Alaska declares emergency for Native American languages

I am a bit surprised that so many conservatives are hostile to this initiative. I thought that you would support people trying to preserve their culture.
You feign surprise there Tommy. Nobody is hostile to it. Though the word “hostile” does carry an emotional charge. Like “emergency!” In the OP narrative.

Who decided on the new theme? Was it Mook Mafia? Soros?
Emergency is the correct word when only a handful of people speak the language. Once they are gone that is the end of it. Why are you trying to drag this issue into your nutty anti gay agenda ? This should be something that people can agree needs to be addressed.

The question is why it is a government issue. If people were that concerned get private money and form some sort of educational trust with regards to it.

Or go through the State University system for it.

I still remember the old joke:

Latin is a dead language
As dead as dead can be
First it killed the Romans
And now it's killing me.

Many tribes across the United States have or are losing their language, it isn’t being taught or used in the tribal schools and the tribe elders in many tribes are not using or promoting their language.
I’m not sure why the Indian tribes aren’t pushing it to those it would mean the most to.
They are. This is a great initiative.
Mission | Alaska Native Language Center

The center strives to raise public awareness of the gravity of language loss worldwide but particularly in the North. Of the state's twenty Native languages, only two (Siberian Yupik in two villages on St. Lawrence Island, and Central Yup'ik in seventeen villages in southwestern Alaska) are spoken by children as the first language of the home.

Like every language in the world, each of those twenty is of inestimable human value and is worthy of preservation. ANLC, therefore, continues to document, cultivate, and promote those languages as much as possible and thus contribute to their future and to the heritage of all Alaskans.

Alaska isn’t the only place losing their native language, many tribes in the states have their language dying. They failed to pass it down or the children did not see the benefit of carrying on the language. This tribe in Alaska didn’t see the importance of their language and culture until there were only five people left speaking the language, seems very shortsighted by the native Americans. I hope they can preserve it.

Alaska Native languages - Wikipedia

It was only after American colonization when missionary and General Agent of Education of the Alaska Territory Sheldon Jackson arrived in Alaska in 1885 did the use of native Alaska languages start to plummet. Jackson implemented an "English Only" policy within the school, legal, and political systems, and any violation to the rule was met with physical and mental punishments and abuse. In 1924, the Alaska Voter's Literacy Act was passed, which demanded native Alaskan citizens to pass an English literacy test before earning the right to vote. This act further decreased the use of Native Alaska languages. Today, many of the Native Alaska languages are either on the brink of extinction or already extinct.[6]

I know that its wikipedia but this rings true. People were actively discouraged from using the language. We had that in Wales when they attempted to wipe out Welsh. The language is marginalised when English is the only route to education and a better life. It still goes on today.

HSBC tells Welsh customer not to complain in 'foreign' language

I lived that.

I'm not Native American Indian. I'm half Armenian.

My dad's parents came here during WWI to escape the christian genocide in the Ottoman Empire.

Neither of them could speak English. There were no schools or any classes that taught the language. The only language they could teach my dad and aunt was their native language.

My dad and aunt didn't learn English until they went to public schools. Then went home and taught it to my grandparents. That's how it was done back then.

My dad refused to teach us kids any language but English. His reason was your last sentence. He didn't want to in his mind, handicap his kids. That we only needed to learn English because everything is in English.

I guess he didn't realize that we could have learned both languages. My aunt taught her kids both languages.

It's a hard thing. My dad did what he thought was best for his kids. He was teased and had to be behind in school at first because he couldn't speak English. He didn't want the same for his kids.

Like every language in the world, each of those twenty is of inestimable human value and is worthy of preservation. ANLC, therefore, continues to document, cultivate, and promote those languages as much as possible and thus contribute to their future and to the heritage of all Alaskans.

Morse code is a language, one devised for the telegraph machine. At one point in time, millions of telegrams were being sent each day providing jobs for thousands of people.

Should we be making an effort to save Morse Code as well?

How about the language of Shorthand? When I was a young man, a lot of secretaries and stenographers knew it well. Should efforts be made to save this language as well- continue to teach it in the government school system?

Trying so hard and failing so completely to draw an equivalence.

What Was, And What Is: Native American Languages In The US

In spite of everything, there are still approximately 150 Native North American languages spoken in the United States today by more than 350,000 people, according to American Community Survey data collected from 2009 to 2013. That’s out of 350 total spoken languages in the country.

Though most of these languages are on the verge of dying out, some are holding on. The Navajo language, for instance, is the most spoken Native American language today, with nearly 170,000 speakers. The next most common is Yupik, at 19,750, which is spoken in Alaska

nativecensus.jpg

In spite of everything, there are still approximately 150 Native North American languages spoken in the United States today by more than 350,000 people, according to American Community Survey data collected from 2009 to 2013. That’s out of 350 total spoken languages in the country.

