All things of The Hobbit movies

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
BOLG_ORC_HOBBIT__1200_873_81_s.jpg

Bolg as you'll see him in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. He's the son of Azog the Defiler, the pale white orc introduced in An Unexpected Journey, and he's actually in the book The Hobbit, where he plays a role in the Battle of the Five Armies at the end. You'll notice that Bolg is CGI, just like Azog.

Here ^ is Bolg as he appeared on set.

That's Conan Stevens under that make-up. He was also originally cast to play Azog, who was also painted out of the movie. You may know Conan as The Mountain Who Rides in Game of Thrones; he left that show to shoot a trilogy of movies in which he will not appear.
(Big & Tall Actor - 7ft, Muscular, Stunt Experience, Recognized Actor - Conan Stevens)

CG Bolg, like CG Azog, is kind of generic-looking, a fairly boring orc. The practical Bolg is absolutely awesome, his skull held together by metal bands and his big, red beard adding a splash of bloody color to him. The CG Bolg has studs in his head, indicating he also has a fractured skull, but they don't have the power of those bands. CG Bolg is also wearing less armor, losing the bulky authority of the practical design.

Bolg.gif

See The Awesome Practical Orc Who Was Painted Over In DESOLATION OF SMAUG Birth.Movies.Death.

Last edited:
I must say i wish they'd do reruns of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in theaters and I'd bet they'd make billions all over gain. Vigo Mortensen was by FAR the best actor for Aragorn to ever walk the earth. He's also a brilliant totally underrated actor out there in hollywood period. He'd make EVERY movie great.

• Lee auditioned for the part of Gandalf, but (it is assumed) his age lost him the role.
  • Christopher Lee re-read Lord of the Rings (LOTR) every year.
  • Lee was the only actor of The Lord of the Rings who had ever met Tolkien.
  • During the filming of his death scene in The Return of the King, Peter Jackson began to coach him how to react when Saruman is stabbed in the back by Grima (Brad Dourif), but Lee interrupted him, reminding him that Lee actually had heard the sound a man makes when he is stabbed in the back.
Sir Christopher Lee - Lord of the Rings Wiki

RIP

Saruman_the_White_9.png

Forum List

Back