ALL-FEMALE engineer team designed the Miami bridge that collapsed last week

Some reports have said the cable stays were just for show. I've installed pipes on the exterior of a building that were part of an architectural screen and had no process or structural function.

The span length doesn't look long enough to need cable staying.

Sure, you go with that.

While my degree is in chemical, not civil engineering I take enough cross-discipline continuing education to probably qualify more than you to have an opinion on this.

What i am trying to say is the lack of installation of the stays, if they were non-structural, has nothing to do with the collapse.

Edit:

From wikipedia:

The full 320-foot-long (98 m) pedestrian overpass was to cross both a major roadway and a parallel water canal with two separate spans connected at a faux cable-stay tower.

Florida International University pedestrian bridge collapse - Wikipedia

Thanks for the info. That gives more detail than I had seen before. I was under the impression that the collapsed section was the entire bridge, and there was a support structure designed for midway of that span. 174 Ft is certainly long enough to require cable support, depending on the design. We can offer conjecture all we want, but as I said before, we will eventually know the whole story. It's important for them to determine the exact cause of the collapse, and to distribute that information as widely as possible to prevent future tragedies.

174 ft for a truss bridge is well within the structural loading capabilities, of steel. Here they used concrete in a novel way, and who know if this contributed to the problem.

One obvious fuck-up was allowing traffic to continue during a tensioning activity. This is something they should have done at night with the road closed,

I'm confident that the design was vetted to several times the expected maximum stress. They usually don't just throw up a structure and hope it will work. I'm guessing some questionable installation procedures. Of course, until the investigation is complete, anything you or I might think is just conjecture.

The Kansas City Hyatt collapse was caused by an improper installation, but THAT was caused by a designed installation that was nearly impossible to do.

The only real evidence we have so far is:

1. The span fell from one side, which dragged down the rest of structure
2. There were noticeable cracks in the area of the failure.
3. The installer was performing tensioning when the failure started
4. During the tensioning, traffic was not prevented from driving under the installed span.

What we don't know about the above is:

1. What type of cracks were they (surface or structural)
2. Where in the tensioning process they were

gender coincidence or gender conspiracy? it isn't like guys have never had Any accidents.

I'm sure men have designed faulty bridges also. But they were hired on merit not because they were men.

After failure like this, I wonder are men gonna be hired again because they're man.

Let's hope after a failure like this we start hiring people based on their ability, instead of their sex and race.

gender coincidence or gender conspiracy? it isn't like guys have never had Any accidents.

I'm sure men have designed faulty bridges also. But they were hired on merit not because they were men.

After failure like this, I wonder are men gonna be hired again because they're man.

Let's hope after a failure like this we start hiring people based on their ability, instead of their sex and race.

Their sex and race were their abilities. :D

I know female architects and engineers, OP is wrong. The top Engineer in the country is a female.
I think his point is that less qualified females were given the jobs over better qualified people because of their sex.

Who knows, maybe they were most qualified at the time?

Nope.

How do you know? Are all women just less competent than any man?

These women were proven to be incompetent..before this particular structure collapsed.

And onto ignore you go.

Block, ignore, report, block, ignore, report. That's my strategy for dealing with disingenuous lefty trolls online. I am not interested in giving you attention or drawing attention to you or hits to your stupid propaganda.

I know female architects and engineers, OP is wrong. The top Engineer in the country is a female.
I think his point is that less qualified females were given the jobs over better qualified people because of their sex.

Who knows, maybe they were most qualified at the time?

Nope.

How do you know? Are all women just less competent than any man?

Nobody even remotely suggested that.

Those who were hired just because they're women most likely are.

One obvious fuck-up was allowing traffic to continue during a tensioning activity. This is something they should have done at night with the road closed,

HAHAHA. There was no "tensioning activity" you fool. That's a lie from the gover-media to avoid talking about why vital jobs like bridge building are handed out by race or sex. Affirmative action kills.