Though most of these languages are on the verge of dying out, some are holding on. The Navajo language, for instance, is the most spoken Native American language today, with nearly 170,000 speakers. The next most common is Yupik, at 19,750, which is spoken in Alaska

nativecensus.jpg

What benefit would you see if a lot more Indians spoke their native Indian tongues instead of English?

nativecensus.jpg

What benefit would you see if a lot more Indians spoke their native Indian tongues instead of English?
The benefits are to the enrichment of our culture.It strengthens communities and gives minority groups a route to their history and culture. These are good things.

Many tribes across the United States have or are losing their language, it isn’t being taught or used in the tribal schools and the tribe elders in many tribes are not using or promoting their language.
I’m not sure why the Indian tribes aren’t pushing it to those it would mean the most to.

The center strives to raise public awareness of the gravity of language loss worldwide but particularly in the North. Of the state's twenty Native languages, only two (Siberian Yupik in two villages on St. Lawrence Island, and Central Yup'ik in seventeen villages in southwestern Alaska) are spoken by children as the first language of the home.

Alaska isn’t the only place losing their native language, many tribes in the states have their language dying. They failed to pass it down or the children did not see the benefit of carrying on the language. This tribe in Alaska didn’t see the importance of their language and culture until there were only five people left speaking the language, seems very shortsighted by the native Americans. I hope they can preserve it.

It was only after American colonization when missionary and General Agent of Education of the Alaska Territory Sheldon Jackson arrived in Alaska in 1885 did the use of native Alaska languages start to plummet. Jackson implemented an "English Only" policy within the school, legal, and political systems, and any violation to the rule was met with physical and mental punishments and abuse. In 1924, the Alaska Voter's Literacy Act was passed, which demanded native Alaskan citizens to pass an English literacy test before earning the right to vote. This act further decreased the use of Native Alaska languages. Today, many of the Native Alaska languages are either on the brink of extinction or already extinct.[6]

I know that its wikipedia but this rings true. People were actively discouraged from using the language. We had that in Wales when they attempted to wipe out Welsh. The language is marginalised when English is the only route to education and a better life. It still goes on today.

I lived that.

My dad's parents came here during WWI to escape the christian genocide in the Ottoman Empire.

Neither of them could speak English. There were no schools or any classes that taught the language. The only language they could teach my dad and aunt was their native language.

My dad and aunt didn't learn English until they went to public schools. Then went home and taught it to my grandparents. That's how it was done back then.

My dad refused to teach us kids any language but English. His reason was your last sentence. He didn't want to in his mind, handicap his kids. That we only needed to learn English because everything is in English.

I guess he didn't realize that we could have learned both languages. My aunt taught her kids both languages.

It's a hard thing. My dad did what he thought was best for his kids. He was teased and had to be behind in school at first because he couldn't speak English. He didn't want the same for his kids.
My Taid was born in the heart of "Welsh Wales" around Snowdonia. His family moved to an area near the English border when he was a child. Speaking English was the thing to get on. His parents would speak to him in Welsh but he had to reply in English. They insisted on it as speaking English was the path to prosperity. This was a century back. It was a control mechanism to enforce conformity.

nativecensus.jpg

Why would you imagine “in stead of “?

nativecensus.jpg

Why do you see this as a problem ?

nativecensus.jpg

The English language is key in the United States- both civilly as our nation's political debate is conducted in English as well as in commerce and industry. Alaskans living in the wild are in a great position to get jobs working on the oil pipelines as well as the ancillary services associated with the new industry. If Eskimos living in the region can't understand the English language, they aren't really going to be able to move forward with the new employment opportunities. I guess that if someone is satisfied with jobs cleaning the latrines or working the kitchens for the workers, they really don't need to understand our common tongue. But for most things it pretty essential, if an Eskimo family wants to move out of their igloo into a home build of wood or concrete

I lived that.

My Taid was born in the heart of "Welsh Wales" around Snowdonia. His family moved to an area near the English border when he was a child. Speaking English was the thing to get on. His parents would speak to him in Welsh but he had to reply in English. They insisted on it as speaking English was the path to prosperity. This was a century back. It was a control mechanism to enforce conformity.

My grandmother helped a lot of Armenians learn English. She believed it was the path to prosperity. I remember when I was younger sitting with Armenians who are new here helping them to learn the language. I would correct them or supply words for them. I didn't believe I was helping to make the language obsolete. I was just helping them succeed in America.

My dad believed the same. He had the added memory of being in school and being teased and behind at first because he couldn't speak English. I understand why my dad did what he did. I don't know if it was the right thing to do. As I said, my aunt taught her kids both languages. But to be fair, my aunt stayed in Massachusetts. Where there's a good size Armenian population and community. Where my dad and aunt were born and raised. My dad didn't do that. He moved to the other side of the nation where there wasn't a good size population and community of Armenians. No one here even knew what an Armenian was. So the only time my dad spoke the language was when he talked to his mom or sister on the phone or we went to Massachusetts for a visit.

