who hasn't considered the real implications of such leaks is clearly an idiot. The damage to our ability to share confidential information with other countries has been severely damaged.... that alone could lead to more terrorist attacks. What country is going to share information with us now? Seriously.

Everyone involved should be charged with treason and, when convicted, should face the DP.

9. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    First off..huge portions of the Pentagon Papers were redacted. That's because there was input from the Pentagon.

It's extremely difficult to lock down everything. The onus is on the government, true. But I think the power to classify information is overly broad. Our government should not be able to keep internal "crimes" from getting reported on..and possible crimes overseas. Indeed, it was reporting on those kind of things that aided in bring the Vietnamese conflict to a close.

But that shouldn't make raw data available to the public at large. Especially when there are names involved. And some of this raw data can be taken completely out of context. It was poor form, to the say the least, to release this without even conferring with any authority whatsoever.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  10. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    If the information is SO sensitive and potentially damaging, how the fuck is it that a PRIVATE had access? Security clearance at such levels should be restricted to COMMISSIONED OFFICERS at the very least.

It's the government folks, not wikileaks. Yes, the military leaker should be prosecuted. But we should not be blaming wikileaks for what they do with information THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE.

My $1,000 I sent them is small, but every penny counts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1