Alimony - Why does it happen?

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
Hello...I can't see all of the threads on the board right now because I have a good number of people on ignore, but can anyone (who is not on my ignore list (see signature)) explain why alimony happens? :)

... (This ellipses represents nothing negative but just a shortness for words.)

-

Last edited:
I have done not research on alimony, but have my thoughts on it....

"back in the day" the woman did not work, so, if a many just picked up and left, she was stuck with a house and no work skills..... so I think they set something up for situations like that.

I am not sure how it works now. If the person leaving automatically has to pay alimony regardless of the income etc. I have never been divorced so never have really looked into it.....

If your partner has not worked for x amount of years to raise kids or to play house wife then you may pay alimony for a time starting from separation. It's usually limited.

BTW, I like your topic discussions - I wondered why more people didn't participate, but now I know!

If your partner has not worked for x amount of years to raise kids or to play house wife then you may pay alimony for a time starting from separation. It's usually limited.

I see...thank you very much ma'am :) .

A1977

-

This is correct but basically a dying concept unless one is quite wealthy. Not many women are stay at home moms anymore. It is a supplement usually to women but not always who get divorced and the money helps even out the income between the two spouses. It is usually paid for an agreed amount of time and the amount is negotiated, not a set calculated formula like child support. Often this sum can be distributed in other ways as well like one spouse gets the home in exchange for the amount of alimony one would pay instead. It seems these days it isn't as common as it used to be because many women (was usually the woman who stayed at home with kids) each have jobs and the difference in incomes including child support calculated ends up being about even.

This is correct but basically a dying concept unless one is quite wealthy. Not many women are stay at home moms anymore. It is a supplement usually to women but not always who get divorced and the money helps even out the income between the two spouses. It is usually paid for an agreed amount of time and the amount is negotiated, not a set calculated formula like child support. Often this sum can be distributed in other ways as well like one spouse gets the home in exchange for the amount of alimony one would pay instead. It seems these days it isn't as common as it used to be because many women (was usually the woman who stayed at home with kids) each have jobs and the difference in incomes including child support calculated ends up being about even.

Did Brittney Spears' & Halle Berry's former husbands get alimony when they divorced?... :)

-

If something happened and we ended up getting divorced the prenuptial agreement would kick in. Seems only fair because I'm the one who insisted that she quit her job in the first place.

But once she finishes school she won't need any alimony.

If something happened and we ended up getting divorced the prenuptial agreement would kick in. Seems only fair because I'm the one who insisted that she quit her job in the first place.

Alimony is BS to me...women should not be outside of the workforce and everyone should take care of themselves, and share equal responsibility for their children I think.

-

Alimony is BS to me...women should not be outside of the workforce and everyone should take care of themselves, and share equal responsibility for their children I think.

-
Well, if she had continued working and going to school full time then we would not have very much time together at all.

The whole point of having her quit her job was so that we could spend more time together.

-
Well, if she had continued working and going to school full time then we would not have very much time together at all.

The whole point of having her quit her job was so that we could spend more time together.

"Had her" quit, ay? Husband tells wife what to do thingy, ay?...I don't believe in that either, NO disrespect meant.

-

In my case I am disabled and when I divorced the attorney told me no judge would sign off on a judgement in my case without alimony coming to me. I didn't ask for it, but I also do not receive child support. During my marriage I did work and all of my money went to pay off our home, which we did and I stayed home with our child and we were able to live on one income so I did contribute my fair share and because of the disease I have am not able to work.

In my case I am disabled and when I divorced the attorney told me no judge would sign off on a judgement in my case without alimony coming to me. I didn't ask for it, but I also do not receive child support. During my marriage I did work and all of my money went to pay off our home, which we did and I stayed home with our child and we were able to live on one income so I did contribute my fair share and because of the disease I have am not able to work.

Interesting...can I ask was it a choice of yours to retire from working to stay with the kids? :)

I would approach a marriage & procreation with predesign or preplanning for what to do in procreating.

If he instead retired to stay home with the child and you were not disabled, would you owe him alimony money, in your opinion :) ?

-

Interesting...can I ask was it a choice of yours to retire from working to stay with the kids? :)

I would approach a marriage & procreation with predesign or preplanning for what to do in procreating.

