Alaska declares emergency for Native American languages

Emergency is the correct word when only a handful of people speak the language. Once they are gone that is the end of it. Why are you trying to drag this issue into your nutty anti gay agenda ? This should be something that people can agree needs to be addressed.

How about instead a more accurate neutral phrase like “an ongoing problem nearing the end”. Not one poster here objects to Natives recovering their language. Why would anyone object to that?

YOU accused that conservatives were against it so YOU betrayed a political agenda behind this story.
Alaska Native languages - Wikipedia
Look at the numbers. You can see that emergency is accurate. Why does that offend you ? Its not a Gay word you know.

I am a bit surprised that so many conservatives are hostile to this initiative. I thought that you would support people trying to preserve their culture.
You feign surprise there Tommy. Nobody is hostile to it. Though the word “hostile” does carry an emotional charge. Like “emergency!” In the OP narrative.

Who decided on the new theme? Was it Mook Mafia? Soros?
Emergency is the correct word when only a handful of people speak the language. Once they are gone that is the end of it. Why are you trying to drag this issue into your nutty anti gay agenda ? This should be something that people can agree needs to be addressed.
this is totally ridiculous
if it's the end it's the end

I am a bit surprised that so many conservatives are hostile to this initiative. I thought that you would support people trying to preserve their culture.
You feign surprise there Tommy. Nobody is hostile to it. Though the word “hostile” does carry an emotional charge. Like “emergency!” In the OP narrative.

Alaskans dont think so.

Yes because a language can’t be recorded on a hard drive or printed with accompanying phonetics & taught later.

Alaskans dont think so.
spending $$$$ on stupidshit is stupid
the Germans didn't think hitler was bad either

Alaska has declared an emergency for Native American languages, aiming to promote and preserve all 20 recognized indigenous tongues in the state before they die out.

The order signed this week by the state governor, Bill Walker, directs the state education commissioner to work with partners to promote indigenous languages in public education, KTOO Public Media in Juneau reported.

It also directs the state to use traditional Alaska Native place names on public signs. The order instructs state commissioners to designate a tribal liaison tasked with producing a plan to boost collaboration with Alaska Native partners.

It is sad that it has come to this but heartening that the Governer has taken action. Well done Alaska.
So they are going to spend copius tax dollars to change a bunch of signs to include languages that virtually no one speaks...therefore making the signs confusing and harder to read.

Yes because a language can’t be recorded on a hard drive or printed with accompanying phonetics & taught later.
simple/sensible/etc is not in their minds or vocabulary

Alaska has declared an emergency for Native American languages, aiming to promote and preserve all 20 recognized indigenous tongues in the state before they die out.

The order signed this week by the state governor, Bill Walker, directs the state education commissioner to work with partners to promote indigenous languages in public education, KTOO Public Media in Juneau reported.

It also directs the state to use traditional Alaska Native place names on public signs. The order instructs state commissioners to designate a tribal liaison tasked with producing a plan to boost collaboration with Alaska Native partners.

It is sad that it has come to this but heartening that the Governer has taken action. Well done Alaska.

Languages die out all the time. If even the indigenous people are not using them I don't know why foreigners should care.
This is as ignorant as it is stupid – ignorance and stupidity typical of most on the right.

Languages die out all the time. If even the indigenous people are not using them I don't know why foreigners should care.
This is as ignorant as it is stupid – ignorance and stupidity typical of most on the right.
This is as ignorant as it is stupid – ignorance and stupidity typical of most on the left.

Maybe the schools for these indigenous peoples can give all instructions strictly in the native tongue?

History and math books would be translated into these endangered languages with the testing all done in the languages.

That would ensure that all the next generation knows these soon-to-be-defunct tongues, and that most of the people will not know any English so to communicate with their own people they will be forced to be fluent.

You care as little about saving their language as anyone else. Its not like you are going to help the cause by learning it. By tomorrow, youll have already forgotten that this article ever existed.
No it resonates around the world. Everywhere that smaller cultures rub up against larger ones.

So they are going to spend copius tax dollars to change a bunch of signs to include languages that virtually no one speaks...therefore making the signs confusing and harder to read.
They should do so.

Oh look, Tommy & imNOTwhatiseem are pretending to discuss the topic from two points of view. One playing the role of mean & callous conservative. How cute.

Many tribes across the United States have or are losing their language, it isn’t being taught or used in the tribal schools and the tribe elders in many tribes are not using or promoting their language.
I’m not sure why the Indian tribes aren’t pushing it to those it would mean the most to.

Alaskans dont think so.

If it has been so important to the Alaskan tribes, why have they not taught, used and promoted their native language?

They should do so.
You don't think that. You are just an antagonizer here...also known as a troll.

Forum List

Back