HAHAHA. There was no "tensioning activity" you fool. That's a lie from the gover-media to avoid talking about why vital jobs like bridge building are handed out by race or sex. Affirmative action kills.

um. no.

National Transportation Safety Board released their latest findings Wednesday saying in part, “The investigative team has confirmed that workers were adjusting tension on the two tensioning rods located in the diagonal member at the north end of the span when the bridge collapsed.”

Florida Bridge Collapse: Workers Were Adjusting Tension When It Collapsed, NTSB Says

These fat, incompetent, Cuban ladies were given special preference because they have vaginas and speak Spanish. It's ridiculous and the result is now dead bodies and a massive failure.

The 8A program - . About the 8(a) Business Development Program | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov - is a joke.

Why are we rewarding incompetence? "We the People" should award contracts based on merit, PERIOD.

Return bridge building to Chinese. :D
we need to give our "math Persons", more challenges.

it used to take several years using wind tunnels and scale models, to discover the most efficient engine placement on a given airplane.

modern technology can give us, virtual, "snap in place" locations for any given specification.

it used to take several years using wind tunnels and scale models, to discover the most efficient engine placement on a given airplane.

modern technology can give us, virtual, "snap in place" locations for any given specification.
And that modern technology was given to us by men, right.? Women are pretty much useless at tech and only get jobs in it thru affirmative action.

And that modern technology was given to us by men, right.? Women are pretty much useless at tech and only get jobs in it thru affirmative action.
a function of Capitalism?

Capitalism??? No - it's a function of sexism. The doctrine that qualified men should be denied tech jobs so brainless bimbos can have the jobs.
What about the fad/fashion/fetish of the concept of the Damsel in Distress, who Always needs a Bailout?

Sure, you go with that.

While my degree is in chemical, not civil engineering I take enough cross-discipline continuing education to probably qualify more than you to have an opinion on this.

What i am trying to say is the lack of installation of the stays, if they were non-structural, has nothing to do with the collapse.

Edit:

From wikipedia:

The full 320-foot-long (98 m) pedestrian overpass was to cross both a major roadway and a parallel water canal with two separate spans connected at a faux cable-stay tower.

Florida International University pedestrian bridge collapse - Wikipedia

Thanks for the info. That gives more detail than I had seen before. I was under the impression that the collapsed section was the entire bridge, and there was a support structure designed for midway of that span. 174 Ft is certainly long enough to require cable support, depending on the design. We can offer conjecture all we want, but as I said before, we will eventually know the whole story. It's important for them to determine the exact cause of the collapse, and to distribute that information as widely as possible to prevent future tragedies.

174 ft for a truss bridge is well within the structural loading capabilities, of steel. Here they used concrete in a novel way, and who know if this contributed to the problem.

I'm confident that the design was vetted to several times the expected maximum stress. They usually don't just throw up a structure and hope it will work. I'm guessing some questionable installation procedures. Of course, until the investigation is complete, anything you or I might think is just conjecture.

The Kansas City Hyatt collapse was caused by an improper installation, but THAT was caused by a designed installation that was nearly impossible to do.

The only real evidence we have so far is:

1. The span fell from one side, which dragged down the rest of structure
2. There were noticeable cracks in the area of the failure.
3. The installer was performing tensioning when the failure started
4. During the tensioning, traffic was not prevented from driving under the installed span.

What we don't know about the above is:

1. What type of cracks were they (surface or structural)
2. Where in the tensioning process they were
Tensioner rod blew out while being tightened is what I heard....Broke near the crane where the workers were on top.

Capitalism??? No - it's a function of sexism. The doctrine that qualified men should be denied tech jobs so brainless bimbos can have the jobs.

I want to see proof that an all female engineering team designed this bridge. Your OP offered no such proof and all reports I’ve seen said that men were in charge of this project.

The only brainless bimbo here is you.

Forum List

Back