If he instead retired to stay home with the child and you were not disabled, would you owe him alimony money, in your opinion :) ?

-
It was a desire to stay home with the child. It isn't feasible much of the time in this day and age but we planned financially for the time when we did have a child. That didn't occur for 5 years. In that time we lived on one pay check the best we could to test it out to see if we could get by with just one person working and the money we saved from the experiment paid principal on the house. We were not wealthy by any means but knew how to bargain shop and live frugally. We prayed for a child but didn't have one for 5 years. When the child did come he got a raise right about that time that basically doubled his salary making it financially possible for me to stay home. I was already in a very bad place with the auto-immune disease by then but during pregnancy and nursing it slows. Besides me staying home for that reason the cost of child care would eat what money I did make so why miss out on the childhood of the only child I would have? I could manage everything at home for a very low cost...lower than hiring a babysitter, cook, housekeeper etc. If he stayed home I think I would owe him that but if he is able to work I do not understand why I would. I do not like getting it personally, it feels wrong but I also do not receive child support

-
It was a desire to stay home with the child. It isn't feasible much of the time in this day and age but we planned financially for the time when we did have a child. That didn't occur for 5 years. In that time we lived on one pay check the best we could to test it out to see if we could get by with just one person working and the money we saved from the experiment paid principal on the house. We were not wealthy by any means but knew how to bargain shop and live frugally. We prayed for a child but didn't have one for 5 years. When the child did come he got a raise right about that time that basically doubled his salary making it financially possible for me to stay home. I was already in a very bad place with the auto-immune disease by then but during pregnancy and nursing it slows. Besides me staying home for that reason the cost of child care would eat what money I did make so why miss out on the childhood of the only child I would have? I could manage everything at home for a very low cost...lower than hiring a babysitter, cook, housekeeper etc. If he stayed home I think I would owe him that but if he is able to work I do not understand why I would. I do not like getting it personally, it feels wrong but I also do not receive child support

So you're saying that if he had stayed home to take care of the child (and he was able to work today,) you *would* owe him alimony after the divorce because he stayed home with the child? :)

-

-

So you're saying that if he had stayed home to take care of the child (and he was able to work today,) you *would* owe him alimony after the divorce because he stayed home with the child? :)

-
Depends on what a court says. Would I owe child support if the child lived with him? Yes. I do not know many people who get alimony who are not wealthy. My case was unique. If I was able to work the idea of alimony would never be considered. Speaking from my own case specifically if I were not in the physical condition that I am I would not have been granted alimony. I didn't ask for it in the judgement. Do I need that money to make ends meet and provide for the child? Yes but I treat it like child support and it is used for her or household costs that support her living environment.

-

-
Depends on what a court says. Would I owe child support if the child lived with him? Yes. I do not know many people who get alimony who are not wealthy. My case was unique. If I was able to work the idea of alimony would never be considered. Speaking from my own case specifically if I were not in the physical condition that I am I would not have been granted alimony. I didn't ask for it in the judgement. Do I need that money to make ends meet and provide for the child? Yes but I treat it like child support and it is used for her or household costs that support her living environment.

Oh I see...Brittney Spears and Halle Berry paying alimony to their ex-husbands, what do you think about that? :)

-

-

-

Oh I see...Brittney Spears and Halle Berry paying alimony to their ex-husbands, what do you think about that? :)

-
Didn't know about it, none of my business. Like I mentioned....usually alimony is for those who are much more wealthy than the regular joe and was originally for those who were divorced after a certain period of time who established and growb accustomed to a certain standard of living and that money was to maintain that standard

Hello...I can't see all of the threads on the board right now because I have a good number of people on ignore, but can anyone (who is not on my ignore list (see signature)) explain why alimony happens? :)

-

Some people get done wrong by having to pay - court did not go right. The judge sided with the wrong person for some reason.

Some people ( men and women ) are well deserving of alimony. They were done wrong, treated very terribly.

Shadow 355

-

Some people get done wrong by having to pay - court did not go right. The judge sided with the wrong person for some reason.

Some people ( men and women ) are well deserving of alimony. They were done wrong, treated very terribly.

Shadow 355

Go Brittney and Halle's husbands if they got it! ( :lol: )

-

Forum List

Back