My mom is European. Mostly British and French. She didn't even know the language to teach it to us kids. She taught us English.

It's sad because the language shouldn't die. I should be able to speak it fluently but I don't. It's being taught in public schools in Watertown Massachusetts.

nativecensus.jpg

The English language is key in the United States- both civilly as our nation's political debate is conducted in English as well as in commerce and industry. Alaskans living in the wild are in a great position to get jobs working on the oil pipelines as well as the ancillary services associated with the new industry. If Eskimos living in the region can't understand the English language, they aren't really going to be able to move forward with the new employment opportunities. I guess that if someone is satisfied with jobs cleaning the latrines or working the kitchens for the workers, they really don't need to understand our common tongue. But for most things it pretty essential, if an Eskimo family wants to move out of their igloo into a home build of wood or concrete

Why do you keep assuming a person can only speak one language?

I lived that.

My grandmother helped a lot of Armenians learn English. She believed it was the path to prosperity. I remember when I was younger sitting with Armenians who are new here helping them to learn the language. I would correct them or supply words for them. I didn't believe I was helping to make the language obsolete. I was just helping them succeed in America.

My dad believed the same. He had the added memory of being in school and being teased and behind at first because he couldn't speak English. I understand why my dad did what he did. I don't know if it was the right thing to do. As I said, my aunt taught her kids both languages. But to be fair, my aunt stayed in Massachusetts. Where there's a good size Armenian population and community. Where my dad and aunt were born and raised. My dad didn't do that. He moved to the other side of the nation where there wasn't a good size population and community of Armenians. No one here even knew what an Armenian was. So the only time my dad spoke the language was when he talked to his mom or sister on the phone or we went to Massachusetts for a visit.

My mom is European. Mostly British and French. She didn't even know the language to teach it to us kids. She taught us English.

It's sad because the language shouldn't die. I should be able to speak it fluently but I don't. It's being taught in public schools in Watertown Massachusetts.

There are lots of Armenian churches around MA.

Good folks.

nativecensus.jpg

That argument is the colonisers arguments. Fit in or fuck off. Is it just possible that people could speak two languages ?

nativecensus.jpg

That argument is the colonisers arguments. Fit in or fuck off. Is it just possible that people could speak two languages ?

Some people can indeed speak 2 or more languages.

But the Eskimo people should really be looking to accommodate the immigrants coming into their area- much like we Gringos accommodate the latinos coming into ours. Gringos are expected to learn Spanish- in those locations where we are the immigrants, the people should be learning English

nativecensus.jpg

Some people can indeed speak 2 or more languages.

But the Eskimo people should really be looking to accommodate the immigrants coming into their area- much like we Gringos accommodate the latinos coming into ours. Gringos are expected to learn Spanish- in those locations where we are the immigrants, the people should be learning English

What the heck are you talking about?

Most Native cultures I know of that are struggling to retain their own customs & languages are getting nothing but high fives from their White & other non-Native neighbors. So have fun stirring Ill sentiments between neighbors like you did with BLM so that lgbt had an outrage coattail to ride on.

In fact, public schools near me have several Native language & arts focus courses so that our local Tribes are sure to retain their heritages. Dances are held for the public. Park land has been set aside for their traditional practices both public shared & private. Their public dances & cookouts are packed with happy & supportive crowds. They walk with pride anywhere wearing traditional tattoos, clothing & headwear.

So have fun shredding all that so butt-sex can get a little leverage next election cycle.

Most Native cultures I know of that are struggling to retain their own customs & languages are getting nothing but high fives from their White & other non-Native neighbors. So have fun stirring Ill sentiments between neighbors like you did with BLM so that lgbt had an outrage coattail to ride on.

In fact, public schools near me have several Native language & arts focus courses so that our local Tribes are sure to retain their heritages. Dances are held for the public. Park land has been set aside for their traditional practices both public shared & private. Their public dances & cookouts are packed with happy & supportive crowds. They walk with pride anywhere wearing traditional tattoos, clothing & headwear.

So have fun shredding all that so butt-sex can get a little leverage next election cycle.
That sounds great . But my experience is that the language needs some legal protection on top of that.

That sounds great . But my experience is that the language needs some legal protection on top of that.

Most American Indians in 2019 in this country are very assimilated. Like other ethnic groups, they enter into mixed marriages, get jobs in the Pale Face economy, etc. The traditional lifestyle of living in a teepee and wearing Indian attire isn't that common. Look at Elizabeth Warren, as traditional a squaw as you are going to get. Wears western clothes, lives in a house, married to a Pale Face, doesn't not smoke the traditional peace pipe. The Indian people have given up much of their traditions , why should language be a sacred cow?

Forum List

Back